Reunited and it feels…so good?

November 19, 2010

As I’ve mentioned before, while we’re actually starting to really like Pennsylvania, we really hate being so far away from our families.

Living so far away means that basically every time we see Sophie, she has to learn who we are all over again.  It’s been a little over a month since the last time we saw Sophie, and well, let’s just say that our reunion today wasn’t as sweet as we’d hoped it would be.

You know the expression “staring daggers”?

Well, Sophie was staring full-on swords in our direction.

Eventually she warmed up enough to let me hold her…but even this was a move that was met with much trepidation:

Oh yeah.  That look says, “This is my aunt, and I love her.”  Or, “I have no idea who this woman is.  I think she’s about to steal me and sell me on the black market, but not before dressing me up as fruit and vegetables and taking pictures of me for a baby exploitation calendar.”

Not that there’s anything wrong with that…

8b8a7bdea37ddfd6_the-office-baby-shower-2

And then things kind of went downhill:

Oh well.  She’s on her way to learning the lesson that all of us learn eventually: You can’t choose your family, no matter how much they scare you, annoy you, or make you cry.

Sorry, kiddo. You’re stuck with me.  🙂

Despite the crying, lunch was great.  We were eating at Earthereal, one of my favorite Shreveport vegetarian restaurants (and my employer in high school and college summers).

I enjoyed two vegetarian tacos stuffed with guacamole and soy crumbles.  Yum!

We’re off to pick up our race packets for the half marathon tomorrow! Can’t believe it’s time to run the race!

See you at dinner!

1. November 19, 2010 8:58 pm

Sophie is back!! Such an adorable baby…she’s gotten so big!! Good luck on the half tomorrow!

2. November 19, 2010 9:11 pm

i can’t believe it’s here! hope everything goes well…i’ll be looking for a recap post 🙂

3. November 19, 2010 9:26 pm

lol I totally thought of that scene in the office 😀

Sophie is so stinkin cute!!! Enjoy the time with your family!

4. November 19, 2010 9:44 pm

oh, the first photo of you & Sophie… the look on her face is priceless!!

have a great race!!

5. November 19, 2010 10:24 pm

Sophie is adorable!! I love her cute little shirt.

6. November 19, 2010 10:44 pm

I HATE being so far away from my family! They are all in Virginia and my nephews have no idea who we are. She will warm up and the heartbreak with be there again when it is time to go. Enjoy your family!

7. greensandjeans permalink
    November 19, 2010 10:52 pm

She is getting SO big! It’s really hard to be away from my family. Since I left for college eons ago, I’ve always lived VERY far from home and I usually only get back for Christmas and if I’m lucky one other random time during the year. I’m reallly close with my parents and brother so it’s rough!

8. Ayla permalink
    November 19, 2010 11:36 pm

Haha, aww ,poor Sophie. She may be forgetting you now but eventually she’ll start to remember you. Unfortunately that means we don’t get to be amused by pictures such as these. 😉

9. November 19, 2010 11:57 pm

Sophie is so cute! I remember when my nieces went through the “You’re not mom!” phase. 🙂

10. November 20, 2010 12:20 am

I can’t stand her adorableness.

11. November 20, 2010 12:35 am

Good luck on your race! Your niece is adorable, she will remember who you are soon. We will far from my nieces and nephews and eventually they will be leaving messages on your voicemail saying they miss you!

12. November 20, 2010 2:20 am

Good luck on your race girl. I hate that you can’t see that precious girl every day 😦

13. November 20, 2010 3:48 am

Good luck on your half!!!!!!

And sophie, really, not kidding..needs to be in magazines or the gerber baby! 🙂

14. Kim permalink
    November 20, 2010 6:08 am

I know how you feel. I’m a young academic as well, and far from family. It’s tough to be away. The teaching schedule is, well, odd. And my nieces have to “re-meet” me as well. Just so you know….you’re not alone!

But on the “up” side – I do love your recipes and copious pictures of squashes!

15. November 20, 2010 6:13 am

Well, i totally knew this race was the weekend before thanksgiving because my best friend is running it as well as you. However, it never clicked in my mind that it was THIS weekend. Thanksgiving really came out of nowhere… But anyway, good luck in the morning and have fun!

16. November 20, 2010 12:31 pm

ah! Good luck at the half! Hope you rock it. I feel the same way about my niece! My sister lives in Boston and I rarely get to see her. Every time I show up I feel like she looks at me like WHO is this chick? Those veg tacos look amazing.

17. November 20, 2010 2:49 pm

good luck tomorrow! it must be so hard seeing such a sweet face so infrequently.

18. November 20, 2010 3:08 pm

aw- Sophie is adorable. Im sure she wont leave your side in another couple of years.