Back to Normal…for Now

October 5, 2010

Hey guys! Long time, no see!  I feel like I dropped off the face of the blogworld this weekend…and the whole world exploded!!! WTF?

Anyway, while things were blowing up left and right in the healthy living blog virtual world, I was with my family, enjoying Hershey, PA!  On Saturday, we ventured over to the National Apple Harvest Festival, right outside of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania.

It was HUGE!!! We were expecting a small, quaint festival…and were greeted by thousands of other festival-goers! It was a great time—tons of art booths, music…and of course, food!

Pumpkin funnel cake?!  Be still, my heart.

Sophie tried her first apple sauce (all natural, no sugar):

Haha…she wasn’t too sure about it at first, but I think it grew on her by the end.

On our way home from the festival, we stopped by a you-pick-em farm and picked our own apples.  My mom and my sister were virgin pickers—I think they did a pretty good job!

On Sunday, we relaxed all day at the Hershey spa—massages, facials—the works! It was SO nice.  That night, we had a delicious dinner at Harvest, one of the hotel restaurants.

Before dinner, we had a little impromptu photo session:

But then we got to the important stuff…the food:

This pumpkin soup was to DIE for.  So creamy and rich!

On Monday, we headed to Chocolate World—you have to do SOME cheesy Hershey stuff when you’re in Hershey! We took a small tour that explained the history of Hershey and the chocolate-making process…and then we bought some chocolate! Lots and LOTS of chocolate.  🙂

After making our way home last night, we were all in the mood for a comforting meal—it was cold and rainy out! We built a fire in our fireplace—the first of the season!—and cooked up a big pot of vegetarian chili with beans, veggies, and Morningstar veggie crumbles.

Inspired by a bowl of chili my mom had in Hershey, we decided that instead of baking a separate dish of cornbread, we’d bake the cornbread right on top of the chili.  We were all a little nervous about this gamble…but it paid off! It was awesome! The cornbread cooked perfectly into a crust over the chili, and stayed really moist.  We cooked the chili for about 20 minutes, and when we pulled it out, it looked like this:

SO tasty!

For dessert, we used some of the MANY apples we returned home with to make an easy apple-baked dessert.  I tossed apple slices with lemon and sugar, and then topped them with a combo of flour, sugar, butter, and oats.

Baked ‘em for about 20 minutes, and served with vanilla ice cream.  Perfect!

My family flies out today, so we’re spending a little time with sweet Sophie before they head out.  I sure will miss this face:

Time for Sophie to move to Altoona.

I hope you had a great weekend! Thanks for putting up with my absence…family trumps blogging every time, right? 🙂

See ya later today!

1. October 5, 2010 12:31 pm

I love Sophie pics! She is so stinkin cute!

2. October 5, 2010 12:43 pm

Haha! A lot did happen starting Sunday night. But I’m so glad you had fun. It all looks delicious too!

3. October 5, 2010 12:53 pm

You DID miss a lot, but it looks like your weekend was WAY more fun 🙂

4. October 5, 2010 1:09 pm

1. My sister is begging us to come home for the apple festival this weekend, but sadly, we’re not going to make it. Isn’t it a wonderful event, though? The pumpkin funnel cake is delicious!

2. I’m so glad you enjoyed the Hershey Spa. Can’t wait to hear about your chocolate treatments!

3. Have fun with your family this morning!

• October 5, 2010 2:32 pm

Yes, it was crazy!!! We had no idea it was so big!!

5. October 5, 2010 1:16 pm

woah woah woah… cornbread on top of the chili?! BRILLIANT.

6. October 5, 2010 1:20 pm

Looks like a super-fun weekend…totally worth missing any drama in the blog world (in my opinion, of course.)

7. October 5, 2010 1:27 pm

What a wonderful time spent with family. Sounds like a fantastic trip!

8. October 5, 2010 1:39 pm

Things did kinda go crazy in the healthy blogosphere!!

Sophie is too cute! I’m surprised she didn’t enjoy the applesauce more…it’s so yummy! I know, I had some for breakfast!

Apple picking and spa days…I am jealous! What an awesome weekend! Oh, and I can’t forget the pumpkin funnel cake. My heart would be pitter-pattering, too!!

9. Emo permalink
    October 5, 2010 1:41 pm

Aww, it looks like you had a wonderful visit with your family! I love apple season, too! I can’t wait to read your new recipies as you work through apple abundance!

10. highonhealthy permalink
    October 5, 2010 2:11 pm

Everything looks so.good. I want to go apple picking! Honestly, I think apple picking would be a dream come true for me. I’m crazy about them.

11. October 5, 2010 2:38 pm

i’m thinking it’s more like time for sophie to move to colorado…just sayin’ 😉

12. October 5, 2010 3:08 pm

Mmmmm I’ve always wanted to try cornbread baked on top of chili!!! I have a slow cooker recipe for it that i’m dying to try!

13. October 5, 2010 3:12 pm

Wow you had an amazing weekend! That pumpkin soup looks incredible.

14. October 5, 2010 3:18 pm

Wait- pumpkin and funnel cake in the same dish? Be still my heart. YUM!

15. October 5, 2010 3:43 pm

that sounds like the most perfect weekend ever. this might sound a little ridic, but i cannot wait to be toting around a baby bjorn. (preferably with Sophie in it. if she goes missing…… )

• October 5, 2010 4:04 pm

Not at all ridiculous!! I love those things…I secretly wish they made them for adults so that I could be toted around when I’m tired. Is that weird? 🙂

16. October 5, 2010 4:15 pm

Chocolate and a spa? Perfect.

17. Kelly permalink
    October 5, 2010 4:30 pm

Pumpkin funnel cake…from the word’s of Carrie Bradshaw, “Hello Lover!”

18. October 5, 2010 4:42 pm

Wonderful fall pics, oh I want to visit apple orchards now! 🙂 The soup does look amazing. What a wonderful weekend!

19. October 5, 2010 6:27 pm

It’s getting pretty chilly here in the evenings so that soup has my name all over it 😉

20. greensandjeans permalink
    October 5, 2010 6:55 pm

That last picture of Sophie? A-freaking-dorable

21. October 5, 2010 8:25 pm

So much yummy fall food!! Pumpkin funnel cakes, omg!! 🙂

Sophie is such a cutie!!!!!!! 🙂

22. Jen permalink
    October 5, 2010 10:46 pm

So when I was in 6th grade there was a contest that was a really big deal; whoever improved the most on their TAKS test (Texas’s standardized test) won a HUGE Hershey’s chocolate bar from the Hershey factory. I think that baby was like 2 pounds or something ridiculous. Anyway, I wanted that chocolate bar so bad and sure enough, at the end of the year I won it! It took me all summer long to eat it 🙂 Perhaps this is how I learned to reward my studying with treats?? Thanks, Leander Middle School

• October 6, 2010 10:35 pm

Haha!! They had five pound bars at the chocolate shop…it’s totally something I would have been obsessed with in sixth grade…and now. Ahem.

23. October 6, 2010 12:25 am

I want to go apple picking!

24. October 6, 2010 1:21 am

how genius with the cornbread in the chili!

25. October 6, 2010 1:29 am

Sophie’s hood with ears is adorable 🙂

Cooking cornbread on top of the chili was a fabulous idea.