Taco, Deconstructed

August 30, 2010

Hey guys! I can’t believe it’s Sunday already! We’ve had a busy, fun-filled weekend.  Last night, we met up with some of our Penn State friends for drinks, and then today we drove to State College to meet with Danielle and her husband for a picnic in the park.  Fun!

I love busy weekends like this…but I also like relaxing at home! Tonight, we made an easy dinner, and we’re relaxing on the couch…there’s just really nothing better.

We made some easy tempeh tacos tonight.  I always stuff my tacos full, but then they tip over before I can get a good picture, so tonight, I tried a different method:

Tacos, deconstructed:

For the tempeh “meat,” I browned half an onion in a little olive oil, then added the crumbled tempeh and a few tablespoons of taco seasoning, plus about 1/4 cup of tomato sauce and 1/3 cup of water.  Let it cook for a few minutes, and voila! Tempeh taco meat!

Tell me that doesn’t look just like ground turkey or chicken:

Along with our “meat,” we had homemade guac and fresh tomatoes.  Simple and delicious!

DSC_0024 (17)DSC_0025 (16)

Mad Men time! See you tomorrow!

1. highonhealthy permalink
    August 30, 2010 3:14 am

Wow! That really does look like meat. 😮 Amazing!

I’ve never seen blue taco shells like that before. Only the bright yellow ones that come in a kit. :/

2. greensandjeans permalink
    August 30, 2010 3:58 am

Ugh, I am so far behind with Mad Men this season!

3. August 30, 2010 10:46 am

That does look just like meat. I’m dying to try tempeh, but I’m a little nervous about it. I’m with you on liking busy and relaxing weekends. This one was a little busier than usual, but the four day one coming up has relaxation written all over it!

4. August 30, 2010 11:51 am

those pictures look like they are right out of a magazine!

5. August 30, 2010 11:52 am

That looks delicious!! I’ve been LOVING homemade guac recently, but hadn’t thought to add it to tempeh…thanks for the idea!!

6. August 30, 2010 12:22 pm

You are totally speaking to me with this one! I’ve been craving a little Mexican flavor lately! Thanks, girl!

7. August 30, 2010 12:40 pm

Dinner looks great. I know I’ve mentioned it before, but I never think to grind or crumble up tempeh.

8. August 30, 2010 1:22 pm

Even this carnivore is digging those tacos! That looks awesome.

9. August 30, 2010 5:06 pm

I know, this weekend vanished way too quickly! Yum, I need to try tempeh taco “meat”, that looks wonderful!

10. August 30, 2010 5:20 pm

The avocado and tomato look amazing!