Are You There, Fall? It’s Me, Anna.

September 1, 2010

Dear Summer,

Well, it’s been a great three practically five months.  We had a blast together, didn’t we?  I’ll be honest—Winter left me feeling pretty horrible.  You know, I’m not one for name calling, but if Winter isn’t a nasty ho, I don’t know who is.  She was all up in my grill with snowstorm after snowstorm.  She ruined my travel plans more than once.  She had all of the control in our relationship—always dictating what I could do and when…she even controlled what I could and couldn’t wear!! It was all very Fred Savage/Candace Cameron in the Lifetime movie, No One Would Tell.  Except, you know…Winter didn’t kill me.

But then, Summer—you came along.  Sure, there was a fling with Spring.  I mean, I don’t know if I would even call it a “fling.”  We hung out, sure, but—it never meant anything to me.  Really! I was thinking about you the whole time!  Anyway, Spring was nice and all, but…there was just nothing there, you know?  There was no real connection.  I always felt like something was just…off

And then, Summer, you entered my life and swept me off my feet.  The higher temperatures…hour upon hour of daylight…the long vacations.  When the sun shone, there were hikes and long walks on the beach.  And Summer, when the rain came, we spent an entire day watching Felicity reruns together and eating peanut butter from the jar.  It’s okay—you don’t have to be embarrassed!  It’s not embarrassing, Summer…it’s beautiful!

And the meals, my gosh, the meals.  Bowls overflowing with fresh fruit, homemade ice cream, veggie burgers and corn hot off the grill.  Cold beers and hot nights…Summer, we had it all.

And that’s why it pains me to write this letter.  You see, lately I’ve been feeling like we’ve grown apart—like maybe the best of this relationship is behind us.  You’ve seemed…distant.  Or maybe I’m the one who’s been distant…it’s so hard to know.  I’m not trying to play the blame game, Summer.  We’ve both made mistakes.

I think we both have to accept the fact that things aren’t what they used to be.  The corn that was once so sweet has lost its flavor:

DSC_0003 (41) DSC_0006 (37)

On the other hand, sweet potatoes are just now coming into season.  I know I shouldn’t say this, but the sweet potatoes I had tonight were fantastic, Summer.  I’m not trying to be cruel, just honest.  Sweet potatoes have never really been your thing, but I have to say—I’m looking forward to them.

I know this is going to be hard for you to hear, so I’ll just say it: I’ve been hanging out with Fall.  I know, I know—he’s not really my type.  But Summer, I think that’s just it:  I’ve changed.  It’s not you, Summer—it’s me.  I know that sounds like a line, but it’s true.  Fall understands the new me—the me who likes slightly colder temperatures and changing leaves.  The me who doesn’t want to sweat like a hog every time I open the front door.  Fall gets me in a way that I never thought anyone could…he gets me more than I get myself.  It’s deep, Summer.

I know what you’re going to say—he’s only going to hurt me.  And that might be true.  He hangs out with a different crowd—I’ve even heard his name associated with Winter once or twice.  But Summer, he swears those rumors aren’t true.  Am I foolish to believe him?  Maybe.

But as D.H. Lawrence once said, “Love is the flower of life, and blossoms unexpectly and without law, and must be plucked where it is found, and enjoyed for the brief hour of its duration.”

Or, as the Miami Sound Machine sang in the opening number of Three Men and a Baby, “Bad, bad, bad, bad boys…you make me feel so good.”

So, anyway…I hope we can still be friends.  Maybe I’ll see you around sometime?  Maybe the three of us can even hang out together—no pressure!  I’ll always cherish the memories of what we had, Summer.  I love you, but I’m not in love with you.  Someday, you’ll find someone new who can give you the things that I’m just not prepared to give.

Always Yours (in June, July and August),

Anna

1. September 1, 2010 11:51 pm

Too cute!

I absolutely love Fall. I feel alive and invigorated once the weather starts to get cooler.

2. September 2, 2010 12:04 am

oh my gosh, i’m in tears laughing. and this is why i love this blog…that and the amazing recipes 🙂

3. September 2, 2010 12:15 am

Awesome! Fall is my FAVORITE season. Sad that it means winter will be next but I’m determined to enjoy every single second of autumn. 😀

4. 14yearoldvegan permalink
    September 2, 2010 12:24 am

hahahah 🙂 i love this so much! summer is my favorite season! it’s when i feel vibrant, energetic and alivee. but in winter and fall.. i feel like a blob of mush that can’t go outside because it’s too cold.

5. September 2, 2010 12:41 am

Love, love, love this! 🙂

6. September 2, 2010 12:46 am

Love this, but summer is still the bomb for me 😉

7. September 2, 2010 12:48 am

You are hysterical!!! Too funny!

8. highonhealthy permalink
    September 2, 2010 12:59 am

This was great! Poor Summer, I think you broke his heart. 😉 I’m slooowly breaking up with Summer too.. but it hurts. A lot. I’m not ready for what Fall is offering!

9. September 2, 2010 1:07 am

Haha, you are so adorable! 🙂 I hope Summer takes the news well. 😉 I’m breaking up with Summer too. Ready for all of the excitement and promises of Fall. Let’s hope Fall can commit soon!! 🙂

10. September 2, 2010 1:16 am

You could not have said it any better! This just made my day!

11. Jen permalink
    September 2, 2010 2:49 am

great post, you have captured exactly how I feel about the seasons. Summer is wonderful in the moment! everything is great! but then.. that great feeling just kind of goes away when you realize fall is right around the corner. I cant WAIT for fall! (i live in Texas so i have some time to wait :-/)

thanks for sharing your creative writing skills with us bloggers!

12. September 2, 2010 4:43 am

you have more creativity in this one “simple” blog post than many people have in their entire 4 yrs of college and im not kidding. you are tOTaLLY a teacher; i can feel it, and it’s lovely. even tho summer is my love, period end of story 🙂

13. September 2, 2010 4:44 am

This is the best post I’ve read in a long time. 🙂

14. September 2, 2010 5:32 am

I LOVED this.
    This is the first time I’ve been to your blog and now I am staying for sure 🙂

15. September 2, 2010 12:06 pm

Very clever! Fall will inevitably hurt you but, until he does, it will feel SO good.

16. September 2, 2010 1:21 pm

Cute post, Anna! Just remember, Pennsylvania winters come out of nowhere, with no warning! It could be snowing tomorrow!!! (Maybe not, but give it a month.)

All of my Pennsylvania friends are talking about the feeling of fall in the air, and I’m guessing that’s something that’s going to skip right over me all the way down here. If it means no snow, I”ll take it!

17. September 2, 2010 3:17 pm

This is your best post yet. And I love the Fred Savage mention

18. September 2, 2010 3:33 pm

Awesome post, very creative! Sad to see summer go, especially since it was a dull one for us. But I’m okay with falls here. 🙂

19. greensandjeans permalink
    September 2, 2010 4:05 pm

You’re too cute. I am kicking summer in the butt as it walks out the door, but unfortunately we still have 100+ temps in the southwest!

20. actorsdiet permalink
    September 2, 2010 4:25 pm

i’m really disappointed in myself re: summer foods this year. i had corn maybe once? but i’m looking forward to fall and sweet potatoes!!!

21. September 2, 2010 4:28 pm

This is such a cute post! I love fall and I am looking forward to apples and sweet potatoes!!

22. September 2, 2010 5:03 pm

Anna,

Your pictures are absolutely amazing! What camera do you use?

I love fall too! I’m actually pretty excited that summer is over!!!

Ѽ HefiA

• September 3, 2010 12:23 pm

Thank you!! I use a Nikon 5000. I LOVE it!!

23. patti permalink
    September 2, 2010 7:53 pm

What a great blog! I love all the seasons but will miss summer but now I know it is fall because school is starting next week. Here’s to pumpkins and cider:)

24. September 2, 2010 8:18 pm

You are so clever! I love this post. And I love Fall.

25. September 2, 2010 8:37 pm

Love this post and I love fall!!! I actually love all of the seasons but fall rules!!

p.s. great title 🙂

26. September 2, 2010 10:41 pm

lol loved your letter! And I agree – winter is a nasty ho. I totally wish winter would hold of for, say, ever. But I will enjoy every bit of fall while it lasts!

27. September 2, 2010 11:23 pm

LOL, I love your little play on the seasons, so cute!!

I am obsessed with sweet potatoes, so I am SO STOKED that they are finally coming back into season…whoo hoo 🙂

28. September 2, 2010 11:42 pm

Great post. Made my day.

29. Cynthia permalink
    September 3, 2010 1:53 pm

Anna, you are too funny! I absolutely love your blog and your recipes! 🙂

30. September 4, 2010 9:45 am

well written love letter. you got me feeling all sad for Summer and I hate Summer.

Trackbacks