Turning Orange

September 20, 2010

Hello, hello! Happy Monday to ya!

This morning, I got to work on whittling down my MASSIVE stock of pumpkin.  To everyone out there who still can’t find it—my heart goes out to you.  I’d send you some of mine, except for the small fact that IT’S MINE!!!! ALL MINE!!!!!

Very gracious, I know.

Pumpkin oats were enjoyed post-run.  I did three miles this morning, as per my half-marathon plan.  I’ve mentioned this before, but one thing I LOVE about running is how quickly you can see progress if you put in a little work.  Two weeks ago, when I got started “officially” on my plan, I was running my three mile runs in about 29 minutes.  Not shabby at all, but not extremely speedy either.  I’ve been working on my speed, and this morning, I pounded out 3.1 miles in 26 minutes and some odd seconds, with each split coming in under 9 minutes.  I love seeing that concrete evidence of hard work paying off!

At lunch, the orange brigade continued:

A baked sweet potato topped with 1 cup kidney beans, 1/2 cup fage, spinach, and salsa.  So good!

I got a round of papers AND a round of poems last week from my students, so I’ve been grading ALL morning.  Ugh.  The one bright point?  On Saturday night, Emily gave me this candle:DSC_0011 (44)

…so my office smells like pumpkin and spice and everything nice.

Yes, I might be turning into a pumpkin.  Which reminds me of this classic 90’s hit:

Do y’all remember this song? I used to love it! What up, Dumb and Dumber soundtrack?

Okay.  Back to grading.

1. September 20, 2010 6:30 pm

Awesome run progress, I do like the satisfactions in goal achievement running provides. Yum, amazing pumpkin eats! I am a pumpkin, and winter squash in general, freak! I can’t wait to start cooking more with them more.

2. September 20, 2010 6:35 pm

I love that candle! Have one burning in my kitchen. 🙂

3. September 20, 2010 6:47 pm

Oh I adore pumpkin candles. I pretty much stock up at the end of fall when they go on sale and have them all year. Yum. Loving that sweet potato 😉

4. September 20, 2010 6:47 pm

this sounds amazing! i miss sweet potatoes…

5. September 20, 2010 6:54 pm

Your blog & your pictures has inspired me to commit to my goal of becoming a vegetarian! 🙂 🙂 🙂 It would be awesome if you could post some encouraging things about being vegetarian & how you overcome some of the struggles!

I LOVE your blog!!!

6. September 20, 2010 7:37 pm

I love pumpkin spice candles!!! They smell heavenly!!

7. September 20, 2010 7:50 pm

Isn’t it amazing what the human body can do?! (Equally amazing how easily it goes back to pudge after a few weeks on non-activity…) I never thought to put greek yogurt on a baked potato. Good call!

8. September 20, 2010 8:37 pm

Haha, I love that song! 😉 And pumpkin candles are the BEST!! 🙂 That sweet tater meal looks wonderful, great idea!! 🙂

9. September 20, 2010 8:59 pm

Salsa + greek yogurt is such a good flavor combo!

10. Ginger permalink
    September 20, 2010 9:30 pm

I have never heard that song (not surprising!) I think it’s time to go get a pumpkin latte.

11. patti permalink
    September 20, 2010 10:26 pm

I have been on the search for pumpkin in Seattle for the last few weeks. I finally found it at Costco yesterday!

12. September 20, 2010 10:40 pm

That sweet potato idea is just amazing looking! It would make the perfect after work dinner!

13. September 20, 2010 11:22 pm

Great job getting faster. What type of speedwork do you do?

14. September 20, 2010 11:47 pm

oh yes we are still waiting for pumpkin here! : )

15. September 21, 2010 12:33 am

Congrats on the running progress! It’s so satisfying to see hard work paying off 🙂

16. greensandjeans permalink
    September 21, 2010 1:00 am

The dumb and dumber soundtrack is AMAZING. I should ask my mom if it’s still in my old room…

17. actorsdiet permalink
    September 21, 2010 1:16 am

can you believe i have a friend who doesn’t like orange foods?! crazy b/c all of my faves are orange!

18. September 21, 2010 1:41 am

Girl, I’m going pumpkin crazy too!!! It’s a good thing 🙂
    That sweet potato combo sounds delicious!
    And congrats on the run!!

19. September 21, 2010 3:08 am

I am following in your orange theme Anna – I just ate some delicious roasted squash.

I have never seen Dumb and Dumber…I know, I am NUTS!

20. September 21, 2010 4:33 am

i think i told you that i turned skylar a bit orange around her 1st bday b/c she was eating sooo many pureed carrots, squash, yams, pumpkin, etc…those items made great baby food and i had no idea it could really happen 🙂 2 weeks of non orange food and she was back to porcelain 🙂

21. September 21, 2010 7:19 am

I do not blame you for keeping your pumpkin to yourself (I’m doing the same thing, mwahahahahaaa.)

I’ve got roasted squash, some kind of pumpkin recipe, and sweet potatoes on the menu this week! Yaaay 😀

22. September 21, 2010 7:37 pm

Congrats on your running progress!!!! Your lunch looks good, too bad I’m not a fan of sweet potatoes!

Jen

23. September 21, 2010 8:16 pm

I’m way intrigued by your sweet potato toppings. Really has my imagination going!

24. Dee permalink
    September 28, 2010 1:43 am

This post stuck with me because your sweet potato dish looks so delicious! I finally made my own:

Thanks for the recipe!