I Feel the Need…

September 1, 2010

…the need for speed!

Hello, hello! This morning, I wrote in bed for about two hours (!), took care of some online work, and finally wrapped up my work around 11:30.  I wasn’t quite ready for lunch yet, so I decided to strap on my running shoes and hit the ‘hood for a little walk.  Once I started walking though, I felt the itch to run—so I did!  This run was completely unplanned, but it was exactly what my body wanted, for some reason. I did 3.2 miles, and got home feeling sweaty and good.

I try to plan out my workouts—I know which days I’m going to run, which days I’m going to do strength work, and which days I’ll probably just rest on.  Still, my little running spurt this morning taught me a lesson—never stick to your workout regimen/schedule so closely that you ignore what your body is telling you it wants.  Running was definitely not on my schedule this morning—I have a training session with Eric later this afternoon.  But, once my feet got moving, I felt like running, so I did.

I follow this rule pretty well when it comes to our meals—I try to listen to what my body wants, and plan our meals accordingly.  So, when we go to the grocery store, I’ll buy the ingredients for four or five dinners, but I’ll leave it up in the air in terms of what night of the week we eat which meal, etc.  But, for some reason, I have a harder time letting go of my workout schedule—I like to have a fixed plan! Today was a good example of why you sometimes just have to throw that plan out the window!

When I returned home, I put together lunch: another chickpea smash.  This time, the smash was literal:

This chickpea smash was: 3/4 cup chickpeas, 1 tbsp. golden raisins, 1/4 cup greek yogurt, 1 tbsp. yellow curry, 1/4 tsp. cumin seeds, and salt to taste.  I LOVE the flavor of curry, but you could definitely put a little less in there and still get that great curry flavor.  The cumin seeds added an extra layer of Indian flavor to the dish.

I served my smash over an Ezekial wrap and fresh greens, garnished with a little shredded coconut.  Yum!

I can’t believe it’s already 2:30…where did the day go?  I always feel like time slips away from me on my days off…although I suppose the fact that I just spent half an hour watching the Fashion Police on E! doesn’t help matters.  I can’t believe they voted Anna Paquin worst dressed over January Jones?!?  You know I love me some Betty Draper, but that dress was awful. It looked like a big pile of smurf vomit.

See you tonight!

1. September 1, 2010 6:33 pm

Smurf vomit- LOL!!!

I have a scheduled work out plan, and I hate deviating from it, but maybe I need to sometimes. I also have a meal plan for the week, but like you, I don’t always eat the meal I planned for that day, what I planned for Monday night, we may not have until Thursday night.

Jen

2. September 1, 2010 6:34 pm

Spur of the moment runs are the best! I had one after the HLS..it was incredible!
    Lovin the chickpea smash 🙂

3. September 1, 2010 6:34 pm

i’m now craving curry…thanks a lot 🙂 seriously though, i’m buying chickpeas and raisins tonight!

4. September 1, 2010 6:51 pm

I thought Anna Paquin’s dress was very her, I liked it! Agree with you about JJ though.

5. September 1, 2010 7:37 pm

That’s how I approach things too. The stress free side of it really is wonderful.

6. September 1, 2010 9:22 pm

The chickpea smash is such a great idea!! It could be a great replacement for my avocado smash since I’m trying to get out of my food rut 🙂

7. September 1, 2010 9:54 pm

I LOVE the combo of chickpeas and curry. Yummy!

8. September 1, 2010 10:08 pm

I hate how time flies on days off! Also… your posts show up in my reader like hours after you post them. Don’t know what’s up with that!

• September 1, 2010 11:54 pm

Uh oh!!! Let me know if it keeps happening…not that I’ll be able to figure out what I need to do to fix it, ha! 🙂

9. September 1, 2010 10:15 pm

DO ignore your body’s desire to run when you get to the taper part of your half marathon schedule though! The whole point of tapering is to be at your peak on race day. It might not be as bad for a half, but for a full marathon, you kind of want to pull your hair out when you taper. All you want to do is run, which is the one thing you’re not supposed to do. I always try to find “taper-madness” projects to do at home and off my feet during those couple weeks where you keep the running quality but lose the running quantity. A good example though of when to ignore your body’s wants for the greater good! So ignore your sched all you want now, but when it’s taper time, follow it religiously. Just my advice!

10. September 1, 2010 10:28 pm

Such a good point. I used to always plan my workouts, but now I just wake up and do whatever I’m in the mood for. This morning, for example, I was strangely in the mood for YOGA, so I did it and it was great! Planning is a great thing, but with exercise it’s not always the best idea. Planning to exercise, in general, is obviously smart though 🙂