Plant Love

November 3, 2010

Hey guys! Happy hump day! This morning, I worked my way through (virtual) pile of grading for my online course…brain-numbing work, to be sure.  By the time I was done, my fingers were cramped from all the typing, and my eyes were slightly glazed over from staring at the computer screen all morning.  Lovely.

In order to bring myself out of my grading-induced stupor, I headed outside for a run.  I wanted to enjoy the beeeeeeeautiful weather we’re having here…and enjoy it I did! This has been the BEST fall—sunny days, cool, but not cold temperatures…sigh.  I don’t want it to end!

As I ran, I listened to a podcast interview with Dr. T. Colin Campbell, author of The China Study.  I eat a very plant-based diet already (although I do tend to go heavy on the soy products…I have a major tofu obsession), and listening to Campbell’s assertions about the connections between high protein diets and things like heart disease and cancer only reinforced my belief that a plant-based diet is the best way to eat for sound living.  I’d love to read The China Study in full…I might have to click on over to amazon after I post this!

After listening to Dr. Campbell wax on and on about the benefits of a plant-based diet, it was only appropriate that I eat my fair share of plants for lunch! To help get the job done, I busted out an old friend—my spiralizer!! I kind of forgot about this appliance…it’s been collecting dust in my cabinet for the last couple of months! I was glad to put it to use again for my lunch salad:

This salad had a lot of plant love going on.  It had…spinach, arugula, carrots, grapes, tomatoes, hemp seeds, walnuts, and raw cracker “croutons,” all topped with Bragg’s vinaigrette dressing.  Yum!

Not sure if a post will be up tonight…we’re going to a blue grass concert in State College with our friends Lee and Steve!   I’ll try to get some pictures to share with y’all…I guess I’ll just see ya when I see ya!

1. November 3, 2010 6:37 pm

I have some major plant lovin’ going on in my life, too. [Although I make way too many exceptions for bacon…] Soy is also my favorite protein source, but I worry sometimes about eating TOO much…tofu, tempeh, soy-based protein bars…

2. November 3, 2010 7:06 pm

That should be fun! I want a spiralizer so badly. They had one at a place I worked at years ago and I have not used one since, but I think I would get more out of it now than I did then. Have fun tonight!

3. November 3, 2010 7:15 pm

Sounds like a yummy salad, I think spiralizers are so cool!

4. November 3, 2010 7:50 pm

I agree! This has been the BEST fall.

5. November 3, 2010 8:36 pm

Looks like a delicious salad. I always want to experiment more with my salads but never do. This looks like a nice mixture.

6. November 3, 2010 8:46 pm

oh wow- i want some of those raw croutons! the whole salad looks like a blessing after a day of computer-staring.

7. November 3, 2010 8:55 pm

The China Study is on my “to-read” list. It sounds so interesting!

I agree, I really do NOT want the cold (winter) to come!

8. November 3, 2010 10:52 pm

Can you believe it that I still have not read the China Study, hopefully soon 😉 I eat a very high plant based diet and I love it! It makes me feel so good 🙂 Your salad looks amazing! BTW I love my spirlizer because you can do so many fun things with it, LOL

9. November 4, 2010 1:01 am

I think its so great you listen to podcasts when running! For me its music or nothing 😉

Gorgeous pics by the way 🙂

10. November 4, 2010 10:16 am

It has been a gorgeous fall…until this week, anyways 🙂 I hope you had fun at the concert! Those pictures make me want a big’ol salad for breakfast 🙂

11. November 4, 2010 12:07 pm

oooh! I do love a BIG salad with a hearty healthy crunch!

12. November 4, 2010 12:48 pm

Salad looks fantastic. Love the “croutons.” I hear you on the tofu. I never thought I’d like it, now I could turn it into dinner 3 or 4 times a week.

13. November 4, 2010 7:14 pm

I read The China Study a few years ago and it’s actually one of the main things that helped me transition from vegetarian to HEALTHY vegetarian. Research is convincing and I wonder how this isn’t more commonly known (well, I understand special interest groups, advertising, lobbying, subsidies, etc., so I guess I do know how!).

14. November 4, 2010 8:13 pm

I really want to read the China Study too. I have no idea why I haven’t picked up a copy yet.