Awwww, Man!

August 25, 2010

(said in a disappointed voice)

Well, I got some bad news this morning.  My sister and I were all psyched to run the Hershey half marathon in October, but when we called to register today, we discovered that it’s already reached capacity!! What a bummer!

We’re still planning on running a half in Shreveport in November, so there’s that to look forward to, but still—I was really excited about the chocolate aid station!

Rats.

Anyway, moving on.  I did work all morning long for my online courses, and then headed to the gym around 11:45 to get a workout in.  Around 1:00, I arrived back home for lunch, which came in bits and pieces:

Green monster:

Raw crackers + raw Alta Dena goat cheese (which is the bomb.com):

Plus an unpictured Lara bar for “dessert.”

The clouds are rolling in, but I think we’re going to take the dogs to the park—they haven’t been on an outing in a few days!

For my classes yesterday, I always ask one “funny” question as an ice breaker when my students introduce themselves to the class.  Yesterday, I asked my students, “What’s a song that you’re embarrassed to like?”  I got some pretty good responses—and had to reveal to them that I happen to have Bieber Fever.

One of my students informed me that the kids call that being a “Belieber.”  Good to know.

What’s a song you’re embarrassed that you like?

1. August 25, 2010 6:42 pm

belieber? hahahaha…college kids say the darndest things 🙂 i still love the spice girls…no shame!

• August 26, 2010 5:04 pm

Ooh, I also like Spice Girls. And I have Wannabe in my running playlist, which got copied to my husband’s ipod. And since we live in a trendier area of our city (near the gay area), he’s kind of worried that he’ll collapse from running some time and whoever tries to revive him will assume he’s gay for listening to it and won’t look for a wife among his emergency contacts. But the bottom line is that he loves it too and listens to it all the time when he runs! And then sometimes in the kitchen I’ll catch him singing, tell me whatcha want, whatcha really, really want…

2. August 25, 2010 6:53 pm

Hollidaysburg’s half is Oct. 2! C’mon! You know it’s sooo much cooler than Hershey! 🙂

I’ve never, ever heard a Justin Bieber song. I plan to keep it that way!

• August 25, 2010 8:58 pm

Oh man! We’re already going to be in Hershey, or I totally would! Will you be in town for the Haul?

You can’t escape the Bieber, Abby. He WILL get you.

3. August 25, 2010 7:09 pm

He’s younger even than ME! That ain’t right.
    Umm, my entire iTunes is embarassment, ha. These past few rainy days I’ve been listening to Jewel circa 1997. Aww yeah.

4. August 25, 2010 7:09 pm

Everything I like is embarassing… I like old people music – Steve Tyrell, Kenny G, Frank Sinatra, etc.

• August 25, 2010 8:58 pm

LOL– I totally have a soft spot for Kenny G. Very embarrassing.

5. August 25, 2010 7:27 pm

Bummer about the race… maybe there’s another one coming up?

My music taste is so eclectic that I don’t even get embarrassed anymore 😉

6. August 25, 2010 7:53 pm

Well drats on the race being full. That sort of stinks when you had high hopes for chocolate aid stations. Maybe you need a piece of chocolate as comfort 😉

7. August 25, 2010 7:59 pm

I’ll sing to any Britney or Katy Perry song… and that is definitely embarrassing!

8. August 25, 2010 8:02 pm

hey! i need your original ice breakers. I start my groups out with ice breakers too and I’m sick of my boring ones. HELP!! SO that cheese is really good? I don’t really even know what raw cheese means.

• August 25, 2010 9:02 pm

I’ve asked them whether they’d rather have the power of invisibility or flight– that was a good one. I’ve asked for their strangest job. I’ve made them say, “My current favorite _____ is _______ .” Those are a few that stand out in my memory!

The raw cheese is made with raw milk 🙂

9. August 25, 2010 8:47 pm

Bummer about the race! That chocolate aid station really would have been something!

I’m a bit embarrassed about my Lady Gaga obsession. I only listen to her when I’m exercising, but still! Some of her lyrics really do make me blush while I’m on the treadmill!

10. August 25, 2010 8:55 pm

I’m sorry to hear about your race! Bummer. But Abby told me about the YMCA one in Oct and I’m thinking about running that. Come onnn do it too!

And I was mortified to admit that I liked Mylie Cyrus “Party in the USA” when that was big. Actually, I’m still a little embarassed.

• August 25, 2010 9:03 pm

I know!! I wish I’d known– we’re already going to be in Hershey! Bummer!

11. August 25, 2010 8:57 pm

That glass your smoothie is in reminds me of my mom. She loves flamingos… in fact she might have something very similar to that!!

I like all of those teeny bopper pop songs, like Miley Cyrus. Haha! 😉

12. August 25, 2010 9:34 pm

Not a fan of Beiber. Were those Mary’s Gone Crackers I saw?

13. August 25, 2010 10:55 pm

I’m sorry the race was full. There’s always next time!

I’m embarrassed to admit that I like that song “99 Red Balloons” by Nena. I think it came out in the 90’s?

14. August 25, 2010 11:31 pm

haha… JB was here in Sydney to do a free outdoor concert, but he never got on stage ’cause the ten thousand screaming girls were too out of control. some were even sent to hospital! didn’t know he was such a heart-throb…. 🙂

i’m embarrassed to like Britney, but her songs are awesome to run to 🙂

15. August 26, 2010 12:44 am

I just registered for the half marathon that I’ve been training for after I read this post!

16. August 26, 2010 2:54 am

That green monster photo makes me feel like I’m on vacation… (insert relaxed beach sigh here).

17. August 26, 2010 4:55 am

Hi. I’m a new reader and your question had me giggling because I had that same thought on the way home today. I was singing LOUDLY to that Keisha (Kashi? Keshi?) girl “Your love is my drug”. Sigh.

• August 26, 2010 2:40 pm

Haha, yes, I have a guilty love of Ke$ha too 🙂

Kashi. Lol.

18. August 26, 2010 4:56 am

Oh, and I’m looking at St. Jude in December so I’m going right now to see about registering.

19. greensandjeans permalink
    August 26, 2010 5:26 am

Bummer on the race! Luckily, there are no shortages of halves that time of year! My entire iTunes collection is a little ridiculous and I have no problem admitting that I have High School Musical songs in the mix…

20. August 26, 2010 1:33 pm

That hershey half sounds pretty cool. Is it just me or do you find it odd that a chocolate company would sponsor a half marathon?

• August 26, 2010 1:33 pm

Haha…it’s the name of the town, too 🙂

21. 14yearoldvegan permalink
    August 30, 2010 1:27 pm

Hahah love the food and green smoothie! But about the bieber thing.. that kids got to go! In the teen section of magazines, he’s on the cover of EVERY SINGLE MAGAZINE out there! I think there’s suppose to be a movie coming out on his life..? Not surprised. Look up Cody Simpson too! He’s like the exact same person.

Trackbacks