Why My Dogs Hate Halloween. And other holidays. And me.

October 21, 2010

Hey guys! Ryan left this afternoon for a quick, unexpected trip to the west coast.  I would have liked to have been able to accompany him, but it just didn’t work out…so, alas, I’m all on my own for the next few days.  Luckily, I have the dogs to protect me:

blog 073

Real tough, right? Speaking of dogs…do yours wear costumes?  I’ve always derived great pleasure from dressing our dogs up for Halloween…which might explain why, when discussing the reasons why I’d someday like to have children, one of my first answers is: “To embarrass them.”  That’s a good reason, right?

Last year, Ella and Baxter went as a squirrel and a hotdog, respectively:

dog costumes 09 014

dog costumes 09 021

dog costumes 09 010

She looks thrilled, right?

The year before that (right when we got Baxter!), they were a cow and a pig:

halloween and fall 212

And the year before that, when Ella was still an only child dog, she was a bumble bee:

image

image

“If I could just get my paws on that knife…”

In fact, my love for dogs in clothing extends far beyond Halloween costumes.  I’m a little ashamed to admit this, but we have an entire box full of dog-wear.  Don’t believe me?

I rescued Ella from our awful neighbor right before Christmas, during my second year of grad school.  You can read that story here.  Approximately 5 days later, I had her in clothing:

image
Yes, she was tiny.  She only weighed 14 pounds! :-(  She needed that sweater to stay warm!

The dogs have also graced our Christmas cards:

weddinghoneymoon 028

And have gotten married (technically incest, but hey, who’s keeping track?):

sonoma 019

They have matching Christmas coats:

blog 145

And outdoor wear:

halloween and fall 033

And summer dresses:

blog 157

And tee shirts:

weddinghoneymoon 045

mardis gras 031

Sometimes, they even dress for business:

mardis gras 095

They even have dog snuggies, along with the rest of their cousins!

christmas 09 031

George’s was a little tight:

christmas 09 032

Think about easing up on the kibble, big guy.

Classic.

Anywho…this is all to say, we have their costumes for Halloween 2010, but we haven’t taken their pictures yet…soon, dogs, soon.

*    *    *

Whew! That ended up being really long! Almost makes me wonder if our dogs have too much clothing…bahaha!

Moving on to the point of this blog…food!

For dinner tonight, I had…you guessed it! Squash! I can hear Ryan groaning all the way from Portland.  :-)

I think I might have a problem.  If I start hoarding squash in the shower and the top of the linen closet, you officially have my permission to hold an intervention.

Until then, I’ll be enjoying squash, morning, noon, and night.  Tonight, squash pizza was on the menu.  Actually, this pizza was double squashariffic, as it not only had roasted squash as the main topping, but it also rocked a butternut squash sauce.  Plus lots and lots of mozzarella cheese.  The “crust” was an Ezekial tortilla…and that makes it healthy, right?

There is no such thing as too much squash.  And denial is just a river in Egypt.

Speaking of denial, do your dogs *love* dressing up for Halloween as much as mine do?  Or, if you have actual children (dogs aren’t children?!), what are they dressing up as this year? OR, if YOU are dressing up, what are you going as?

halloween and fall 208

If that face doesn’t say “I love you for putting me in this costume,” then I don’t know what does.

G’night!

1. October 21, 2010 12:40 am

OOOH ! these are all SO cute!!

my Basil has MANY sweaters and clothes (heck, he has his own PAGE on my blog!!) 😀

TODAY he is the Featured Pup on stuffonmywiener.com – (he’s a dachshund) – sporting his current Halloweenie costume!

• October 21, 2010 12:46 am

Ahhhh! I love it!! We considered the submarine for Baxter!

2. October 21, 2010 12:49 am

LOL. Oh lord. My dog was a hot dog last year, and he wasn’t a fan of a costume

3. October 21, 2010 12:52 am

I agree – can’t have too much squash! That pizza is calling my name. Jason is sort of against me dressing the dogs up. He was ok with buying Razorback collars though (go figure)

• October 21, 2010 12:56 am

Ha! Oh man, I didn’t even put any of the sports wear on here– they both have LSU and Penn State sweat shirts 🙂

4. October 21, 2010 1:26 am

HA this is great… and hilarious.
    I am still all over squash…its not letting up!

5. October 21, 2010 1:36 am

oh my gosh, my dogs would RUN from me if i ever tried to put something on them! so cute 🙂

6. October 21, 2010 1:46 am

your dogs are too cute!!! Love all the outfits!!

7. October 21, 2010 1:49 am

Anna, I’m super new to the squash thing. I make a mean spaghetti squash lasagna but that’s basically all I know how to do! What’s your fav squash recipe? I need to try something new now that fall is all over the place! =)

Thanks!

xoxo
    Jenn

8. October 21, 2010 1:50 am

ps: my cat has a pink snuggie and my ferret has a leopard tshirt… i’m THAT bad =) the puppers are adorable btw!!!!

9. October 21, 2010 2:05 am

I love all of the costumes! I dress up my lab, and my husband hates it, but I think it is soo cute! This year he will be going as a dinosaur!

10. October 21, 2010 2:21 am

LOL!! Too cute!!

Regarding the wearing-a-tie photo: your dog is ready to be a stockbroker – I could almost see him squinting to read the stock symbols as they roll by.

11. October 21, 2010 2:34 am

Hahaha…those costumes are ridiculous.

12. Apicius' Apprentice permalink
    October 21, 2010 2:39 am

I love it!! The dogs look so happy to model the costumes too :p

13. October 21, 2010 2:56 am

When I try to put Milla in clothing (t shirt, halloween costume, whatever) she freezes up. She literally won’t move. and if she does move…she acts like she has no joints in her legs and she walks with them straight. hilarious…and so sad 🙂

14. October 21, 2010 3:27 am

LOL. your pup has a more extensive wardrobe than i do!

my favorite is the tie— simple but makes a big statement.

15. October 21, 2010 3:49 am

these pics are classic!!! love them!!!

squash on the pizza, yum!

your comment to me that you have a baggallini set of luggage and like it…considering you travel tons, that’s high praise, and a lucky break for me in choosing it!

16. Jen permalink
    October 21, 2010 7:42 am

HAAAA i love this post! lots of laughs over here. i love to dress up dogs and i love when they love it too.. i can tell my parents’ dog bree is totally into fashion

17. October 21, 2010 10:56 am

LOL! Oh my gosh. Not pets here… yet.

18. October 21, 2010 12:18 pm

HAHA I love it!! All we have are three cats that would rip my hands off before allowing me to dress them up. I always wanted to dress up my big old black lab though!

19. Ginger permalink
    October 21, 2010 12:21 pm

I did, literally, laugh out loud on this one. They are so funny! You have inspired me, and I think I will find custumes for Maddie and Sugar this year. I’ll take pix!

• October 21, 2010 12:21 pm

Can I please be there when you try to get Sugar in her costume?

20. October 21, 2010 12:25 pm

The Christmas photo is too much! Last year our dog was a ladybug… but she got sick and puked on the costume… not sure if we’ve been jinxed for future Halloweens!

21. What? permalink
    October 21, 2010 12:36 pm

People should not dress up animals. It is not funny.

22. October 21, 2010 12:45 pm

AWW look how adroable! I love dressing up myself, my cat would never allow it! haha

23. October 21, 2010 12:56 pm

I’ve been wanting to try squash pizza! Totally healthy on a wrap 🙂

24. Emo permalink
    October 21, 2010 1:12 pm

BAhahah! I just asked Jon if the bee costume was still in rotation. Jon will not put anything other than a bandana on Diego — it breaks Diego’s heart, to be sure. I keep trying to convince Jon that he should be Juan Valdez and Diego can be his mule, but no dice. So, this year, Diego will wear a button which reads, “this is my halloween costume.”

25. October 21, 2010 1:28 pm

Haha adorable dog costumes!!! And that squash pizza looks so good! Seriously, you can never have too much squash!!

26. October 21, 2010 1:35 pm

I seriously burst out laughing at that first dog-in-acorn-suit picture. 🙂 Also loved the wedding pic! And as for your squash pizza thing – wow. I love this blog.

27. October 21, 2010 1:36 pm

Ok, just realized it was a squirrel HOLDING an acorn. Even better!

28. Ayla permalink
    October 21, 2010 2:57 pm

Hahaha.. oh.my.god. I love this. Where do you buy your dog costumes? I want to get Brandi one. She’s going to hate me but I need to do this, it’s adorable!

• October 21, 2010 3:29 pm

We get most of them at Target or Pet Smart!

29. October 21, 2010 4:23 pm

ROFLMAO!! Too cute!! Love the pups costumes!! I don’t feel so alone in my weirdness now 😉 I have jackets, hoodies, boots and even a lifegaurd outfit for my border collie! I have the same cow costume you have for my chow x and I have a snow white and a superman costume. (Not to mention I have elf ears and santa hats, etc for xmas!) I love dressing up the furbabes and I’m convinced they enjoy it too 😉

30. October 21, 2010 4:36 pm

Nope, mine won’t wear costumes or anything besides her harness. I have a jacket for her for cold weather because she shivers so easily, but she still refuses to wear it. Cute costumes for yours, love the hot dog. Dog snuggies? Uh, you might have a problem. 😛 j/k Anyway, adorable pics and the pizza looks great.

31. Ali permalink
    October 21, 2010 5:05 pm

What does Baxter’s little white t-shirt w/the blue writing say???
    You are too funny btw!! Tried to dress my beagle up one time; he wasn’t having any of it. Haven’t ever tried w/my lab… who would probably be a better sport however! 😉
    P.S. The tie picture = greatness!

• October 21, 2010 8:38 pm

“I still live with my parents.” 😀

• Ali permalink
        October 22, 2010 12:51 pm

Love it! 😉

32. October 21, 2010 5:49 pm

I love all the costumes! Our dog Ernie hates costumes. As soon as we put it on he will stand still and not move a muscle with a super straight tail – its slightly comedic. Our other dachushund is pro-costumes. He would live in his lobster one if he could!

33. October 21, 2010 6:19 pm

altho im biased, i think the squirrel costume was the best!! if i could id squeeze into that and head out for halloween as a squirrel haha.

mmm maybe u need to dress them up as a pizza this year, given the yummy tortilla pizza u made ❤ or if that doesnt work, just dress them like the toppings; SQUASH !! hehe

34. greensandjeans permalink
    October 21, 2010 7:52 pm

OMG. The tiny elf costume may be the cutest thing I have ever seen. Please put them in clothes for me when I finally make my way out to PA!

35. October 21, 2010 7:52 pm

The dogs are just awesome! I love it. We have cats (one of which we swear is a catdog) and talked about dressing him up, but I have a feeling he will go tearing through the house and that would be bad.

Your pizza looks amazing and I am so not over squash yet!

36. October 21, 2010 8:36 pm

Hahahaha oh my.. your dogs are the cutest! And they look beyond thrilled to be wearing those fabulous outfits ;).

37. October 22, 2010 3:17 pm

If i put my dog in clothes she spends all of her time trying to eat them. This year the husband and I will be dressing up as Dwight and Angela from The Office.

38. October 23, 2010 8:49 pm

Oh gosh, you’re worse than me!! And I love it!!!!!!