Go For It

October 15, 2010

Hello, hello! Thanks for everyone who commented on my class frustrations yesterday.  I was still a little annoyed thinking about it this morning, so we headed to the gym.  50 minutes and 5.5 miles later, my head felt much clearer! Anyone who says that exercise is only physically beneficial is full of b.s.—it’s the best form of mental therapy I know of!

At the gym, the signs for the “Zero Tolerance” weight challenge caught my eye again.  But this time, I saw something that I didn’t see before: “Cash prize for anyone who doesn’t gain.”  Wha??  The prize is guaranteed if you don’t gain! I had gone back and forth about whether or not I wanted to do this, but with a guaranteed cash prize, I decided to go for it!  Ryan and I both signed up and paid our entrance fee (5 dollars).  On January 14th, we’ll weigh in again.  All contestants who don’t gain get to split the pot of cash.  Score!

The woman who weighed us in said that they had over 50 contestants already, and she said, “I think it’s going to be a whole lot harder than people think.  People think it’s going to be pretty easy.”

Not gaining weight over the course of Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years?  That does not sound easy to me.

Although I will say that I chugged a lot of water before I hopped on the scale in an attempt to get my number up a little.  🙂

We’ll see how it goes!

After weighing in, I asked Ryan how much he thought I weighed (I know, I know…not something a wife should ever ask her husband), and he guessed nearly TWENTY pounds too low.  I don’t know if he was trying to get in good with me, or if he just has no concept of weight or what, but it kind of cracked me up.

When we got back from the gym, I had a fiesta lunch of black beans, rice, salsa, tomatoes, and chips:

Yum.

Annnnnnnd I’m off! Have a great afternoon!

1. October 15, 2010 6:24 pm

Yea if its anyone who doesn’t gain gets to split the pot I would have entered too. LOL

And I think guys just have NO concept of weight. I know Peter has no clue.

2. October 15, 2010 6:26 pm

i would LOVE to do that challenge. Love the monetary benefits!!

3. October 15, 2010 6:30 pm

I think guys have absolutely no comprehension of how women carry weight. My boyfriend never believes me when I tell him how much I weigh, haha silly men.

4. October 15, 2010 7:06 pm

I think men care about our weight a whole lot less than we do. Good luck with the challenge!

5. Kelly permalink
    October 15, 2010 8:30 pm

Guys totally have no concept of weight…even my husband who is a personal trainer has no idea!

6. October 15, 2010 8:42 pm

Ryan once told me he thought I weighed “like 94 lbs.” I punched that son of a bitch right in the mouth!

7. October 15, 2010 9:04 pm

Cash prize is totally worth it!

8. October 15, 2010 9:20 pm

Wow, that sounds like an interesting contest at your gym! That is cute about the hubs guessing your weight…they have no clue about those things!

9. October 15, 2010 11:10 pm

What a fun challenge! Be sure to enjoy the holidays, though 🙂

10. October 15, 2010 11:14 pm

What a cool challenge- I love the different perspective!

11. Emo permalink
    October 15, 2010 11:15 pm

Ryan is a PhD, after all. 🙂 But, really, I think it goes to show that we are our worst critics (not that Ryan was just sucking up.) Good luck on the challenge! Are you going to incorporate that into your next months’ challenges?

12. October 15, 2010 11:26 pm

Well, if money is involved…I would take that challenge! Guys have no concept of weight on women or they should fake like they don’t know in our favor! Lunch look delicious!

13. October 16, 2010 12:16 am

your last post…i can see why you’d be so upset. that’s awful! and yes, just yesterday i sent you an email saying that teachers are underpaid and you all probably wonder why you do what you do…and then you had THAT class. Oh god, so sorry. I could tell you some stories but yes, there are plenty of screwed up kids out there I come in contact with!

The challenge…i think that for a $5 entry fee, you have nothing to lose and could possibly win a nice stash of cash AND keep the holiday weight off…sounds good to me!

14. October 16, 2010 12:21 am

Oh those black beans looks so good. Yum. And I totally agree with you on exercise being the perfect outlet for blowing off steam. Some of my best runs have been b/c I was ticked off.

15. October 16, 2010 12:31 am

I would never ask a guy how much a weigh. I think that I would freak out if they thought I weighed more than I do. I wish you the best of luck with the challenge at the gym, I think that if you stick to your normal diet and have a few holiday treats you should be fine!! 🙂

16. October 16, 2010 12:58 am

You are lucky!! When I asked my husband (boyfriend at the time), he guessed about 30 lbs TOO MUCH. That being said, to this day he still feels horrible… and I feel horrible for putting him in that position, knowing that he would have no clue about an average woman’s weight. 🙂 I learned my lesson to never ask again!

17. actorsdiet permalink
    October 16, 2010 1:09 am

great lunch! so simple!

18. Jen permalink
    October 16, 2010 5:21 pm

I’m going to have to have a new game plan for Thanksgiving if I’m going to make this challenge work! My problem is that i like ALL pies, which means I want pumpkin pie, pecan pie, apple pie and whatever other pie the family brings over… I think I shall just do a sliver of each pie (i say that now… but who knows what will happen haha)

• October 16, 2010 6:40 pm

Haha…yes– I totally eat ALL of the pie varieties at Thanksgiving. And yes, I too always say that I’ll just have “a sliver”…which somehow always turns into a full piece of every single pie 🙂

19. October 16, 2010 6:14 pm

1. good luck with the gym challenge!!!! I think that being vegetarian gives you a leg up on the competition for sure! =)

2. GREAT lunch idea! I will be stealing this!!! my favorite part of the mex dinners i make ends up being the veggies salsa and beans but I never thought to just eat JUST THAT at lunchtime. love it! thanks!

xoxo
    Jenn

20. Ginger permalink
    October 16, 2010 7:36 pm

Yum, that squash looks great – and really great for stuffing! I don’t think we have those in Shreveport. The pilaf looked wonderful, as well. We’re going to Cece’s wedding reception tonight (seems like just yesterday that you were playing together in grade school – sigh!)

21. October 17, 2010 9:45 pm

Men have zero concept of weight, I think, unless they’ve lost weight or are into weightlifting (or are gay). On the phone not too long ago, my fiance’s mother made some offhand comment about how his dad used to weigh 225 as if it were HUGE. He’s abou 5’9 so that’s pretty big, but I am 5’8 and write on the Internet about how I used to weigh 300+, so as you can imagine this comment bugged the hell out of me. Yes, she reads the blog.

22. October 18, 2010 12:27 pm

Sorry about your argument the other day with another student. What a horrible ad!!

But I agree with you that exercise can always help clear the mind!

• October 18, 2010 12:38 pm

Thanks! I’ll get the final laugh when I turn in their grades for the semester.

Kidding. Kind of. 🙂