Special K

September 24, 2010

Hey guys! The couch is calling my name, along with Tina Fey and Steve Carell—we’re about five minutes away from watching Date Night.  Probably not going to be life-changing, but it looked cute enough, right?

Tonight, we had a doggie date with our friend Lauren and her adorable, massive dog Blow (a rescue dog).  It has been HOT today—like almost 90 degrees! It’s supposed to cool down to the sixties starting tomorrow, but for tonight, a cooling recipe was definitely on the dinner menu.  When we returned home from our dog playdate, I threw together this quick kale salad.  Pre-chopped kale makes massaged kale salad come together much more quickly! This was ready to eat in about ten minutes!

In a bowl, I massaged the kale with salt, lemon juice, and olive oil.  I then added grape tomatoes, chopped walnuts, tamari, a bit of agave, and…the special ingredient…kelp noodles!!!

I’ve been on the hunt for kelp noodles ever since I enjoyed them at Thrive, the awesome raw Seattle restaurant we tried last time we were there.  I finally found some, so I couldn’t wait to give them a go tonight.  Coincidentally, raw guru Gena just published a big post alllll about kelp noodles, so if you want to learn more about them, definitely pay her blog a visit!

I added our kelp noodles to the kale salad:

and voila: a delicious, cooling, healthy dinner! Yum!

Hope you have a great night! Adios!

1. September 25, 2010 1:23 am

Enjoy the movie! It’s not life changing – bit it’s cute.

2. September 25, 2010 2:42 am

Dinner looks amazing! The movie is good…not life changing, but definitely entertaining! Have a great weekend!

3. September 25, 2010 3:23 am

That looks so interesting–definitely something out of the ordinary, at least in my kitchen. Date Night was just okay but I have a Steve/Tina date this weekend, too — with the new eps of The Office and 30 Rock! 😉

4. September 25, 2010 7:05 am

Ah… I wish it weren’t like that but I was so bored by Date Night! But I thought that it was cute too ;).
    Have you ever seen Get Smart? I love Steve in it!!

5. September 25, 2010 11:45 am

Dinner looks fantastic! If the movie wasn’t high-quality, your meal certainly looks like it was:).

6. Kelly permalink
    September 25, 2010 3:05 pm

Keith and I watched Date Night a few weeks ago…it was cute…hope you and Ryan liked it! Oh and I should admit to the fact that I liked those Naked Enchiladas so much I made them again last night. I might be developing an addiction…thanks a lot! 🙂

7. September 25, 2010 10:54 pm

Kelp noods.. Ugh, not a fan. The crunchy just scares me off. I know Gena mentioned that you can cook them but the one and only time I ever bought them I didnt know that and they were just too crunchy for me. I like my raw zuke noods better 🙂 But you have me tempted..your food, as always, is beyond beautiful! 🙂

8. September 26, 2010 1:16 am

Awww, doggie dates! 🙂 I saw Arti make a massaged kale salad and it looked SO good! I love the acid breaking down the dense kale…makes so much sense and sounds SO yummy! Enjoy Date Night…I’ve been wanting to see it 🙂

9. greensandjeans permalink
    September 26, 2010 1:54 pm

For some reason John REALLY wanted to go to TGIFriday’s last night. The massive stomach ache I have right now makes me wish I had a big bowl of kelp noodles instead…

10. Jen permalink
    September 26, 2010 5:24 pm

I liked Date Night! We just watched it last night & I was pretty amused… could have been due to the glasses of wine I had at dinner though, haha

11. September 26, 2010 6:23 pm

I keep hearing about kelp noodles, but I don’t know that I’ve seen them in stores!

I will keep an eye out next time I’m grocery shopping though.

12. September 27, 2010 4:26 am

Oh, thank you for reminding me I need to add Date Night to my Netflix queue! 🙂 The noodle dish looks great, I wish kelp noodles were cheaper.

Trackbacks