Bust Out the Lisa Frank

August 24, 2010

Cause it’s time to go back to school!

Was anyone else ALL about the Lisa Frank when they were younger?  I definitely was.  Actually, I still kind of am.  Do you think my students would think it was weird if I showed up with this notebook on the first day of school?

Totally appropriate.

The sad thing is, most of my students probably don’t even know what Lisa Frank is.  Sigh. That’s the hard thing about these college kids…I keep getting older.  They stay the same age.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Never did I think I would share the same philosophy as an early 90’s Matthew McConaughey character.

Well, the summer seems to have flown by again.  I know I can’t complain, because we had a pretty rockin’ summer, but I’m just not ready to go back to school!

On the subject of going back to school, I’ve received quite a few e-mails lately asking what it is exactly that I do.  I can understand the confusion, because—especially if you’re a newer reader—it might appear that I do absolutely nothing but take fun trips and hang out with my dogs.  Sadly, this is not the case.

In 2008, I graduated from my Masters program with an MFA (Masters of Fine Arts) in creative writing—specifically poetry.  After another year of teaching at the school I graduated from (Purdue), my husband graduated with his PhD in Rhetoric and Composition, and was hired to teach English at the Penn State campus in Altoona, PA.  Generously, they offered me classes as well.  I currently teach three classes each semester—this semester, I’m teaching two composition classes (basically our equivalent of Freshman English) and an intro creative writing class.  Year-round, I also teach composition and grammar classes through an online university.  These classes are nine weeks long, and I usually teach two at a time.  In addition to my teaching, I’m also constantly writing and sending out poetry.  This past year, I’ve been working on memoir as well.

So, yeah, I actually do have things to do, despite what it might look like during the summer months.  🙂

Every semester, it takes me a few weeks to figure out how my schedule is going to take shape.  For example, this morning, I knew I wanted to run, so I didn’t eat breakfast.  I ran from 9-10, then ate breakfast around 10:30, MUCH later than I usually do.  Having eaten such a late breakfast, I’m not really hungry for lunch yet, but I need to eat because I’ll be teaching from 1:15 until 3:55.

Because of this, my lunch is pretty small:

And I’ll probably enjoy a sizeable snack later in the afternoon between classes.

Annnnnd, I’m off to shape young minds! See you tonight!

1. August 24, 2010 4:43 pm

oh.my.gosh i totally forgot about lisa frank! hilarious!

2. August 24, 2010 5:57 pm

I LOVE that you just posted Lisa Frank. Hello sleepaway camp!

3. August 24, 2010 6:25 pm

I’m sure having such a beautiful Lisa Frank notebook will make you the most popular girl in school. The girls will be envious, and the boys will be sending you love notes in no time. Ryan better keep an eye on you. 🙂

I loved Lisa Frank. I had Lisa Frank everything. They still make the sparkly lips folder, and I had one last year when I taught middle school. Some of my students had the same one. 🙂

4. Emo permalink
    August 24, 2010 6:50 pm

I had Lisa Frank playing cards… in 6th grade. Ahem. How much does it freak you out that all college students were now born in the 90’s?! “They stay the same age..” Have a fabulous first day!
    (Oh, and my mom is looking into University of Phoenix teaching! She was intrigued that you do.)

• August 25, 2010 1:09 pm

Tell Mama Oye to e-mail me if she has any questions about UoP teaching!

5. August 24, 2010 7:44 pm

Two things.

As someone who currently works on a college campus I feel you when it comes to the whole Matthew McConaughy from Dazed and Confused thing…
    AND
    I was all about the Lisa Frank products as a kid too! And then I worked there. I found out after getting hired that it was voted one of the WORST places to work in Tucson, AZ. And it was. But the products are still cool.

6. August 24, 2010 7:56 pm

I graduated high school in ’08, and Lisa Frank was still all the rage when I was in elementary school. You’re not old, I promise 🙂 My mom would never buy them for me though- she said they were silly!!

7. August 24, 2010 8:18 pm

what a great teaching career. i knew you taught, but this is a good explanation.

Small lunch, but still beautiful! enjoy your evening 🙂

8. August 24, 2010 8:22 pm

I didn’t know you’re a teacher too! Cool!! 🙂 Though your students are MUCH older than my first graders! 😉

9. August 24, 2010 8:47 pm

OMG I was obsessed with Lisa Frank…

10. August 24, 2010 8:51 pm

I used to collect Lisa Frank erasers when I was in elementary school– I LOVED them!

11. August 24, 2010 8:53 pm

I loved Lisa Frank!!!!! I still do……

12. August 24, 2010 8:55 pm

You must admit, you do get around girl 😉 I think it’s so fabulous that you and the hubs have jobs that allow for that though.

13. August 24, 2010 9:09 pm

Lol, I remember Lisa Frank. I scribbled graffiti all over the few LF notebooks I had, dolphins had offensive tattoos, etc. 🙂

14. August 24, 2010 9:36 pm

LOVED Lisa Frank growing up!

The start of school is always so rough. Hope it goes as smoothly as possible for you.

15. Ginger permalink
    August 24, 2010 10:46 pm

Hope your first day went well (did you get new school shoes? a new backpack? Sigh…I miss driving y’all around in carpool!)

16. August 24, 2010 10:56 pm

Lisa Frank was my dream come true when I was a wee one. Sadly, I’m seeing a lot more BRATZ in my classroom than Lisa Frank these days. What happened to the innocent and multicolored adorable little animals?! Oh, and your sandwich looks delicious!

17. August 25, 2010 12:03 am

I love the unicorn erasers and folders! I had forgotten all about those. At least your students don’t wear SillyBands…so sick of those! They get lost all the time.

18. August 25, 2010 1:14 am

I don’t think I knew what Lisa Frank was. But I was obsessed with Dazed and Confused when I was in high school.

19. August 25, 2010 4:16 am

It’s so interesting to hear what you do! I kind of wondered a little bit too 🙂

I loooooved Lisa Frank too!

20. August 25, 2010 11:14 am

I am always tempted to buy the Lisa Frank-esque school supplies….of course my students are in elementary school, so they might just think I was cool. 🙂

21. August 25, 2010 1:23 pm

I am the biggest Lisa Frank fan!

Have I ever told you about the creepiest thing I ever witnessed on your campus? Will have to e-mail you.

22. August 25, 2010 5:01 pm

OMG I was a lisa frank fanatic! I had to have everything from the notebooks and folders to the stickers and pencils!