BBBSSWIAJ

October 20, 2010

That’s black beans, butternut squash, salsa, and wheatberries in a jar…in case you were wondering.  😉

In other words, my lunch:

I’ve never had oats in a jar, but I think I could get behind it—eating from a jar kind of made lunch more fun! I like being able to see the different layers, and it was really easy to transport to school.  Plus, it was just a really tasty combination!

After a long day of teaching, Ryan and I returned home from campus to whip up a quick, easy dinner: oven-baked tofu and garlicky sauteed kale, served with a side of Kashi crackers.

And now, Glee! A rerun…but you take what you can get, right?

See you tomorrow!

1. October 20, 2010 12:26 am

I love the ‘in a jar’ trend. Makes it so much easier to clean out a nearly-empty jar. 😉

And agreed — some Glee is better than no Glee.

2. October 20, 2010 2:11 am

Ohhh this makes me crave salsa…I just bought a new jar at TJ’s today, and now I’m hoping I can find a way to incorporate beans + salsa into tomorrow’s meals!

3. October 20, 2010 3:23 am

“I’ve never had oats in a jar,”–damn. Now I am TRULY the last blogger left who’s never had OIAJ and honestly, probably never will. But YOUR lil creation, now that’s what Im talkin’ about!

4. October 20, 2010 3:35 am

Meals are always WAY more fun in a jar!

5. October 20, 2010 11:42 am

Love the lunch in a jar! I have a coworker who eats from a jar every day at school. There is something kind of fun about it…

6. October 20, 2010 11:46 am

Eating out of a jar is so much more fun!

7. October 20, 2010 11:53 am

Oh my gosh! I love your jar idea! Pretty presentation, portable, and plus environmentally friendly! Brilliant!

8. greensandjeans permalink
    October 20, 2010 11:58 am

My roommate in college used to make black bean and butternut squash burritos. So freaking good!

9. October 20, 2010 1:00 pm

Eating from a jar is fun and so pretty! Look at those layers! Have a great day Anna!

10. October 20, 2010 1:13 pm

Ooh that squash looks devine!

Anna, you always have the best titles to your posts. I hadn’t signed into reader for a few days and just reading the titles of your posts made me smile!!! Hope you’re enjoying your fall!!

11. October 20, 2010 2:18 pm

And it looks damn beautiful!

12. October 20, 2010 6:40 pm

eating out of jars makes life all better 🙂

13. October 20, 2010 8:18 pm

I agree anything out of a jar is great! Love the idea of layers of veggies and beans 😉 Looks great!

14. October 20, 2010 8:22 pm

Did you actually end up watching the rerun of Glee? I did! I was so disappointed when I saw that their wasn’t a new episode but I still very happily watched the rerun. What can I say, Glee is Glee. 🙂

15. October 20, 2010 9:43 pm

I love the idea of that meal in a jar. I could see taking that into work. I have wheatberries in my pantry but I haven’t made them yet. Do you serve them the same way you would serve rice or barley?

• October 20, 2010 11:11 pm

Yep, exactly! I also like to use them as a topping for oatmeal and yogurt. They’re chewier than rice and barley!

16. Kelly permalink
    October 20, 2010 11:02 pm

I haven’t ever eaten from a jar…mainly because I don’t have any…but it does look fun!

17. October 21, 2010 12:37 am

You are too funny! I was wondering what that title meant 🙂

18. October 21, 2010 12:59 am

Is that a pickle jar?!

19. October 21, 2010 2:12 am

I absolutely love the combo of black beans and butternut squash. Toss in kale and I’m in heaven. I love the idea of adding the wheatberries. Oh, and I’ve never tried OIAJ either

20. October 21, 2010 2:54 am

Haha, I WAS wondering. Looks delicious, especially in a jar 🙂

21. October 23, 2010 7:28 am

I love your lunch in a jar. How nice your husband is supportive of your food choices. My guy wants sausages and chicken wings all the time, yuck. We certainly don’t have food choices in common. We have a great time together in spite of differing palates. I am trying to serve healthier choices for my family so I appreciate your recipes. Thanks for sharing.