Mexican Pita Pizza

September 13, 2010

I’m always reluctant to call any dish in which toppings are piled on a pita round a “pizza.”  Yeah, sure– it’s a pizza.

And light ice cream tastes the same as Hagen Daz.

And Shirataki noodles taste just like spaghetti.

And the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon is just as breathtaking as that other one in Arizona:

PA grand canyon 028

The truth is, there are just some substitutes that aren’t nearly as good as the original.  And you’ll never convince me that any pita “pizza” is better than this:

image

Oh, Venice.  I miss you.

But, that being said—today’s lunch did bear a resemblance to pizza!  And it was on a pita.  So I guess that makes me a monkey’s uncle.  Touché.

Mexican pita pizza with salsa, black bean hummus, and avocado.  I also had an apple on the side.  Oh, and that reminds me—many of you asked about where I get my tahini.  I just buy it at our regular ol’ grocery store! It’s a little pricey—maybe 6 dollars for a jar? But mine has lasted forEVER, because you only need a little to give the hummus that smooth, rich texture and flavor. I use Arrowhead Mills’ brand.

Tonight, I have my first photography class!! I’m very excited, and a little nervous.  It’s been a while since I’ve been on receiving side of the classroom! I’ll be back with a full report tonight.  Have a great afternoon and evening!

1. September 13, 2010 5:53 pm

i’m so excited for the photography class…you’ll have to let us know how it goes 🙂 and as for pita pizzas, they are the stuff of life. that is all 🙂

2. September 13, 2010 5:53 pm

I am SO glad you said that beginning stuff about the pizza and pitta thing – I feel exactly the same 😀
    Good luck in the class!! Tha’s gonna be so fun 🙂

3. abbynormally permalink
    September 13, 2010 5:57 pm

Hahaha I’ve taken many family vacations to the PA grand canyon… none have been nearly as amazing as my one evening spent watching the sunset over the AZ Grand Canyon. Sorry, PA, just not cuttin’ it.

However, your “pizza” looks like it’s miiiighty tasty!

• September 13, 2010 6:07 pm

Ha, where is this PA Grand Canyon? I didn’t even know we had one!

• September 13, 2010 7:06 pm

I believe it is north central or north eastern PA

• September 13, 2010 7:06 pm

And I think some people from central Pa go there for their honeymoons …

• September 13, 2010 8:02 pm

It’s about an hour northeast of State College! It’s actually very pretty…just not “Grand Canyon” pretty 🙂

4. September 13, 2010 6:30 pm

Once you’ve had real Italian food (you know, IN Italy haha) nothing else can compare. But homemade pizza definitely trumps any kind of delivery.

5. September 13, 2010 6:48 pm

You take such beautiful pictures already. I know it will be amazing to see what you can do after a class. Have fun. 🙂

6. Emo permalink
    September 13, 2010 6:50 pm

I thought that first picture was your lunch and I thought, “Wow, go big or go home.” Enjoy your class!
    P.S. — I liked Baxter’s cameo today!

7. September 13, 2010 7:02 pm

We have a Grany Canyon?! 🙂

Good luck at your class!

8. 14yearoldvegan permalink
    September 13, 2010 7:27 pm

Mmm the avocado on the pita pizza looks amazing! 🙂 I’m suree it was good!

9. September 13, 2010 7:58 pm

You’re so lucky to be taking a photography class!! Let us know how it is!

10. September 13, 2010 8:16 pm

$6 is a good price. I paid $9 for mine!

11. September 13, 2010 9:34 pm

Pizza is pizza, healthy alternatives just don’t cut it sometimes! That being said, your mexican pita pizza looks really good!!!! Have fun at the photography class 🙂

Jen

12. September 13, 2010 11:20 pm

Lunch looks delicious no matter what you want to call it! Have fun tonight! Can’t wait to see what you learn!

13. September 14, 2010 12:23 am

have fun at your photog class!

luna bars in peppermint taste “just like thin mints”. yeah, uh-huh. sure. Cant believe everything you read in the sphere 🙂

14. September 14, 2010 1:22 am

Anxious to hear about your first photography class! Admittedly, I’m a little jealous.

15. September 14, 2010 1:49 am

Fun! Hope the class went well. 🙂

16. September 14, 2010 2:29 am

I like the cameo your dog makes in the back of the pizza shot!

And… now I want pizza, and it’s 10:30 at night 😀

17. September 14, 2010 3:23 am

I totally think that there are some things that cannot be substituted but this pizza looks like a delicious substitute to me!!

This post made me laugh!!

18. greensandjeans permalink
    September 14, 2010 4:50 am

I can’t wait to get the recap on the photography class! I’ve been poking around trying to find one that fits with my schedule.

19. September 14, 2010 6:17 am

I took a photography class in high school. As long as our pictures used “the rule of thirds,” we got an A.

I wished I had learned a little bit about photography bu couldn’t really complain about the easy grade ;P

20. September 14, 2010 11:52 am

Haha well every “fake pizza” looks embarassing next to a real Italian pizza. Sometimes you just can’t beat the real thing.

How was the photography class??? Can’t wait to hear more about it!

21. September 14, 2010 1:38 pm

close enough, eh? even if it isn’t that photogenic pizza from italy, it looks delicious!

22. September 16, 2010 2:36 pm

I discovered your blog from the comment on Jessica’s – pretty cool because my boyfriend grew up in Johnstown and I recognized Altoona as being fairly close. I think all of Pennsylvania is so pretty with all the mountains, I’m so used to flat land in the south. Maybe on one of our visits we’ll make it to the PA Grand Canyon!