Gimme Some Comfort

November 12, 2010

Hi friends! I’m about to head out for a morning yogalates class.  I’ve never been to this one before, so I’m hoping it’s a good one! Now that my race training is coming to an end, I’d like to try out more classes at our gym.

And speaking of exercise:

Operation Turkey Trot is coming along nicely! I think I’ll be able to tackle this one…but it’s getting harder now that the days are so short!

Last night, after a long day of teaching, I headed home pretty exhausted.  On nights like that, it’s always so tempting to just heat up an Amy’s frozen dinner, or make a sandwich, or even just eat cereal for dinner.  Still, I find that if I just force myself to actually cook, I’m usually SO glad that I did.  Last night was no exception.  Before I could talk myself out of it, I got started on a veggie-ful dish with the remaining daikon and an eggplant.  I was just kind of winging this one, but it turned out good!

I sauteed the eggplant and daikon in a bit of olive oil for about 10 minutes, and seasoned them generously with salt, pepper, cumin seeds, and garam masala.  Then, I added a can and a half of stewed tomatoes along with about a cup of water.  I let this simmer on the stove for 30 minutes until it got nice and thick.  Voila! Healthy dinner with relatively little effort!

We served it with golden raisins and coconut over red couscous:

Much more satisfying than cereal, I’ll tell you that!

Off to yogalates! See you at lunch!

1. November 12, 2010 1:10 pm

um, holy YUM this sounds great! perfect blend of sweet and savory 🙂

2. November 12, 2010 1:29 pm

Dinner looks great especially for just tossing something together. Love it when that happens.

3. November 12, 2010 1:44 pm

I wanted cereal last night too, but made dinner and was glad I did! Have fun today!

4. November 12, 2010 1:59 pm

Your November goal is going great! Hope yogalates was fun!

5. November 12, 2010 2:19 pm

Have fun at yogalates class. Love this dish – a little sweet and savory, YUM

6. November 12, 2010 4:05 pm

YUM! Great job putting together a delicious dinner despite being tired (I really like the addition of the raisins). I try to pre-prep as many grains & veggies as I can so that dinner comes together as quickly as possible. I hope you have a great weekend

7. November 12, 2010 6:46 pm

Do you want to just come over and cook fancy dinners for me? I would love it 😀

Good luck with your training! I wish I was doing a Turkey Trot.

8. November 12, 2010 7:30 pm

Doesn’t garam masala bring everything to a whole new level? I love the stuff!!

9. November 12, 2010 8:44 pm

your so creative with your toppings

• November 13, 2010 1:51 pm

Not really….I just do anything I can to add sweet flavors to my dishes 🙂

10. greensandjeans permalink
    November 12, 2010 8:49 pm

As good and easy as cereal is, I’m always glad when I take an extra few minutes to make something!

11. November 12, 2010 11:31 pm

Oh yeah, I know that feeling! When I get home form work I have to force myself NOT to sit down, because if I do, I’m stuck. So I have this thing where I don’t consider myself off work until AFTER dinner, and that’s when I sit down 🙂
    The daikon and eggplant combo sounds fantastic. I have been into sauteed parsnips lately but daikon should be added to my list!

• November 13, 2010 1:50 pm

Mmmm, I love parsnips too! I haven’t had them in a while…thanks for the reminder!

12. November 12, 2010 11:31 pm

Yum, this sounds great. Last night was the same for me, I thought I’d just have leftovers to keep it simple and ended up spending nearly an hour creating a new lentil recipe!

13. November 13, 2010 12:11 pm