Get Lit

November 30, 2010

Ugh—was yesterday a struggle for anyone else?  My computer seemed to be working through some kinks, my teaching schedule was thrown off, I found not one, not two, but THREE puddles of dried pee on our hardwood floors (thank you, Baxter)…the holiday weekend is over alright.

One bright spot?  We got our outdoor lights strung up!

When I was little, we used to hang the really BIG colored bulbs.  You know, the retro kind that you now only really see as decoration in Mexican restaurants? Sigh.  I miss those bulbs.  Somewhere along the way, everyone seemed to decide that, as Phil said in last week’s Modern Family, “If you ain’t white, you ain’t right.”  Along with everyone else, we’ve succumbed to the idea that the classy white twinkle lights are the way to go.  One of these years, we’ll hang the big colored bulbs again.

Until then…

White bulbs it is.

After freezing our tails off to get the snowflakes hung *just* right:

…we headed inside for a warm stir-fry dinner:

Broccoli, onions, and tempeh over kelp noodles.  Yum!

Off to a body sculp class, and then teaching all afternoon.  See you tonight!

1. November 30, 2010 2:09 pm

Agh, I think yesterday was rough for EVERYONE. By 2pm, I was ready for my holiday weekend nap and had a pounding headache. Your lights look great and festive, so at least all was not lost. Btw – I made your olive puffs for Thanksgiving and they worked out wonderfully. I posted about it on my blog today! Thanks for sharing!

• November 30, 2010 2:11 pm

So glad they worked well!! It’s a great simple recipe!

2. November 30, 2010 3:02 pm

We do white lights on the outside, but our tree has a combo of white and colored lights. I couldn’t deny having a bit of color in there!

3. November 30, 2010 3:15 pm

The lights look beautiful! I am so ready to decorate!

4. November 30, 2010 3:32 pm

Yesterday was a definite struggle kind of day. Your lights look great!

5. November 30, 2010 3:37 pm

the lights look amazing! i can’t bring myself to do the outside of our house too, but the inside is finally all lit up 🙂

6. November 30, 2010 4:17 pm

Love your lights! So festive and cheerful!

7. November 30, 2010 4:20 pm

I love Christmas lights! I prefer the white lights because it looks more romantic and magical, but I do think that the bright colored ones look more festive. Your outdoor decors look great!

8. November 30, 2010 4:45 pm

Kelp noodles? Those sound exciting!

9. November 30, 2010 6:10 pm

My dad would still use the colored bulbs if he could. My mom forced him to upgrade a few years ago. And one of our neighbors has a HUGE pine tree in their front yard covered in the colored ones. They must have put them up about ten years ago and just changed invididual bulbs since then, because only the bottom half of the tree is lit up!

10. November 30, 2010 6:48 pm

I miss those big old Chrismas lights! But I do agree with you, the white lights look super pretty. Besides, Im pretty sure Clark Griswold showed us years ago how much you can do with white lights. 🙂

11. November 30, 2010 7:09 pm

Oh pretty! Love holiday lights so much. I’m starting to see a bit more of the retro bulbs here and there, but I think they are hard to find.

12. November 30, 2010 7:34 pm

We always have those big colorful lights!! The only ones my Dad will use!

13. November 30, 2010 9:02 pm

Your lights AND dinner look delicious and the picture of you is beautiful 🙂 Hope you had a better day today !

14. November 30, 2010 9:48 pm

Just bought kelp noodles! I’m nervous to try…, I heard they smell funny(?) haha

15. Kelly permalink
    November 30, 2010 11:34 pm

Dinner looks so good and I love the snowflakes!

16. greensandjeans permalink
    December 1, 2010 12:20 am

my parents have those giant balls! (ew, I hope I never write “parents” and “balls” in the same sentence EVER again)

17. December 1, 2010 12:48 am

Lovely. We got our tree up and it looks so great! (Ok, it’s our first tree so it doesn’t really have much competition). We used to have colored lights growing up, and the white lights are just not as fun and childish as those big colored ones.

18. December 1, 2010 1:39 am

How cute is your little house!! I am in love with these snowflakes! oooohhh how I love everything sparkling at Christmas.

Yummy looking dinner too!

xxoo

19. December 1, 2010 1:45 am

Sorry about the pee findings:(
    Your lights look great! We put up some white lights outside – but just a few. LOL at the modern family quote. Phil seriously makes that show.

• December 1, 2010 5:02 pm

Definitely– he’s my favorite! He actually kind of reminds me of my husband, which I find both hilarious and irritating at the same time…much like my husband 🙂

20. December 1, 2010 2:00 am

Your outdoor lights look AWESOME girlfriend! And, I love a good stir fry dinner – it’s always our go-to when we don’t have anything planned!

21. December 1, 2010 4:11 am

the brock just looks PERFECT! I just want to chomp into it!

as do those lights! my parents divorced multiple times (almost..!!!) over holiday lights and trees and decoration-putting up every year. What an ordeal that always was!

22. December 1, 2010 7:06 am

YUM! That stir-fry looks delicious!!! Broccoli is the best stir-fry vegetable in my opinion. It’s like it was born for the job! 😉

Awesome blog!

23. December 1, 2010 12:54 pm

I love your lights! I wish my neighbors would take a lesson from you. It looks like the Grizwald’s moved into my hood this week!

24. December 1, 2010 1:17 pm

I like the lights! My mom does the retro multi-colored big lights, too. I try to get her to switch up- but she won’t budge. It’s all the pretty colors that get her every year…

• December 1, 2010 1:34 pm

Yay!!! So glad someone is still doing those lights! I love them!

25. December 1, 2010 6:42 pm

This week has been a struggle for me so far. I love the outdoor lights, hopefully I can get hubby to put some up this year. Yours are beautiful! And the tempeh stir fry looks great.

26. JenATX permalink
    December 21, 2010 12:48 am

i used to be all white as well & I think I am kind of rebelling by using colored lights. Living on the edge!

27. Emilio Paule permalink
    November 8, 2012 9:46 am

I always love outdoor decors because they make your home look even more beautiful. :

View the most up-to-date short article on our personal internet page