My Mama Didn’t Raise No Quitter…Oh, Wait.

September 27, 2010

Hello, hello! Happy Monday evening to ya!

I know what you’re thinking– “It’s Monday night…shouldn’t Anna be in photography class right now?”

And now you’re probably thinking, “Why does Anna think that we know the specific ins and outs of her schedule?  Is she that self-involved?”

Yes. Yes, I am.

But as for the answer to the first question…the answer is: not anymore.  Because I quit.

The truth is, I just really wasn’t getting anything out of the class.  It’s a forty-five minute drive to State College, which isn’t that far, but it’s far enough for me to not want to make it if I feel like the class is pointless! Honestly, I think I could learn more by simply buying a comprehensive digital photography book…so that’s what I’m going to do.  It’s a bummer that the class didn’t work out.  But, it wasn’t very expensive, and it was only going to be six weeks long anyway…better to cut my losses now, than waste four hours of my Monday nights for the next four weeks!

Still, I hate being a quitter.  :-(

Oh well.

Tonight, because I didn’t have photography class, I was able to squeeze in a training session with Eric.  I haven’t worked with him in a while, and I know I’m going to be sore.  I was actually pleasantly surprised by my stamina, however.  Those long training runs must be paying off!

Dinner was a delicious fall pasta dish.

We got this leaf pasta at a specialty Italian market in a neighboring town…little leaves! Aren’t they cute?  To go with the pasta, I sauteed up some kale, garlic, spinach, and walnuts in a bit of olive oil, then served it all with more of our Dave’s Gourmet butternut squash sauce—I can’t get enough of this sauce! I might have to stockpile it like my pumpkin.  🙂

Topped with a little salty parm, this was the perfect combination of flavors!

Off to soak in a bath and then hit the sack early.  See you tomorrow!

1. Apicius' Apprentice permalink
    September 27, 2010 11:48 pm

Don’t be blue! Driving that far for a mediocre class is not worth it. There are some great sites on the web that give you some valuable information. That being said, I’m thinking of doing the same and buying a comprehensive book. Happy Monday!

2. September 27, 2010 11:56 pm

I don’t blame your for quitting, if the class isn’t worthwhile and there are better ways to spend your time – you should! And that’s a long drive on a weeknight.

Just wow on the pasta, it looks wonderful!

3. September 28, 2010 12:53 am

I think you made the right choice – if it wasn’t for you, why waste your time!?

4. September 28, 2010 1:16 am

Cool pasta. It’s always fun to mix it up and enjoy new shapes.

I agree with the above comments 🙂 No need to waste your free time on something that’s not worth it!

5. September 28, 2010 1:18 am

Sometimes, its just good to be a quitter! Make time in life for what’s important to you and don’t look back on the stuff that’s a waste.

6. September 28, 2010 2:11 am

OMG – I am in love with your pasta!!! Please do a leaf pasta giveaway! 🙂

7. Jen permalink
    September 28, 2010 2:22 am

yum yum, i gotta get my hands on some of dat sauce!

8. Kristi permalink
    September 28, 2010 3:23 am

I quit my photography class for the same reason, Anna, along with all of the rest of the gals from work who were taking it with me. Sorry it didn’t work out for you, either.

9. September 28, 2010 3:44 am

“but it’s far enough for me to not want to make it if I feel like the class is pointless! ”

Hell yeah and i totally agree!!!!!! way to give up that sh*t in life that’s just not really working or is more work than it’s worth. Things like that should be FUN, 100% and the minute it’s not, scrap it.

And make an awesome meal, like you clearly did 🙂

plus you truly dont need photog help. You have some of the best pics in the sphere, hands down, no matter what!

10. greensandjeans permalink
    September 28, 2010 4:57 am

I hate quitting things, but when you weigh the time and what you are getting out of it, sometimes it’s the best thing to do! Plus, your pictures are beautiful!

11. September 28, 2010 11:15 am

haha, you read my mind, I was thinking, “Umm, I didn’t know she took a photography class!”. 🙂 It sounds like a great idea, and a lot of fun, but if you weren’t getting anything out of it, why waste your time?! IT doesn’t make you a quitter, it makes you EFFICIENT with your time!

Great looking dish. Butternut squash sauce sounds like something I would love. And I bet it’s garlic free, so I could actually eat it! I need a new sauce.

12. September 28, 2010 12:25 pm

sometimes quitting can be the harder choice, but many times the right one! good for you for making the right choice for you. when it is the right decision, quitting is awesome 🙂 how often do people keep doing things that make them miserable because they just don’t want to quit… waste of time.

13. September 28, 2010 12:33 pm

Sounds like it was the right choice girl. You were spending lots of time driving, not getting much out of it, when you could be enjoying time at home, at the gym, reading your own photography books, eating delish meals!

14. Ginger permalink
    September 28, 2010 12:59 pm

I don’t blame you – 45 minutes is a LONG way to go for something you’re not enjoying; that’s just a no-brainer! I’m getting ready to pack – can’t wait to see all of you!!

15. September 28, 2010 4:45 pm

There is no harm in quitting something you know isn’t going to benefit you in the long run! Sticking it out for no reason is a much worse way to go.

Butternut squash sauce? That sounds delicious!!

16. highonhealthy permalink
    September 28, 2010 5:09 pm

I don’t think you’re a quitter, I would probably have quit to. A 45 minute drive for a class that you’re not really learning anything from is just not worth it. Besides, your photography is already really good! A book is definitely the way to go. 🙂

17. September 29, 2010 1:18 am

I quit a drawing class that was like 5 minutes away from my house just because I didn’t want to go. That’s the beauty of taking classes for fun; if they’re not fun, you don’t have to do them!

I took a photography class if you have any questions, I’d be happy to try to answer them.

• September 29, 2010 2:18 am

Thanks, Lee!! I just might take you up on that…