I Get By With a Little Help From My Freezer

October 7, 2010

Especially when fresh produce is scarce!  We have nary a veggie in our produce drawer right now, so for lunch, I turned to an old friend: the freezer.

Frozen veggies aren’t the best, but they’re great in a pinch.  Today, I heated up a Cascadian Farms organic mix of broccoli, carrots, and potatoes.  While the veggies were cooking via microwave, I smashed together half a cup of cannellini beans with a tablespoon of pesto (leftover from our pizza party).  This lunch was far from gourmet…but it was pretty dang tasty!  Mixing in the pesto with the beans really gave them an extra boost of flavor.  It’s the little things, right?

I’m off to teach! Today is our last day in the poetry unit, which means…the semester is halfway over! Yowza! Time sure has flown!

See you for dinner!

1. October 7, 2010 5:02 pm

i try to keep tons of veggies in my freezer because we’re always on the go and rushing for dinner! another great thing is to freeze your own for later use 🙂

2. October 7, 2010 5:02 pm

Halfway over already!? Heck, I don’t even start term til Monday! what a crazy schedule y’all have :p

3. October 7, 2010 5:05 pm

Wow, time is flying by! I need some produce in my life also.

4. highonhealthy permalink
    October 7, 2010 8:38 pm

For a last minute meal that looks really, really good. I’ve been kind of vegetable deprived for the past few days and that picture is stirring up some mad cravings.

5. Jen permalink
    October 7, 2010 10:26 pm

the semester is halfway over?! ack! that means i’m halfway to finals :-/

6. October 7, 2010 10:42 pm

That is crazy the semester is half over! I am out of school now but I feel like summer just ended! Yum, pesto really does add such flavor.

7. October 7, 2010 10:47 pm

Semester is already half over?! That is insane!

8. October 7, 2010 11:45 pm

That lunch sounds delicious and satisfying:-).
    I’ve often read that frozen veggies actually ARE a great choice, because they are frozen when they are actually ripe, versus traveling when they aren’t ripe. I guess that would depend on where you tend to get your fresh veggies, though, huh?

9. October 8, 2010 12:24 am

How is it that i’m just finding you!? Love the blog girl! I was actually 100% pescatarian (all veggies + fish. haha!) before I met my husband and he dragged me into the dark side with turkey for thanksgiving and then before I knew it, I had totally strayed! I’m working my way back so your blog will def help me remember exactly how exciting it is to be vegetarian =)

xo
    jenn

• October 8, 2010 2:03 am

Aww, thanks Jenn!! Can’t wait to check out your blog as well!

10. October 8, 2010 12:01 pm

Time really is flying! I’m both excited and scared by the end of the semester. Have a good time at the wedding.