Semi-Homemade Cooking With…Anna

September 23, 2010

Hey guys! Any Sandra Lee fans out there?

*crickets*       *crickets*       *crickets*

Yeah, I’m not a huge fan either.  Although I am kind of in awe of anyone who can, time and time again, match her outfit (including accessories!!) to her tablescape:

image

image

image

Awesome.

I’m also in awe of anyone who can coin the word tablescape (and get it into the urban dictionary).

Yeah, not a big fan of Sandra Lee and her half-assed semi-homemade cooking.

But.

I do like shortcuts!  Like using pre-packaged soup to create a tasty, easy dinner…which is exactly what we did tonight!

In a pan, I sauteed some okra, onions, and stew tomatoes with about a cup of water, allowing it to cook and stew for about thirty minutes.  In the meantime, we put some brown rice on the stove.  Once the okra was nice and slimy (in the best way possible), we doused it with what was left of the Pacific lentil curry soup from my lunch—it was probably about three cups total.

Served the soup over the rice, and voila! Fast, delicious, and…fine, I’ll admit it—SEMI-HOMEMADE!!

If you’re looking for a laugh tonight, check out this poor bastard who attempted to make an entire meal of Sandra Lee recipes, including the cake that Tony Bourdain called “a war crime on television.”

That’s just not right.

Who’s your favorite Food Network chef/cook?  I’m a big fan of Giada, although a friend and I were recently discussing the fact that there has to be some sort of deal with the devil responsible for the body she maintains on all that absurdly amazing Italian food.

1. actorsdiet permalink
    September 23, 2010 12:19 am

ha ha ha! i like how sandra always looks like she’s about to crack up before she’s about to say anything.

• September 23, 2010 12:20 am

I feel like she looks like she’s about to crack up…or start swinging an ax.

2. September 23, 2010 12:24 am

I’m not a huge fan of cooking shows- I get bored. But I do love reality cooking tv. I’m always up for Chopped, America’s Next Food Network Star, or Top Chef.

3. September 23, 2010 12:30 am

Hahahahahahahaha!! Hilarious!! Oh, Sandra… she seems like a very nice lady, but um, she’s a little crazy too, haha! 😉 And I totally agree about Giada!! I don’t know HOW she gets to look like that and still eat all of that sinful italian food. I think she just takes one or two bites of everything and that’s it! I on the other hand would be eating the entire bowl of pasta!! Paula Deen is my favorite… LOVE her!! I want to meet her and have dinner at her house!!

4. September 23, 2010 12:53 am

Totally agree about Giada! I have mixed feelings… I like to watch her, but I don’t know if I really like her. I used to like Rachael Ray. Used to.

And on most days I am definitely a semi-homemade cook. Apologies to all. 🙂

5. September 23, 2010 1:10 am

Yum! Sandra Lee is just a little too zany for me — outfits, tablescapes, curtains, dishes — it’s too much matching!

6. JenATX permalink
    September 23, 2010 1:40 am

I like giada’s theory behind cooking, but to be honest she bugs the heck out of me! Why does she have to pronounce everything in perfect italian? I come from a Mexican family & we don’t always have to say “fajitas, enchildas, mole” with a thick accent! Plus, my boyfriend thinks she’s uber hot which is annoying (but nice because it gets him to watch Food Network with me haha).
    Besides that rant, I do like her a lot ha. I like Rachel Ray too (she has her annoying quirks as well) but I like how approachable her recipes are. Plus she says funny things from time to time

• September 23, 2010 12:58 pm

I totally agree about the accent! and, i think my husband also doesn’t mind watching her show… because of her, um, big… personality.

• Kelly permalink
      September 25, 2010 3:10 pm

Too funny because that is what bugs me about Giada too! I hate when she does that. I feel like she is trying to be authentic but I feel like it falls flat.

7. September 23, 2010 1:48 am

I am a huge Giada fan…I think she is just gorgeous and seems to have the best life! I also think Sandra is so pretty but her homemade tricks aren’t really earth shattering to me. Still, I appreciate her rise to fame was a result of all her hard work. She is an inspiration!!

8. September 23, 2010 2:24 am

I’m a big fan of Ina Garten…even if a lot her healthy attempts tend to have a lot of butter or cheese.

9. September 23, 2010 3:42 am

HA! I feel like a total loser, but I don’t watch the Food Network. I’ve seen Giada’s show a few times, though, and her recipes looked pretty good!

10. September 23, 2010 3:50 am

not a thing wrong with semi-homemaking stuff! but yes, i’m totally in awe of the outfit/tablescape situation…that takes serious talent!

11. greensandjeans permalink
    September 23, 2010 4:22 am

My theory is that Giada is exercising any time she isn’t baking or cooking.

12. September 23, 2010 5:48 am

My husband is always raving about how great Giada is, but I think his reasons might go a little beyond her cooking skills. I love the semi-home made Halloween specials, full on crazy! Complete with costume changes.

13. September 23, 2010 6:00 am

That first picture is priceless.
    With the coral. Like someone would create a ‘tablescape’ like that on a real table 😉

But who am I to judge? Maybe there are people out there who go all out on Little Mermaid birthday parties?

Giada is great. Her food looks good and she sells it well. For reasons you can probably guess, she is nicknamed “Miss Cleavage” in our household.

14. September 23, 2010 9:34 am

LOL!!!!!
    “Any Sandra Lee fans out there?

*crickets* *crickets* *crickets*”

SO TRUE!!!!!!

I like Ina Garten or Anthony Bourdin. Ina can cook like no other and Tony can swear and eat worms and drink tequilla like no other 🙂

15. September 23, 2010 11:02 am

I really can’t stand Sandra Lee. And who wears such a low cut shirt to cook anyway?? I mean her boobs are falling out of that shirt in the first picture! Is she selling her boobs, or her cooking? I’m confused.

I can’t stand Rachael Ray, but I relate most to her cooking style. I love her magazine, because I don’t have to listen to her talk, but I can still get the benefit of her food!

16. September 23, 2010 12:32 pm

Ooo I can’t stand Sandra and the fact that she has a kitchen aid in every color. I like Giada a lot, and I love when Alton Brown explains things about food!

17. September 23, 2010 12:55 pm

Aw now – I used to really like her show. Not digging her new one at all though – maybe the novelty has totally worn off and she seems a bit (or a lot) fake. Giada is by far my fave.

18. September 23, 2010 12:56 pm

Ugh, i do NOT care for Sandra (although after seeing her chefography i’ll refrain from using the word hate.. she had a rough upbringing). That said, short cuts can be pretty awesome. I love Giada… and Ina Garten’s food is pretty great but her personality can be annoying (she WAY overuses the word FABULOUS). I guess I am a little bit of a tough cookie but I still watch food network all the time!

19. September 23, 2010 1:05 pm

Haha! Too funny. I HATE Sandra Lee

20. September 23, 2010 1:18 pm

My favorite is definitely Paula. She can cook like no ones business

21. September 23, 2010 2:35 pm

I like Giada too. I read an interview a while ago that asked how she kept her figure with all that cooking and she said that she has a very small appetite. She loves to cook and eat but she says she only eats a few bites of each dish and she is full. Who does that?! LOL

22. September 23, 2010 2:49 pm

hahahaha this post is hilarious. Yes Sandra Lee is MArtha stewart gone bad. So funny. My favorite tv network star is Elle Krieger (although I think I could do a better job than her), Paula Deen (she’s too cutE), Giada!!, Bobby Flay…I have a lot

23. erin permalink
    September 23, 2010 3:35 pm

nice! my husband and i call it half-assed cooking with Sandra Lee too 🙂 totally ridiculous show, but i too appreciate the matching of outfits to kitchenaids and the tendency to cook meals in all white – totally realistic.

24. September 23, 2010 5:42 pm

I think it’s funny how Sandra Lee is always making a drink. You don’t see her drinking them, but I think she’s secretly drunk!

25. Ginger permalink
    September 24, 2010 11:44 am

I don’t watch the cooking shows too much these days, and I still have soft spot for Rachel Ray because she was the first one I started watching with you in Charleston. And, I like her cookbooks a lot. I think if I really started watching again, I would probably like Giada the best. Can’t believe there are so many of them now, plus the competitions!

26. Ali permalink
    September 24, 2010 8:43 pm

Sandra Lee… too funny. Have you ever looked around on the foodnetworkhumor(dot)com site? Its hilarious… do a search for Sandra Lee! 🙂

27. Kelly permalink
    September 25, 2010 3:07 pm

I am not a big Sanda Lee fan either…she irks me! I love Ina Gartin…she is my favorite. I have her cookbook and her recipes are amazing!