C is for Cookie

November 13, 2010

It’s good enough for me.

Last night, we met up with some friends to celebrate our friend Rachael’s birthday.  We started at the movie theater, where we caught a viewing of Unstoppable (much of which was shot right here in our area! Our department head was actually an extra in the movie! We kept an eye out for him, but alas…he was not spotted.  Or maybe I was just too busy watching Denzel Washington and Chris Pine 🙂 ).  Then, we went out for a Mexican dinner, complete with ear-blasting birthday serenade from the servers.  Awesome.

I wanted to bake something for Rachael to ensure that her birthday was extra sweet (ha), so I spent yesterday afternoon in our kitchen, experimenting with vegan cookies!

First up: Mama Pea’s peanut-butter chocolate chip dough balls:

Mmmmm…these were really good!  Mama Pea says that these might be the best thing she’s ever made, and I believe her.  You can see her recipe here.  I followed the directions for the most part, but had to make a few small changes (Jif instead of all-natural PB, extra chocolate chips subbed for the peanut-butter chips).  My only problem?

My dough was a little dry:

Not sure what I did wrong?  I added a splash of soy milk and about a teaspoon of safflower oil, and it moistened right up.  But—I think it also caused the cookies to spread a little more than Mama Pea’s did.  These were a little more “cookie” and a little less “dough:”

(Hmmmm….one seems to have gone mysteriously missing from the pan.  Walter must have made his way into the kitchen.)

No worries—they were still 100% delicious.

Next up: sugar cookies.  I tried my hand at vegan sugar cookies, creating my own “mash-up” recipe after viewing several in cookbooks and online.

This mash-up was far less successful than the ones we all enjoy so much on Glee.

I made a simple sugar cookie dough, and then rolled the cookies in sprinkles:

All of the colors made me feel like I was in an episode of Jem.  Which is not a bad thing, per say.

image

Unfortunately, these were less successful than the dough balls:

Despite their cute truly outrageous colors, they spread too much! They tasted good, but the cookies came out much bigger than expected, and deflated really quickly.  I’m going to keep working on the recipe though…hopefully I’ll perfect it with a few more tries!

They also kind of sent me into sugar shock.  The combination of the sprinkles and the sugar in the cookie was a bit much.  But if you have a sugar feign in your house (ahem, *Ryan*), I guarantee you they’d like these.

We ended up with a TON of cookies, so I packaged them up and handed them out to our friends at the birthday celebration:

Just call me Santa Claus.  Or, “the girl who wins people over with baked goods.”

This morning, I’m off for my long run (the last one before the race next weekend!!!), and then we’re going to a sea shanty party.

Yes, I said sea shanty party.

Don’t ask.

Hope you’re having a great weekend!

1. November 13, 2010 3:07 pm

The cookies all look perfect to me! Jem, dang it has been a long time since I even remotely thought of that! Have fun on your run and at the party!

2. November 13, 2010 3:43 pm

Those cookies look amazing, especially the chocolate chip! I’ll bet vegan baking is an art, to get things tasty and good-looking! But really, the taste is all that matters 🙂 Your friend is lucky to have you!

3. greensandjeans permalink
    November 13, 2010 4:31 pm

I sea shanty party sounds fantastic! I can only hope you have a nautical outfit planned

4. November 13, 2010 5:39 pm

I’ve been on a cookie kick recently. I need to try gluten free sugar cookies, because gee if sugar cookies just aren’t the best I don’t know what are.

5. November 13, 2010 7:13 pm

well they tasted good and that matters most! I love the fun, bright colors. Hadn’t thought of Jem in eons. Man now I feel old 😉

6. November 13, 2010 8:53 pm

Bake me cookies please!

7. Emo permalink
    November 13, 2010 9:03 pm

Um, no, sorry, I have to ask: what? And, will you post pictures? The cookies look yummy and they’re so pretty with the ribbon!

8. November 13, 2010 9:31 pm

Wow, cookie heaven here! They all look wonderful, how fun. Wow – Jem brings back memories! 🙂

9. November 13, 2010 10:41 pm

I have a raw vegan sugar cookie dough recipe that’s darn good. you could just roll them in the brightly colored sugar and call it a day

mama peas cookie recipe has been everywhere lately!

tomorrow i am posting what may be my best recipe ever. It uses peanut flour and the cookies are beyond good. And i am relinking 4 of my previous choco + Pb cookie combos so maybe you can put all these recipes from blogs and cookbooks together and find something that works…

but i think what you already did totally looks like it worked! 🙂

10. November 14, 2010 4:01 am

yummm those cookies look great, and the colorful sprinkles are such a fun idea!

11. November 14, 2010 4:23 am

should i give you my address so you can send me some? 😉

12. November 14, 2010 4:52 am

I’ve been seeing these cookies everywhere! Are they really worth the hype? I’ve actually tried the real ones at the festival…I liked it, but didn’t love it.

13. November 14, 2010 3:00 pm

I would gladly take those cookies off your hands, haha

Look good!! I cannot wait to make some Christmas cookies and decorate them and all…um yes I still look forward to that ; ) haha

~
    Michelle

14. November 14, 2010 3:25 pm

mmm just hand over the bowl of dough and im a happy girl ❤ i kinda love that it was on the dry side, means i could enjoy it with a tea to help even it out. lol either way- YUM, and it made for some very yummy looking cookies!!

15. Rachael permalink
    November 14, 2010 4:58 pm

I am so lucky to be your friend, Anna! In fact, if you take the Ben Folds song “The Luckiest” and take out all romantic overtones (and that creepy verse that goes: What if I’d been born 50 years before you in a house on a street where you lived. Maybe I’d be outside as you passed on your bike. Would I know?) then you’d have something left that might express my unbelievable luck.

16. patti permalink
    November 14, 2010 9:16 pm

I am a cookie fan your yours look delicious. The sugar cookies look nice with the sprinkle variety. I was wondering what leavener you used – baking powder or soda? This might have made the difference on the texture. If you use baking soda, it must have something acidic in the recipe for it to activate. Snickerdoodles add cream of tartar for that reason. I am really interested in the science of cooking and always trying to work from that angle. You are so adventurous in your recipes and I look forward to seeing what you come up with next. I’m not even sure that I have seen many repeats in the year you have been writing your blog. You are an inspiration to people like me who can get stuck in a cooking rut 🙂

17. November 14, 2010 11:31 pm

everyone’s been making those balls!