Just Get Through It

December 1, 2010

Hey guys! The next two weeks are going to be *crazy*, and that’s exactly what I’m going to have to do—just get through it.  In addition to wrapping up my own classes, another English professor has fallen ill, so I’ve agreed to handle her classes for the next two weeks as well.  This, in addition to grading, shopping for the holidays, and preparing to head home in a few weeks.  Whew! I’m going to do my best to not turn into a grinch.

Last night, I returned home after teaching ready for a warm, comforting meal.  It literally poured down rain from the minute I got up yesterday to the minute we turned off the lights for bed.  And it’s still going.  Grrrrrroan. Comfort food was definitely on the menu.

We still have a stockpile of squash in the pantry, so I grabbed one of the buttercup squashes, sliced it into one inch pieces, tossed them in a little sesame oil and shoyu, and then baked them for about 30 minutes at 400 degrees.

Hey, here’s a question for you—is there a difference between buttercup squash and kabocha squash?  They look the same…and taste very similar.  I think our buttercup wasn’t quite as sweet and mellow as the kabochas, but that’s just my opinion.

To go along with the squash, we had pearled barley.  I always forget that this serves as a great alternative to rice or quinoa—and it couldn’t be easier.  I simply brought a cup of barley and 2 cups of water up to a boil, then reduced the heat and simmered it for 30 minutes.  Easy, peasy!

Barley:

and topped with squash:

It is still *nasty* outside, but I’m going to do my best to ignore it.  We actually have a fun dinner party to go to tonight, so at least there’s that to look forward to, right?

Have a great hump day!

OH!!! And—if you think I forgot about my November challenge—I didn’t! I actually eeeeeeeked out my last mile yesterday, and met my goal—150 miles in November! Woo hoo!

This challenge was great for getting me out and walking/running, even when the weather was bad.  It was also a great way to keep moving during the week of Thanksgiving, especially after my half-marathon, when I really just wanted to lay around and eat pie.  Okay, I did those things too…but in between the laying and the pie-eating, I walked!

Haven’t decided on a December challenge yet…and it’s the first of December.  Whoops! I’ll report back on that one soon…*very* soon!

1. December 1, 2010 1:40 pm

Good luck with these next two weeks! I know how hard they are for students. I can only imagine what they’re like for teachers

• December 1, 2010 1:44 pm

Having been on both sides, I can confidently say that they’re harder for the students…the thought of finals week still stresses me out. But– the end of the semester is no cake walk for anyone, teacher OR student. Good luck in yours as well!

2. December 1, 2010 1:55 pm

I don’t know if there is a difference between buttercup and kabocha, but mine have looked different…the buttercup had a little “hat” on it. I also think it’s flavor is a little mellower…”nuttier”?

3. December 1, 2010 1:57 pm

Oh Anna, good luck getting through all of that. Definitely go to the easy comfort meals this month! I think the squashes are either the same or a hybrid of each other. I have never had kabocha, but I have had buttercup and love it. So, I am not 100% sure on it, but they seem awfully close. Have a great day sweetie!

4. December 1, 2010 2:04 pm

Great job on meeting your goal!

5. Ginger permalink
    December 1, 2010 2:20 pm

Congratulations on your November challenge! That’s lots of miles! I made your potato and leek soup last night and it was delicious! Good luck with your busy schedule.

6. December 1, 2010 2:59 pm

I love using pearled barley instead of rice. I think it takes on more flavor. At least you have a nice vacation to look forward to!

7. December 1, 2010 3:13 pm

congrats on 150 miles! that’s awesome!

8. December 1, 2010 3:56 pm

Whoa girl…150 miles! That’s awesome!

I hear ya on the busy weeks. Work is kickin’ my bootay!

9. December 1, 2010 4:03 pm

Hope the next 2 weeks aren’t too rough on ya. I forget about barley… Kinda out of sight out of mind thing. I need to put it on my grocery list to keep on hand. It’s such a tasty grain.

10. December 1, 2010 4:10 pm

The weather has sucked for the past two days. Congrats on your Nov challenge!

11. December 1, 2010 4:33 pm

The next two weeks will be crazy for anyone who’s a part of college life…eek!! Hang in there!

• December 1, 2010 5:00 pm

Yes, true! The students have it even worse, I know.

12. December 1, 2010 5:54 pm

Congrats on getting 150 miles this month! That’s so awesome! 🙂

13. December 1, 2010 6:26 pm

Congrats on reaching your goal! Dinner looks delicious! Best of luck in the last crazy weeks of the semester.

14. Elyssa permalink
    December 1, 2010 6:27 pm

Congratulations, Anna! That’s huge!!! I’m psyching myself up to continue doing morning walks even during wintry weather, and you’re an inspiration!

15. December 1, 2010 6:40 pm

Wow, hang in there! I always crave comfort foods on cold, rainy days. This squash dish looks wonderful!

Congrats on reaching your November goal, that’s a lot of miles! I’m looking at setting pretty high goal for December … in the freezing cold. 😛

16. December 1, 2010 8:08 pm

Wow! 150 miles? You are a rockstar!

• December 1, 2010 8:44 pm

Don’t worry…a LOT of it was walking…plus, it helped that November was the month of my half mary 🙂