Nerd Alert

October 30, 2010

Hi guys! Happy Saturday! I’m about to head out for my long run…but, I skipped my long run last week, so we’ll see how “long” this one really is.

As I mentioned yesterday, Ryan hit the road for DC right after lunch, which left me plenty of time to…nerd it up!

First, I spent a few hours in a local antique mall, looking for spoons and vintage drinking glasses.  I ended up leaving with a variety of vintage kitchen towels:

vintage kitchen towel

vintage kitchen towel

vintage kitchen towel

vintage kitchen towel

I think these will be great for blog pictures!

I also found some really cute cocktail napkins:

vintage cocktail napkins

vintage cocktail napkin

Get it?  “Cock” tail napkins?  Apparently people were very witty back in the 30’s.  We use cocktail napkins in this house about twice a year, but these were too cute to resist.

I also found a BIG blue mason jar for only 5 dollars! Did you know that I collect blue mason jars?  I have for about six years now…I use them to store our nuts and pantry goods.  They also make really cute vases!

blue mason jar

blue mason jar

I’ve seen the bigger jars priced at upwards of 30 dollars, so 5 bucks was definitely a steal.

After leaving the antique depot, things got even crazier:

All the cool kids scrapbook on Friday night, right?

They also eat tofu and mushrooms for dinner:

baked tofu

sauteed mushrooms

sauteed mushrooms

…while scrapbooking and watching The Pregnancy Pact on Lifetime.

What can I say?  It was a wild and crazy night.

How do you nerd it up?

1. Emo permalink
    October 30, 2010 2:00 pm

I, too, have scrapbooked on a Friday night. Last night, we nerded it up by falling asleep to “The Universe: Saturn” at 9:45. Yup.

2. Kelly permalink
    October 30, 2010 3:12 pm

That sounds like a perfect night to me!!!

3. greensandjeans permalink
    October 30, 2010 3:27 pm

Last night I went to be at 8:30. I am seriously the most lame 25 year old on the planet. Hopefully I’ll make up for it in New York tonight!

4. October 30, 2010 3:28 pm

I am obsessed with kitchen textiles! Good choice on your towel selection! 🙂

5. October 30, 2010 6:22 pm

now i’m REALLY pissed i’m not at the rally. len is there but i opted out because he left fri morning and i was suppose to work. of course, work got pushed so i didn’t have to work after all!! we could have met at a really fun place! damn.

hope you’re having a blast!!! i’ll look for you on tv!

6. October 30, 2010 7:02 pm

Love those napkins! Um, I left a friends b-day party last year to be home in time to watch the premier of the pregnancy pact. true story.

7. actorsdiet permalink
    October 30, 2010 7:31 pm

love your loot! i can’t get enough of that stuff – except i just look and never buy. then i go home and think, “why is everything i won so ugly?!?”

8. October 30, 2010 8:26 pm

Biggest nerd thing = my Titanic obsession. Not the movie, the ship…though the movie is pretty awesome as well 🙂 I know every fact you’d ever want to (or didn’t want to) know about it!!

9. October 30, 2010 11:30 pm

lol, you’re so funny! I totally nerd it up on nights Nick is out. I don’t know about antique shopping, BUT I love the idea either way, and those mason jars really would made great vases.
    I nerd it up by having a very healthy dinner, cooking, blogging, then sitting down and reading my book. And this all happens on a Friday and Saturday night, which is where the nerdy part really comes in 😉

10. October 31, 2010 12:37 am

Too funny! Getting crazy, huh? I nerd it up by reading blogs, blogging and playing video games. 😛

11. October 31, 2010 1:47 am

Love mason jars, but blue???? Now I am on the hunt.

12. October 31, 2010 3:48 am

I absolutely love nights in where I can watch TV and do fun things like scrapbook. Not that I scrapbook, but if I had a creative bone in my body I’d love to!

The towels are very cute – totally Anthropologie-ish! I love them.

13. October 31, 2010 3:55 am

omg my grandma used to embroider napkins, kitchen towels, you name it…this is SUCH a throwback to the 1950s, or the 70s- 80s and my childhood and being at grandmas house and her trying to teach me how to embroider…pillowcases.

And love the Ball jars. Canning. Preserving. Saving money.

I love this post, it reminds me of my grammie!

14. Ginger permalink
    October 31, 2010 11:52 am

Cute towels! We had an uneventful night, as well. We rode our bikes and then came home, made vegetable soup, and ate it while watching “Silence of the Lambs” – hadn’t seen that in a LONG time – so good…”I’d love to chat, but I’m having a friend for dinner” (love it!!) Why did you not go with Ryan to D.C.?

15. October 31, 2010 1:27 pm

I love vintage kitchen towels! Remind me of my grandma.

16. October 31, 2010 2:44 pm

I think that sounds like fun actually. I love antique stores.

17. October 31, 2010 3:45 pm

Haha, I’ve totally seen the Pregnancy Pact before! I spent my Saturday night at the grocery store.

18. November 1, 2010 4:52 pm

I love kitchen linens, and the napkins are too funny

19. November 1, 2010 5:46 pm

ooo I’ve definitely been known to scrapbook on Friday nights — very relaxing while watching movies like Pregnancy Pact — which I’ve seen by the way hehe.