Who Doesn’t Like Yummy Balls? (That’s What She Said)

December 11, 2010

I know that TWSS jokes are a dime a dozen at this point, but I would like to point out that this title was my mom’s idea.  Now you see where I get it from.

That’s right—my mom is here! She flew in from Louisiana last night! Ryan has to stay in town much longer than me to fulfill professorial duties (nerd alert!), so my mom and I are driving with the dogs back down to Louisiana with the dogs, and then Ryan is going to fly down in about a week.  Road trip!!!

Ryan is going to a dessert party tomorrow night, and I knew that if I didn’t supply him with something to bring, he’d resort to Wal-Mart baked goods(I know this because he once tried to woo me with a Wal-Mart peach pie in the early stages of our relationship.  True story.), so we decided to do a little baking today so that he could go to the party with a homemade treat.  We discussed various cookie and brownie options, but, in the end, we decided that we wanted to play around with something a little more original.

Enter: Cake Balls.

I’ve eaten cake balls at various parties and baby showers, but have never made them on my own, so I didn’t know how difficult they would be.  But, perusing the internet, I discovered that cake balls are actually super easy to make! Basically, you bake a cake (obviously you could go the homemade route here, but we kept it easy with box mixes) and then mix it with a cup of a “binder,” like frosting, peanut butter, or nutella (all of which we used…go hard or go home when it comes to balls. TWSS.)

In the end, after discussing various potential combinations (and they really are endless), we went with three combos: yellow cake, mixed with nutella; chocolate cake, mixed with peanut butter; and red velvet cake, mixed with cream cheese icing.

Ummmm…yes. Yes.

To start the process, we baked up the cakes according to the box directions:

Putting on an apron always makes me feel a little like Betty Draper.  Minus the shaky hands and all-out evil personality, that is.

Stop taking pictures and make me a drink!

It was nice having some helper elves in the kitchen for once:

Once the cakes were done baking:

we crumbled them up in separate mixing bowls, then added about a cup of the binders:

Once the binders were added, we got to work kneading the dough with our hands until the cake and the binders were completely combined, which looked something like this:

From there, we were able to form balls:

Which we then set out to cool on the back porch:

Who needs a freezer when you have Pennsylvania winter weather?

After letting the balls cool, we got back to work (twss).

Why go all out and make cake balls if you aren’t going to go balls to the wall with fancy sprinkles?  That kind of sums up my life philosophy. And so, fancy sprinkles it was:

To cover the balls, we used colored candy coating in various colors (which we found at Michael’s, after searching two grocery stores).  We originally tried covering the balls completely, but that was kind of a mess, so in the end, we ended up just dipping half of the ball in the coating, and then leaving the bottom half uncovered.  I actually like them that way, because then you can see what kind of ball you’re getting:

The final cake balls were really cute!! We had a great time decorating them with all different combinations, and the fancy sprinkles really kicked them up a notch!

I’ll leave you with one of my favorite extended ball jokes of all time.  Is it just me, or were they way ahead of their time with this one?

There really is nothing like a schweaty ball.

We’ll be traveling tomorrow and Monday, but I’ll try to get a post up from the road!

1. December 11, 2010 11:50 pm

I’ve always wanted to make cake balls! These look excellent.

2. December 11, 2010 11:57 pm

Those look really good! Which ones were your favorite? For some reason, I keep thinking that if you wanted to fancy it up a bit, mascarpone with maybe a white or a lemon cake would be really good….

3. December 12, 2010 12:09 am

“Stop taking pictures and make me a drink!”— LOL!

You are the only person who would make cakes only to rip them apart. I probably would confess to buying storebought cakes to rip apart.

From start to finish, this all looks amazing!
    You in your apron
    The cakes
    The torn apart cakes
    The frosting
    The sprinkles

BEAUTIFUL work, Anna!!!!!!!

4. Ayla permalink
    December 12, 2010 1:25 am

So pretty!!! I just want to put all those balls in my mouth.
    ……
    😉

5. actorsdiet permalink
    December 12, 2010 2:12 am

those are some beautiful beautiful balls

6. December 12, 2010 3:07 am

Ok, I love your mom without even know her. Anyone mom who can laugh about balls is a great women in my opinion! My mom and I would spend the day making ball jokes too….are these balls too soft? How do you get the balls to come together? I’m feeling the balls and they feel a bit rough, I wonder if they are rough in the mouth too? lol, I’m gross, I must stop.

The balls look gorgeous, by the way. Much better than Walmart goods!

7. December 12, 2010 4:31 am

What a brilliant idea! I’ve never heard of such a thing before, nor have I heard of TWSS. Am I living under a rock or something?

Your photos are nothing short of fantastic. Seriously. Amazing!

8. December 12, 2010 6:25 am

If it were not for TWSS jokes I’d never make it through work.

Cake balls look amazing.

9. December 12, 2010 12:44 pm

I’ve seen Bakerella’s balls so many times, but never made them. I NEED to this holiday season, because they’re so pretty!! I’m thinking a tray of balls- Mama Pea style and cake style.

10. December 12, 2010 2:43 pm

Those are so cute!! I want to go to that party! And I bet you could eat um about 10 of these without feeling guilty! 🙂

11. December 12, 2010 2:55 pm

these are adorable…i hate sprinkles but love the look of the fancy ones 🙂

12. December 12, 2010 3:43 pm

I love your balls 🙂

…that’s what she said.

Jen

13. December 12, 2010 4:05 pm

I have yet to make cake balls but I want to! I made sausage balls last night and cookie dough balls the other day…everyone loves balls! Enjoy your balls today…I hope it is a great one!

14. Emo permalink
    December 12, 2010 4:31 pm

Did your mom tell the story about the kid and the snowman and that’s what she said? Jon and I couldn’t remember exactly how it went, but we cracked up over it the other day.
    Those are some beautiful balls. (yup.) Have fun with your mom!

15. December 12, 2010 5:31 pm

They look FABULOUS! Nice work. His baked goods will be the hit of the party. Safe travels 🙂

16. December 12, 2010 6:22 pm

Haha love your title!

Those balls look sooooo good! I had a gigantic brunch today and thought I wouldn’t get hungry but those pics make my mouth water…

17. Kelly permalink
    December 12, 2010 8:49 pm

Oh mu gosh…I want them all!

18. greensandjeans permalink
    December 12, 2010 10:52 pm

So much ball related humor running through my mind… Of course, it doesn’t help that I can barely read the world “ball” without giggling.

19. December 13, 2010 11:46 am

Laughing. Out. Loud.
    And bookmarking this page! Looks like a fun one to make with my niece next week!

20. December 13, 2010 3:37 pm

Hehe, I just stumbled upon your blog and I’ve got to say those must be the prettiest balls I’ve ever seen 😀 LOL
    Speaking of “ball jokes” my physics teacher once wanted to show us how things fall so he had a ball in each hand and proudly said “I want everybody to look at my balls” hahaha, and if that’s not enough he then said “I want to make it clear that the size of the balls doesn’t matter”. It took him about 10 minutes to realize why we were all giggling 😛

21. December 13, 2010 6:21 pm

Those look great! I’ve never made (or eaten!) cake balls before, but they look sooooo much better than donut holes.

22. December 13, 2010 7:07 pm

I definitely would want to kno what kind of balls I was getting. I don’t like nutty balls you see. I prefer moist balls, however.

😉

23. December 13, 2010 7:10 pm

We make cake balls frequently. The key to coating the whole thing is to use bamboo skewers — dip them and then twirl a little over until the set. The twirling is the only baking I can get hubby to do with me — he’ll get like 5 skewers per hand and is very proud of himself. Anyway, we’ve found them easier to eat at parties when they’re fully coated since they’ll get crumbly at room temp if only partially coated. But either way, the taste is delish!

24. December 13, 2010 9:14 pm

What a great apron! and I am making oreo balls for New Years!

25. December 13, 2010 10:33 pm

haha I love your balls 😉

What a great idea!!

26. December 14, 2010 12:03 am

These look wonderful, I’ve been wanted to try a cake ball recipe since seeing them. Maybe this holiday season for my nieces. And ball jokes never get old. 🙂

27. December 14, 2010 1:34 am

Im a huge TWSS fan. I know it should be “getting old,” but I can’t get over it. and i dont want to.

As for these cake balls…. YUM! The pictures are gorgeous. They really look like they should be in a bakery.

28. December 14, 2010 1:56 am

dude those look kick ass. i think that facebook trend thing is adorable.

29. December 14, 2010 2:06 am

I’ve heard so much about cake balls but never made them or had one…they look DIVINE!!! 🙂 Wal-Mart peach pie must not be too bad…it worked out for him 😉

30. December 15, 2010 12:37 am

When I tried making cake balls it was such a big fail because I used the wrong kind of chocolate. After all that work they were ruined and I’ve yet to try them again…this post is inspiring me to get back on the horse, lol

31. December 15, 2010 7:02 am

“My mom is a big fan of TWSS moments, so I knew that spending the afternoon making balls jokes was right up her alley.”
    HA! Sounds like my kind of mom.
    -Lisa

32. JenATX permalink
    December 21, 2010 12:20 am

my roommate cake balls the other night & we didn’t crack a single joke.. what the heck?! i think we were all stressed out by the holidays & not thinking straight.. by the way, your mom is funny. this post reminds me of the post last year where she walked by the teenager making the snowman & she totally gave him a TWSS joke. i forget the details but it was hilar

• December 21, 2010 12:30 am

She is pretty funny! She definitely likes a good TWSS joke 🙂

Trackbacks

1. An Antidote to the Sweetness « Newlywed, Newly Veg!
  2. Tis The Season For Balls « On Anna's Plate