So Snuggly!

October 1, 2010

Hello, hello! Happy Friday!

Yesterday, after a lonnnnnng, rainy afternoon, the rain finally slowed down! Talk about a monsoon! I got back from teaching around 6:00, and it had finally slowed to a fine drizzle.

After that rainy day, we didn’t feel like going out for dinner…a comforting, home-cooked meal was what we were all craving! We kept it simple with pasta:

Pasta with roasted vegetables and walnut-spinach pesto.  Yum!

For the veggies, I simply tossed butternut squash, eggplant, and parsnip cubes with salt, pepper, and olive oil and roasted them at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes.  While the water for the pasta boiled and the veggies cooked, I threw together a quick pesto with: 3 large handfuls of spinach, 1/2 cup parmesan, 1/2 cup walnuts, and olive oil.  Seasoned with salt and pepper, and it was ready to eat!

Pesto is so quick and simple…I love it!

Altogether now:

This pasta dish was really delicious, especially for a spur-of-the-moment kind of meal!

We just returned home from a nine mile run.  Well, my sister and I ran.  My parents walked with this polar bear:

Doesn’t she look ferocious?

Haha…maybe not.  Baxter was really taken with the bear suit…he had to lean in for a kiss:

Our run was great—it has me really excited for our half marathon in November!

We’re going to State College for the afternoon for a little shopping and walking around.  Ryan is presenting at a conference there today, so when he’s done, we’re all going to head to Hershey together, where we’ll be for the rest of the weekend.  I should get wi-fi, so hopefully my next blog will be directly from the chocolate capital of America!

Have a great weekend, everyone!

1. October 1, 2010 3:03 pm

I can’t wait to read about your chocolate-y adventures in Hersey

2. October 1, 2010 3:07 pm

oh my gosh that dinner looks fabulous. where’s the walnut spinach pesto recipe again?!

3. October 1, 2010 4:42 pm

These pictures are making my ovaries scream.

4. October 1, 2010 4:58 pm

I think the baby clothes with the ears on em are SO cute.
    and that outfit looks so soft and snuggly I almost want one for myself o.O
    Almost.

5. October 1, 2010 5:51 pm

Oh, you roasted my two favourite veggies…I love you!!

6. October 1, 2010 6:22 pm

I want a bear suit like that…
    Can’t wait to read you from Hershey!!!

7. October 1, 2010 7:30 pm

Oh she is so stinking cute!!! My youngest had a little sweater thingy like that, but in brown. I was so sad when he outgrew it 😦

Jen

8. October 1, 2010 8:54 pm

Mmmm what a delicious looking dinner!! So comforting! Tonight I’m making pasta with butternut squash too, how weird is that!?

9. October 1, 2010 10:03 pm

Oh dinner looks fantastic – and not just saying that ’cause I’m hungry 😉 I need one of those snuggly suits for the winter.

10. patti permalink
    October 1, 2010 10:54 pm

Your pasta looks good. I made a new pasta recipe with butternut squash and pine nuts on Monday. By Tuesday night I was having a bitter taste in my mouth after eating any food. After some internet research, I learned quite a few people have had this reaction to “bad” pine nuts. It is thought that they oxidize and cause this reaction (called pine nut poisoning or pine nut mouth) It is better today but so yucky to eat anything. I like how you made the pesto with walnuts. I’m not sure I want to cook with pine nuts again 😦 Have fun at Hershey.

11. highonhealthy permalink
    October 2, 2010 2:27 am

I got really excited for a second because I thought the squash in the pasta was actually sweet potato.. then I found out the truth and I felt kind of sad. Someone should start SPAA (Sweet Potato Addicts Anonymous) or something because I’m in dire need of some help.

12. October 2, 2010 9:32 am

Homemade pesto is simply the best. There’s nothing that beats it.