What I Hate About Winter

October 13, 2010

1.  The third snow of the season.  The first two times it snows, I’m usually pretty excited.  The third time?  I’m over it. The fourth, fifth, and sixth time?  Somebody get me a Vicodin (I kid, I kid…kind of).

2.  Having to put on four layers of clothing just to step outside, only to get indoors again and find the heat pumped up to roughly 110 degrees.

3.  The way my car always seems to warm up right as I’m pulling into the parking lot of my destination.

4.  Frozen snot.  Nuff said.

5.  Owning a dog who seizes up in terror at the mere thought of going potty outdoors, thus turning our carpet into his own personal litter box.

6.  Cold feet.  Cold hands.  Cold and flu season.

7.  Pennsylvania drivers who, despite presumably having dealt with snow their entire lives, seem to forget all tactics for driving in winter weather when the first inch of snow hits.

8.  Talking to my mother in Louisiana who tells me, “It’s been really cold here too lately!” and then looking up their weather on weather.com to see a low of 65 degrees.

10.  The way that, much like the Energizer Bunny, it just keeps going…and going…and going.

BUT.

There are a few things that I like about winter.  I like fires.  And I like the first snowfall.  And I *love* pomegranates.  Pomegranates are one fruit that seems to remain seasonal.  While we’re able to get apples, and avocados, and tomatoes, and even peaches year-round, I really only see pomegranates here for a few months out of the year.  I usually start to see them around November, and by the end of February, they’re gone.

So, imagine my delight when I spotted a small pile of them at our grocery store this week! It’s a little early, but I thought I’d buy one and give it a go.  Lo and behold:

It’s pomegranate season! So pretty!  I created a trifle for lunch: Greek yogurt, pumpkin, Kashi cereal, and pomegranate arils.

I photographed it indoors:

…and then took it outside to enjoy my lunch in the sun!

Tonight, I’m headed out for a girls’ night at Emily’s, so posting might be a little late.  Have a great afternoon and evening!

In the mood to do a little bitchin’?  What do you hate about winter?

1. October 13, 2010 7:15 pm

You coule be like me and keep your house just as cold as the outside. Then you don’t even have to worry about putting on a coat to go out since you’ll probably have enough layers on just chillin’ (pun intended) in the house.

I’m only exaggerating slightly.

2. Kelly permalink
    October 13, 2010 7:19 pm

I TOTALLY feel you on number 3! And I HATE not being able to wear shorts!!!

3. October 13, 2010 7:20 pm

I’m with you on the first one or two snowfalls thing. Unless I don’t have to go anywhere, then let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

4. October 13, 2010 7:32 pm

Heck yea I HATE winter! all your points are valid and the same as mine! arg!
    But those pretty little poms are delightful and so springy that they help get ya through the winter! What a lovely looking parfait!

5. October 13, 2010 7:34 pm

Eek! Winter is my LEAST favorite holiday! All I want to do is SLEEP and cuddle up and my mindset tends to take a turn for the worst:(.

6. October 13, 2010 7:34 pm

Uh, I mean, it’s my least favorite SEASON. I need a nap. or a run. I think I’m going to go for a run:).

7. October 13, 2010 8:13 pm

You seriously take such beautiful pictures. And I hate winter. From January to March I do not like the weather. I do get excited when it snows (all 2 inches here in GA) though.

8. October 13, 2010 8:20 pm

You forgot dry skin. The pomegranates look so pretty!

9. October 13, 2010 8:31 pm

That’s what I love about living here, it gets cold for the winter – but no snow. If I want snow, it’s just a half hour drive away. 🙂 I tried walking my dog on snow once, she couldn’t get off the ice fast enough, so I could image she’d be the same way. Wicked dry skin and freezing cars aren’t my faves either.

10. October 13, 2010 8:32 pm

I definitely hate the cold, but with my house, you can’t really win no matter what season it is.

In the summer, the sun beats down into my window and turns my room into a furnace, and in the winter somehow all the heat is leached out of my very soul.

Either way driving in snow makes me nervous and I prefer not to be smothered in cold-weather-gear.
    The thing I hate most about winter might be how cold my ears get! 😦

11. October 13, 2010 8:45 pm

Being from Atlanta, we don’t really have those same issues during the winter, but I hate winter too. All the trees and flowers are dead, Christmas is over and I have the post-christmas blues, and I’m so PALE. But I do love pomegranates… tasty and beautiful… they look like little rubies! 🙂

12. highonhealthy permalink
    October 13, 2010 8:46 pm

I hate the cold and while I love fires, I hate having to rely on them or bundles of clothes to keep me warm. The first snowfall is always so exciting and last year that was all we got – one snowfall that lasted for 2 hours. That was probably one of the tamest winters we’ve ever had, it was like Fall never ended. Unfortunately the winter this year is supposed to be the worst our area has seen for 50 years or so. Which is slightly scary because our winter 2 years ago was awful.

13. Ginger permalink
    October 13, 2010 9:58 pm

Beautiful parfait! I love winter in Louisiana. Having said that, I’ll tell you why I HATE summer – day after day of 100+ degrees, the lawns and flowers all burn up, you have to do any kind of activity or exercise indoors because it’s too hot to be outside (forget tennis for 3 months!), you can’t walk the dogs – it’s too hot – you can barely get them to go into the backyard! Even if you have a pool, it feels like bath water. Your hair looks HORRIBLE, you are sweaty all the time, the air conditioning in the house can’t possibly keep up; you can’t possibly take off enough clothes to be comfortable; no one can talk about anything other than “Can you BELIEVE this heat?!? I could go on, but suffice it to say, I’m very excited that fall is here and winter is just around the corner!! Sorry to all the northerners out there!

14. Rebecca permalink
    October 13, 2010 10:01 pm

ANYTHING cold, i hate. My house is cold.. it’s cold outside.. the school’s cold. 😦 I like the warmth, humidity and feeling cozy!

15. October 13, 2010 10:37 pm

I’m so excited that its pom season! Yum yum.

And I hate the 3rd snow too.

16. October 13, 2010 10:40 pm

I hate the cold; I hate working out inside; I hate having no sun
    BUT I love the Winter. I think sitting inside under a blanket, sipping hot chocolate, and listening to christmas carols is worth it.

17. October 13, 2010 10:52 pm

I hate the ice storms! Other than that, it is not that bad here! That parfait looks amazing! Have fun tonight!

18. October 13, 2010 11:19 pm

How absolutely cold my hands and feeet get!

19. October 13, 2010 11:50 pm

Oh that parfait is gorgeous. I have never eaten fresh pomegranate. Oh I loathe winter: cold, cold, cold rain, cold, cold rain, sleet, no sun, cold.

20. thehungryscholar permalink
    October 14, 2010 1:28 am

I like winter clothes, but I hate winter. Plus, my hair is always full of static.

Have fun at girls’ night!

21. Emo permalink
    October 14, 2010 2:01 am

I hate the lack of sunlight! It’s already getting dark at 6:30 here, and I am starting to slump. (“My diabolical plot is on hold.. something about the days getting shorter, I don’t know.”) But, at least there’s Christmas to look forward to — goodies, family time, a tree!

22. Mindy permalink
    October 14, 2010 2:55 am

OH Anna! I love love love love love love love pomegranates! I love them because they are so good and they take so long to eat that I don’t feel guilty for eating the whole thing.

Winter is so difficult to love, isn’t it? (That sounds like the start of a poem I’ll never get around to writing!) But, it’s the perfect season for my favorite kind of food, ever. Soup. I love soup. Of all kinds. Sometimes I dream about opening a soup only restaurant. Maybe soup and ice cream, my other favorite. We can even serve ice cream soup.

Sorry, I just got done watching “Julie & Julia” and although I found both characters immensely irritating I am in the mood to write about food in an annoyingly wistful way.

• October 15, 2010 1:26 pm

Writing about food in an annoyingly wistful way is strangely satisfying 🙂

I’ll say it again– blog, Mindy, blog!

23. October 14, 2010 3:53 am

i hate everything about winter!!
    grew up in MN, moved away as soon as i could to warm weather places: NC, SC, AZ, and CA!

cars not starting, never feeling warm all day long no matter what you do, bundling in layers and taking time to do so for the simplest task like going to the groc store…ugh, dont miss it!!

24. greensandjeans permalink
    October 14, 2010 5:23 am

Right now I am all excited about winter! I guess that’s what happens when you’ve spent some time living in a place where it’s over 110 degrees 5 months out of the year…

25. October 14, 2010 9:47 am

i’m totally confused about pom season. i thought it had already come and gone?

• October 15, 2010 1:26 pm

I think it’s typically through fall and winter!

26. October 14, 2010 11:59 am

I hate being cold. Despite popular belief, it does get cold in Georgia. (For like 3 weeks, but still!)

27. patti permalink
    October 14, 2010 9:46 pm

I hate the gray overcast days we have in Seattle. I would rather have snow with clear sunny skies – even if the temp is cold.

28. October 15, 2010 10:11 pm

Pomegranate things like that are DELICIOUS. I could eat a whole bowl of them. Although I did that once and don’t recommend it… at all.

29. October 16, 2010 2:13 am

Beautiful photos! I am so excited that pomegranates are here!!! I love them too!

30. October 17, 2010 9:50 pm

Hmmm I think it’s time for Ryan to start applying to jobs at UF, which is only an hour away! You could be Gators!!!