Lovely Lotus

September 3, 2010

Hey guys! I hope your three-day weekend is off to a good start (if you get Monday off, of course).  Because I teach on Tuesdays and Thursdays, this is just a regular four-day weekend for me…I know, I know.  You feel really sorry for me, right?

Ryan and I headed over to State College this morning to take advantage of the farmers’ market—it’s SO much better there than in Altoona!  The students are back in session, and the market was packed! In fact, all of State College was…it was kind of nice though! It becomes such a ghost town in the summer, like many college towns do.

Before we hit up the farmers’ market, we headed over to the East-West Crossings Cafe.  Danielle and I had lunch there during our first get-together, but my camera battery had died, so I didn’t get any pictures.  This time, I made sure I was blog-ready!

I ordered the same dish that Danielle enjoyed last time: the lotus salad with sweet potatoes and yellow rice.  It also comes with a sweet, spicy dipping sauce.

I just love the lotus slices—I think they’re so pretty!

Plus fresh pomegranate green tea:

So good!

Ryan got a veggie burger, with some of this delicious cucumber tomato sesame salad on the side:

After our delicious lunch, we headed over to the farmers’ market where we picked up some fresh veggies—beautiful chard, grape tomatoes, peaches, and apples.  This time of year is definitely my favorite time for fresh produce! All of the apples and pumpkins and gourds and sweet potatoes are starting to arrive, but the berries and fresh peaches are still good as well!

After picking up almost more than we could carry at the market, we headed over to campus so that I could sign up for…photography classes!! Penn State’s student center has nightly arts and crafts classes that go all semester long.  They offer everything from knitting to ceramics to painting—even stained glass and belly dance classes! The classes are open to students, faculty, and staff, and are pretty cheap for six sessions.

I’m taking a class called, “How To Make Digital Photos Better.”  There’s a second session of more advanced digital photography that starts right when this first one ends, so I guess if I like it, I can keep on taking it all the way through December!

I’m excited to be the student and not the teacher for once.  🙂

After signing up for my course and walking around town a bit, we checked out a natural foods store that we hadn’t yet visited—Nature’s Pantry.  It was nice! Pretty big, with some items that I haven’t been able to find anywhere else in town.  Though we walked in needing nothing in particular, I found a lot of things that, of course, we absolutely HAD to have.  Funny how that works.

Enjoy your Friday, kids!

1. September 3, 2010 8:41 pm

that’s a gorgeous salad! what is the white stuff…is it really lotus?

p.s. i’m ignoring the first part about your typical long weekend…jerk (totally kidding :))

• September 3, 2010 8:42 pm

I know, I know…it does feel kind of jerky to type it out 🙂 Jerky…and awesome. 🙂

• September 3, 2010 8:42 pm

Oh, and yep! Lotus it is!

2. Kristi permalink
    September 3, 2010 8:46 pm

Hey, teach

Would you give me a tutorial on lotus?

3. mindy permalink
    September 3, 2010 9:49 pm

Anna, I’m always so jealous when I hear about all the awesome markets and stores and restaurants you guys have nearby. *sigh* someday I will live in a liberal town… someday…

• September 4, 2010 12:00 pm

Oh, don’t worry. Altoona isn’t liberal at all…though we are lucky to have more liberal towns nearby.

4. September 3, 2010 10:26 pm

What does lotus taste like?!

• September 4, 2010 12:01 pm

It’s really crunchy, with a neutral flavor…kind of like water chestnut, almost!

5. September 3, 2010 10:34 pm

So glad you got to go there again! And… their glass tables make a beautiful background for the tea pic 😉

6. highonhealthy permalink
    September 4, 2010 2:14 am

That course sounds fun! Your photos are lovely already but they’re going to be positively snazzy once you finish the course.

7. September 4, 2010 3:36 am

cant wait to hear about the photog class…as a blogger, any tips are good tips!! ha!

lotus slices…i have NEVER had them. And skylar’s middle name is lotus and i am going to get a lotus tattoo as part of my sleeve…and ive never eaten them! I need to come visit you!

8. September 4, 2010 5:00 am

That salad looks so good! And I agree about the produce at this time… peaches, nectarines, squash, pumpkins, apples… love it!

9. September 4, 2010 9:47 am

i feel like i’d be starving after that meal. Hope you got some ice cream later to make up for it. So what exactly is lotus and what does it taste like?

10. September 4, 2010 12:03 pm

Enjoy your photography class. I think your pictures are great already!

11. September 4, 2010 1:26 pm

I didn’t know you could eat lotus? How beautiful! I’m so excited for your photography class- I want to take one really bad!

12. September 4, 2010 2:29 pm

I’ve never tried lotus before. I would love to take a photography class. I know you’re gonna love it!

13. September 4, 2010 5:54 pm

How pleasing to the eye! And I’m sure it was delicious!! Hope you have a lovely (slightly cheated out of a day) long weekend!!

We are still enjoying Stefan’s visit. Wish Elyssa were here too!! Tonight we are off to a favorite restaurant in Valparaiso (will try to remember to take some photos) and tomorrow brunch in Chicago. Tuesday–diet!!

Best,