Beans, Beans

August 27, 2010

They’re good for your heart!

Last night, I walked home from my last class and arrived home at about 7:15 to find a big package on our stoop.  As part of the Foodbuzz Tastemaker Program, I received a big package of goodies from Goya—beans, rice, and seasoning!  We decided to put some of the beans to immediate use!

It’s actually been a while since I’ve had beans, what with this raw challenge and all.  These were mighty tasty!  I mixed one can of Goya black beans with 2 tablespoons of greek yogurt, 1/2 a cup of jarred salsa, and fresh corn kernels from two ears of corn.  Mixed it all together with some fresh chopped cilantro, and voila! A yummy Mexican mess of a meal!

We served our Mexican Mess over brown rice:

This was simple and delicious.  The Goya beans had great flavor.

When I arrived home last night, I was eager to check on my dehydrator project—raw flax crackers! (Evan, you called it 🙂 )  For the cracker “batter,” I soaked two cups of flax seed in about two cups of water over night.  When I came down yesterday morning, the flaxseeds were thick and slimy, kind of like chia seeds.  In the food processor, I processed one carrot, half a zucchini, onion salt, herbes de Provence, and 2 tablespoons of ground flax until smooth, then added this to the soaked flaxseeds, which gave me this:

The batter! I spread the batter thin onto two dehydrator sheets, and popped them in for 6 hours.  Upon arriving home, however, I saw that they still needed more dehydrating! The bottom sheet especially was still pretty wet. I flipped the cracker sheets and dehydrated again for another six hours.  Finally, this morning, when I came down to check on them, we had success!

They’re crisp and good! I think they’ll be really good dipped in hummus or raw pate.  I also think they’ll be great sprinkled over salads.

The lesson?  Raw crackers are easy…but time consuming! I’d love to experiment with some different flavors…but this made a batch of 100 crackers, so I have to eat these first!

Tonight, we’re going to Nick and Emily’s to help them brew a batch of their homemade beer! I’m so excited! We’re supposed to bring an appetizer to snack on during the bottling process…any suggestions?

Have a great day!

1. August 27, 2010 12:58 pm

I would love a dehydrater to make raw crackers (and especially raw desserts) but I don’t have the room for one!

• August 27, 2010 1:03 pm

Yeah, we’re running out of room…mine is in our basement 🙂

2. August 27, 2010 1:05 pm

Your Mexican Mess looks good – those are some of my favorite flavors and I always forget how much I like a simple meal like that.

3. August 27, 2010 1:42 pm

great recipe! I haven’t made raw crackers in a while, i have to get on that!

4. August 27, 2010 1:55 pm

I love Goya beans! I get them all the time here in Miami. Your raw crackers look delicious too!

5. August 27, 2010 2:21 pm

Oh that Mexican Mess looks delish. Maybe I need to add that to Mexican Monday Menu. 😉 Those crackers look good even if they did take forever to make. Happy Friday!

6. August 27, 2010 2:22 pm

Those crackers are so cool! As for an app… hummus is always a hit!

7. August 27, 2010 2:40 pm

Looks good. Even the “mess”. 😉

One of these days I’m going to try out making crackers. I borrowed my friend’s dehydrator with that very intent, but never got around to it and then just ended up giving it back.

One of these days.

8. greensandjeans permalink
    August 27, 2010 2:56 pm

Beer always makes me want chips and salsa, so maybe you could make some raw chips and salsa?

9. August 27, 2010 3:08 pm

wanna send me some crackers? i don’t normally like them, but these sound really great!

10. August 27, 2010 3:42 pm

Rice and beans is one my favorite meals. And good for the budget too!

11. August 27, 2010 3:54 pm

What a simple and delicious meal. I love beans and rice.

12. August 27, 2010 4:52 pm

The more you eat, the more you…….

That dinner looks great, and so do the crackers!!!

Hmmm you could bring hummus, or tomato bocconcini skewers….

p.s. I you tubed old Lisa Frank commercials last night. My husband wan’t impressed

13. August 28, 2010 8:31 am

Those crackers look soooooo goooooooood!!!! wow!! Bet taste super duper!!!