Overnight Success

September 13, 2010

I’m not always speedy about jumping on the blogworld trend bandwagon.  I feel like I was reading about green monsters for months before I finally threw some spinach into my smoothie, and I still haven’t tried the ubiquitous oats in a jar (OIAJ, to those in the know.  Which I obviously am not.).

So, it should come as no surprise that I only just last night ventured into the land of overnight oats, something I’ve been hearing about ‘round the blog world for a good year or so now.  Overnight oats are served cold, which makes them ideal for hot summer mornings.  This also begs the question of why I’m only trying them now that the temperature has dropped to the mid-50’s.  Call me a non-conformist.

Anyway, last night, I decided to give them a go.  So, before bed, I threw together half a cup of oats, a cup of almond milk, and a tablespoon of chia seeds, plus a few drops of vanilla liquid stevia.

This morning, after my run, a bowl of overnight oats was waiting in the fridge! There’s something I love about having breakfast waiting for you when you wake up…it’s like a sad, adult version of Christmas morning.

To jazz up my oats, I added some cinnamon and half of a farmer’s market apple, chopped.

The oats, gross as this might sound, reminded me of soggy cinnamon Life cereal…and I mean that as the highest compliment possible.  I loved them…but then, I love soggy Life cereal.  They were mushier than I thought they’d be…I think maybe I added a bit too much liquid?  I’d like to keep experimenting with them!

Is there a blogworld trend you haven’t tried yet, but want to?  I’ve been seeing peanut flour on many a blog, lately, but I haven’t gotten my hands on any yet.

1. September 13, 2010 1:05 pm

Love love love overnighters!! A cup of almond milk is definitely too much though…I like using an overripe banana and maybe 1/4 c milk. Sooooo good!! I have peanut flour to break into too, but haven’t found a vegan recipe I like yet!

• September 13, 2010 1:06 pm

Thanks for the tip!! They were SUPER liquidy, ha!

2. September 13, 2010 1:15 pm

Never done OIAJ or any variation and reeeeeeeeally don’t intend to. Were these oats like, “holy yum!” or “amazeballs”?!

Sorry, I had to.

3. greensandjeans permalink
    September 13, 2010 2:17 pm

I have to admit I love the oats in a jar because it is the perfect way to get every last bit of goodness from my peanut butter jars. I haven’t tried any coconut oil or coconut butter or coconut ice cream but they are allllll over blogs these days!

4. September 13, 2010 2:51 pm

I still haven’t tried oats in general, or green monsters.

5. September 13, 2010 2:53 pm

i’ve thought about the hemp trend, but i really don’t want to spend the money on something i am so unsure of!

• September 13, 2010 3:04 pm

You know, after hearing so many people rave about it, I tried hemp milk a while back, and I didn’t even like it!

6. September 13, 2010 3:06 pm

I’m not a big fan of overnight oats as much as I like the idea of them. Peanut flour is currently on my grocery list and I’ve also been meaning to try to famous protein cookie 🙂

7. September 13, 2010 3:14 pm

Ugh… so not a fan of overnight oats! Sorry to yuck your yum – just can’t stand them!

I think I’ve tried the only ones I really wanted to – like kale chips. 🙂

8. September 13, 2010 3:14 pm

I love that bowl!

9. September 13, 2010 3:25 pm

I still have not done the OIAJ either. I did try the overnight oats, but really don’t like them cold so I heat them up LOL

10. September 13, 2010 3:52 pm

I actually JUST tried the overnight oats last night/this morning as well, and came home to them after my run!

Unfortunately I put WAY too much ginger in it (trying to make ginger-snap flavored oats) so I had to blend it into a LOT of smoothie to get the spice to mellow out.

I love the idea and will do it again though 🙂

11. Becca permalink
    September 13, 2010 5:11 pm

I got on the overnight oats bandwagon about a year ago. I live in the tropics so they are amazing all year round! I do agree with a couple of the other comments – much too much liquid. I got my recipe from KERF – equal parts of oats, milk, and yogurt. I usually do 1/3 c., 1/3 c., 1/3 c. Then, in the morning, I add all of the extras. I’m a bit of a wimp and believe that everything tastes better with chocolate so a few chocolate chip surprises are mixed in along with some fruit and nuts. And all of this coming from a girl who absolutely cannot stand cooked oats… 🙂

12. September 13, 2010 5:15 pm

i tried the overnight oats last summer but about this time of year they got too cold for me in the a.m. so i started nuking them for a minute or two, worked out well enough 🙂

blog trend…hmm, I could write a book and get a big paycheck…kidding! no desire to write one, too much work and energy on the if-come.

have a great week!

13. September 13, 2010 5:19 pm

I try to keep it pretty simple in the kitchen but your dehydrator looks super fun. I’d like to give that a try…. Oh – and I tried to replicate your pumpkin bars and blogged about it. Hope the shout out was ok 🙂

14. September 13, 2010 5:49 pm

I love soggy Cinnamon Life! Thanks for reminding me of its deliciousness. I can’t wait to try these oats…I recently started morning workouts and am ravaging after! Part of what gets me through is knowing I have a hearty breakfast waiting…

15. Christina permalink
    September 13, 2010 7:10 pm

I usually have my overnight oats like this:

1/2 to 3/4 c greek yogurt
    1/4 c almond milk
    1/3 to 1/2 c oats
    super ripe banana, chopped
    vanilla paste (or vanilla extract)
    cinnamon (and sometimes nutmeg and all spice too)

I mix all this together the night before. If you add the banana the night before, it infuses in the yogurt and you get a nice banana flavor! The greek yogurt adds lots of protein and staying power.

Sometimes I add in 1/3 c pumpkin and dried cranberries too 🙂

16. Christina permalink
    September 13, 2010 7:11 pm

Oh! I forgot to add; I add some more almond milk in the morning to thin it out to my liking.

17. September 13, 2010 7:15 pm

I love the overnight oats especially with Angela’s frozen cherry softserve! I only use 1/4c oats with 1/2c almond milk though. It’s nice and thick then, and you can always add more liquid come morning. I’ve tried allot of the blog trends but I have yet to try the nutbutter crusted parsnip fries and I also want to get my hands on the Oceans Alive liquid for my dehydrator recipes…when it arrives that is!!

18. September 13, 2010 7:56 pm

I eat overnight oats almost every morning now b/c they are so easy to just grab and go! I don’t put any liquid in mine, just yogurt. But, I do like mine very “dough-y.” It’s definitely personal preference… I put yogurt, 1/4 cup oats, 1/2 scoop chia seeds, and top with a banana in the morning. They hold me so well!! 🙂

19. September 14, 2010 1:14 am

I feel for the overnight oats trend, and I think you got the description just right — like soggy cold cereal! I have only tried them once, needless to say. I did just have hot oats in a peanut butter jar and it was delicious! More like a way to clean out the jar, though.

I am a fan of the green smoothie, too.

20. Jen permalink
    September 14, 2010 3:32 am

green monsters. i just can’t get into them.. perhaps because the Magic Bullet just doesnt handle spinach well & i don’t like chewing my smoothes :-/

21. September 16, 2010 6:10 pm

I never try that stuff either… and eat hot oats all summer long! I would maybe try this, since I like oats 🙂