I Would Walk 500 Miles

November 1, 2010

Well, maybe not 500.  How about 150?

Hey guys! October is officially over…which means that it’s time for a new challenge! We did pretty well in our October challenge (clean out the pantry). We still have a lot of pasta and rice to work through, but all in all, we did a good job cleaning out some of our shelf-hogging foods!

For November, I’m moving away from food and focusing more on activity.  In the past, November has always kind of marked the beginning of my winter slump.  I tend to start exercising less.  The days get colder and shorter, which I definitely use as an excuse to sit around at night, doing a whole lotta nothing! This November, as a way to motivate myself to move more instead of going into full-on hibernation mode, I’m going to do a mileage challenge for the month of November.  My goal: walk or run at least 150 miles this month.

Sounds like a lot, right?  Or, maybe it doesn’t sound like a lot to you, but it does to me!! 🙂

But—I’m including in that number all of my half-marathon training runs, of which I have two long runs left, as well as the actual half marathon.  So, that roughly equals 36 miles already.  150 minus 36 is 114, and 114 divided by 27 (the number of days in November, minus my three long runs) is 4.2.  So, basically, I need to walk or run about 4 miles a day to reach my goal.  I’m including things like dog walks and runs/walks on the treadmill in my mileage, which I’ll post on a daily basis.

I think this will be a fun challenge, and one that will help me to beat the stress of the holidays as well! Feel free to join in with me with your own mileage challenge, if you want!

*          *          *

Lunch today was boring, but dinner last night was delicious, so I’ll post those pics instead!

I never roast my own beets.  I have no idea why…I love them! Whenever we eat out, my eyes (or stomach) are always drawn to the roast beet salad that is inevitably featured on the menu.  So, last night, I put my beet roasting fears aside and made my own version of that salad.

You don’t scare me.

To prep the beet, I simply peeled it, chopped it, and tossed it with olive oil and salt and pepper.  I roasted the beet chunks in the oven for about 25 minutes at 350 degrees, until they were easily pierced with a fork.

For the salad, we served the beets atop a bed of arugula (love how spicy this green is!), along with toasted walnuts, goat cheese, and balsamic dressing.  Every bit as fancy as a restaurant salad, for a mere fraction of the price!

Hope you’re having a great day! See you tonight!

1. November 1, 2010 5:58 pm

i so wish i liked beets! they’re so beautiful but the flavah just doesn’t jive with me 🙂

• November 1, 2010 5:59 pm

Ryan doesn’t like them either. Which I kind of forgot until they were roasting in the oven. Whoops 🙂

2. November 1, 2010 5:58 pm

I like your challenge! Attainable, and yet I’m sure it will be satisfying when you achieve it (which I’m sure you will).

I LOVE beets, but I’m scared of them too. I did roast them once (and only once) and have yet to try again.

3. November 1, 2010 6:00 pm

You are such an inspiration with your challenges! I love watching you work through them too! You have such a great attitude. I LOVE roasted beets! That salad looks amazing!

4. November 1, 2010 6:04 pm

I love beetroot, but am terrified of staining myself, my clothes, my kitchen. I just don’t like the jelly-like pickled kind they sell at my local supermarket 😦

That sounds like a great challenge! I might just join in!

5. November 1, 2010 6:13 pm

Sounds like a great challenge to me. Good luck!

6. November 1, 2010 6:30 pm

Great challenge idea… it definitely is the start of the winter slump. This morning it was 30 degrees in Boston! The walking will help with the no-gain gym challenge as well!

7. November 1, 2010 6:53 pm

If you’re including all walking/running then I think it sounds very doable! 🙂

8. November 1, 2010 7:13 pm

i love the new header! so bright!

beets. love.them. King of plant based iron source! Never needed prenatal iron pills, i just ate beets. Roasting until tender, w/ EVOO, S & P, some ginger powder, oh yeah, love it.

The challenge, awesome!!!! So glad you’re embracing fitness this year, unlike the slumps you mentioend in the past…Ill do it with you! Well, I already do 125-150 miles a month anyway so I am here for you in spirit, any time!! I will happily give you a kick in the cyber butt if you need one…kidding 🙂 You can do it girl!!!!!!

9. November 1, 2010 7:43 pm

I really wish I liked beets, because they look good, but I just can’t like them!!!! Good luck with your November challenge 🙂

Jen

10. November 1, 2010 8:22 pm

Awesome challenge, I’m training for a marathon relay and don’t think I could log that many miles this month! The dinner looks great and is reminding me that I haven’t worked with beets in too long!

11. November 1, 2010 8:23 pm

Wow! That is an awesome challenge. It definitely sounds like a lot to me. You can do it!

12. Emo permalink
    November 1, 2010 8:37 pm

That is a lovely salad — so fallish! (Fact: beets are delicious. Fact: I’ve never eaten a beet.)
    Good luck with your challenge! I, too, start the winter slump in November. Are you wearing a pedometer to keep track of your steps?

• November 2, 2010 12:56 am

Fact: bears eat beets 🙂

• November 2, 2010 12:57 am

Oh! And, I’ll be using my Garmin to track my miles 🙂

13. November 1, 2010 8:53 pm

Great challenge! I know you’ll make this one. I love beets but never ever remember to buy them.

14. November 1, 2010 9:12 pm

that salad is a classic and it’s so freaking good. great new challenge! i’d join you but i never do good with plans. or maybe goals? thats kind of sad.

15. November 2, 2010 12:11 am

Beets look good to me, especially because they’re often served with goat cheese, but I never really like them. Boo.

You can definitely do 150 miles.

16. November 2, 2010 1:10 am

Haha, I hear ya, I’m already starting to go into hibernation mode! :s

17. November 2, 2010 8:36 am

Congrats on your personal goal! That is SO great! 150 miles IS a lot! I know you can do it!