Laboring on Labor Day

September 6, 2010

Hey guys! Hope your holiday is going well!

Even though we’re no longer running the Hershey Half (boo!!!), my sister and I are still planning on doing the Shreveport half-marathon just before Thanksgiving, so yesterday I made out a new and improved training plan that reflected my new training schedule.  This morning, I took my first training run—an easy three miles in the crisp fall air!  The neighborhood was full of rabbits and chipmunks—it was a fun run!

I got my first batch of student poems on Thursday, so I’ve been working all morning on my responses.  It’s not much of holiday…but we had enough fun this weekend to make up for a labor-filled Labor Day!

On Sunday, we went hiking about an hour outside of town at a place called The Thousand Steps.  They weren’t kidding—there really were a thousand.  The hike up the steps wasn’t that bad—it definitely reminded me of doing the Stairmaster at the gym…but in a much nicer setting! Here are some highlights from our hike:

The dogs, of course, had no trouble making their way up the steps.  They are literally impossible to wear out. Ryan and I were dying at the top, and they were ready to do it ten more times!

After our hike, we had another fun activity planned—a baseball game! We met up with our friends Casey, Rachel, Lee and Steve at an Altoona Curve baseball game.  It was the perfect night for it—cool and clear! Lee and Steve are officially no longer our next-door neighbors :-(  , so we were especially happy to see them!

Anyway, after such a fun weekend, I can’t really complain about having to do work today! Plus, today won’t be all work—we have plans to meet up with Casey and Rachel for Eat, Pray, Love later.  I’ll be interested to see how I like it, because (and I know, this is heresy) I wasn’t crazy about the book.  Honestly, Gilbert kind of got on my nerves—she was so whiny and self-involved!!

Funny for a blogger to complain about someone being self-involved, right?  😉

Speaking of which…here is my lunch for you to look at! Fascinating!

Scrambled eggs + daiya vegan cheese on an Ezekial wrap:

Check out that colorful egg! I got these eggs at the farmers’ market on Friday—you can definitely tell a difference between store-bought and farm-fresh eggs!

After having seen the daiya cheese around the blog world, I picked some up on Friday at the natural foods store.  I’d heard good things about this “cheese,” so I had high hopes, but honestly, it was just okay.  No better or worse than Follow Your Heart.  To tell the truth, I think I just don’t really like vegan cheese substitutes—they always taste kind of…off, to me. I’d rather have the real deal or just go without.  But—if you like the FYH cheese, you’d like Daiya.

I topped my egg-wich with some salsa and wrapped it up for a little huevos rancheros wrap.  Yum!

Plus some carrots and tortilla chips on the side.

See you tonight! Enjoy your holiday!

1. September 6, 2010 5:36 pm

ugh i feel your pain… I am also doing work. Academia waits for no holiday! hopefully we can both enjoy some relief later today. good luck!

2. greensandjeans permalink
    September 6, 2010 5:51 pm

You guys have some beautiful hiking spots out there! I have to work today too, ugh.

3. September 6, 2010 6:10 pm

“No better or worse than Follow Your Heart.”–THANK YOU for this honest review. I have been seeing both, FYH for years and recently of course Daiya and never buy either b/c i truly dont miss cheese and if i did miss it that much, i have no faith that either of the fake cheeses would really satisfy anyway, so i dont waste my time or $ on them…good to know your thoughts and since you’re true foodie, i trust you 🙂

great hiking pics!!!

4. September 6, 2010 6:11 pm

Gorgeous pictures from your hike!!

I graded a bunch of papers this morning and did some lesson planning. Labored on Labor Day, but I’d rather do it in my PJ’s in my own home any day!! 😉 Too bad there’s no working from home when you’re a first grade teacher!! 😉

5. September 6, 2010 6:22 pm

People either love EPL or hated it! Ive heard negative things about the movie though…Im kind of scared to see it!

6. September 6, 2010 6:54 pm

This is definitely a beautiful weekend for a walk!! I definitely think Daiya is the best vegan cheese, but it doesn’t hold a candle to the real stuff. I never crave cheese anyway though, so it’s easy for me to do without!

7. September 6, 2010 7:17 pm

I didn’t much care for Eat Pray Love the movie… but I didn’t read the book. What a cute picture of your dog! 🙂

8. September 6, 2010 8:01 pm

I like FYH about as much as Daiya, too. I still find the gooey texture a little too much to handle. I think it’s important not to expect vegan cheese to be just like non-vegan cheese – it’s a whole different food.

That hike looks incredible. Your pup certainly isn’t running out of steam!

9. September 6, 2010 8:15 pm

That wrap looks delish!

10. September 6, 2010 9:25 pm

What a gorgeous sounding hike. We have a mountain near us that sounds similar in terms of a stairmaster – well, once side. There is the “easy” side that has “stairs” and then the hard side that’s a total killer. Hope you have a great evening!

11. September 6, 2010 9:36 pm

so beautiful and colorful…the hike AND the eggs! 🙂

12. September 6, 2010 10:20 pm

Definitely prettier scenery than the stairmaster.

13. September 6, 2010 11:21 pm

Great pics, what a nice hike. I’ll be interested to see what you think of the movie, I’ve been putting it off debating if I should read the book first or not. You’ve got to try Gena’s tofu scramble, it was impressively like eggs and would go perfect with Daiya!

14. September 6, 2010 11:45 pm

The air looks so fresh and clean in those pics!!

The Thousand Steps — it seems like it would be a stop on a pilgrimage in Asia…

Looks like a lot of fun! And, your dogs sound like they were in their glory! 😉

15. September 7, 2010 1:16 am

Yup, felt the same way about EPL

16. September 7, 2010 2:37 am

I agree… if you’re going to have cheese, might as well just go for it!

17. September 7, 2010 4:31 am

What a lovely hike! Also, thanks for the review of the cheese. I heard so much about it, but now I know it’s not as magical as it is supposed to be.

18. September 7, 2010 6:03 am

That hike looks lovely,
    When I get all wrapped up in city-life I sometimes forget how pretty nature is!

19. September 7, 2010 11:32 am

mmmm, yummmmy! I haven’t had an egg wrap in so long, and I used to eat them all the time. I need to find a good wheat free wrap, that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg. Maybe I’ll have to invent one myself!

Glad you had a nice long weekend. I love how you guys are always doing something new outdoors. This is one reason I want a dog, for an excuse to get out and find new adventures!

20. September 7, 2010 1:23 pm

Is that in the Huntingdon area? I never heard of The Thousand Steps, but I wish I had.

I’m on the lookout for a place to buy farm fresh eggs, too. Have you ever driven out to the Cove and seen the little signs — you can buy them right out of people’s houses!

21. September 7, 2010 6:00 pm

I hated the book too. My primary thought was that she should just get over herself already. Seriously, divorce puts many womyn in this country in poverty and she’s whining about vacationing for months? Ugh, I hated her tone the entire time and I have decided the book took enough hours of my life, I refuse to waste more on the movie (though Julia could probably make it bearable). Curious to hear your review.

• September 8, 2010 12:09 pm

I totally thought the same thing! In the movie, it isn’t quite as annoying as it was in the book.