Rawgust, Seattle Style + Golf and Friends

August 20, 2010

Hey guys!  Sorry for the disappearing act yesterday—we were playing in downtown Seattle ALL day! Ryan’s parents actually live about twenty-five minutes outside of Seattle, so when we go into town, we usually just end up staying!

We started out our trip at U Village, where, amazingly, I was able to restrain myself at Anthropologie and Lululemon.  I tried on a pair of yoga pants that I really loved, but I’m sorry—I just can’t justify a 100 dollar price tag on a pair of yoga pants! Alas, we left with only the wedding gifts we came for—I think Ryan was proud of me!

For lunch, my i-phone was a lifesaver—I simply typed in “raw” into my map search, and discovered that Thrive, a raw cafe and juice bar, was right around the corner! It took us about ten minutes to get there—perfect!

When we arrived, we took a look at the menu…and were a little overwhelmed! They had so much to choose from, from raw burgers to raw nachos to delicious salad creations…how to choose?!?  Finally, Ryan went with the “awaken” grain bowl: steamed Bhutanese red rice or quinoa tossed with Marinated Kale, avocado, toasted nori, scallions, seasonal veggies, and dressed in our house made Sesame-Ginger sauce.

Delicious!  As for me, I went with one of their signature dishes: the samurai bowl:  Magically mineralized sea kelp noodles marinated in sweet and savory teriyaki sauce and served with sword-sliced red and green cabbage. Topped with Cashews.

Along with the dishes, we both got smoothies—mine was coconut blended with (house made!) almond milk, agave, almond butter, kale, and lots and lots of mint.  Yum!

Finally, I also ordered a shot of zrii: This potent ayurvedic blend of amalaki, tulsi, turmeric, jujube, schizandra, and ginger is an amazing rejuvinator.  It was supposed to give me light, luster, splendor and prosperity…but I was a little nervous:

Throwing it back!

The verdict?  Yummy! It tasted like acai juice.  I could feel the light radiating from me.  😉

Our Thrive meal was seriously delicious.  Like, moan and groan delicious.  I told Ryan, if we had a raw restaurant like this in Altoona, I would eat there every day!

After lunch, we stopped in at Whole Foods to get some wine for our dinner date.  The Whole Foods here are SO big!! I was feeling pretty virtuous about my self-control at U Village, but I had to break down and get a few things at Whole Foods—it was just too tempting! I got some fun raw products that will be making an appearance on the blog soon!

Finally, it was time to meet up with my friend Mary Margaret! Mary Margaret moved to Seattle about four years ago, so every time we come into town, we get to see her too! We’ve been friends since grade school, and I know whenever I see her, my stomach will hurt from laughing so much…don’t you just love those friendships?

We bounced around some different ideas about what to do for the day, and finally ended up at the Green Lake Park pitch and putt golf course.  None of us are golfers, so it might have been a bad idea…but we were willing to try!

Mary Margaret and I were more interested in striking funny poses than mastering the art of the game:

Gotta stretch before you golf, right?

Helping Mary Margaret with her swing:

I think the people behind us really loved us.

I don’t think any of us will be attending the Masters anytime soon, but it was a fun afternoon!

Around 6:00, we left Mary Margaret to meet up with our friend Brian in Ballard.  Brian is a good friend from grad school—another creative writer!He moved to the area last year, and seems to be enjoying it!  It’s Seattle…what’s not to love?

After a few beers at an Irish pub, the three of us headed out to meet back up with Mary Margaret, who cooked up a storm at her condo for us:

Cheddar, honey, and thyme crostini

Mushroom and shallot crostini

Bulgar wheat salad with fresh nectarines and goat cheese

Fresh pesto:

Dinner was amazing…I love nights like this!

We sat outside talking and drinking wine for hours…before we knew it, it was almost 10:00!  We also fit in a game of Balderdash (Mary Margaret’s favorite):

Playing Balderdash with creative writers is dangerous…there were some interesting answers given. 🙂

We finally rolled into bed around 12:45…it was a long day (and night!), but SO fun! I love seeing old friends!

Today, we’re hanging out with the family…hopefully I’ll be able to get a post in!

Hope you’re having a great Friday!

1. August 20, 2010 4:15 pm

That bulgar salad looks amazing. I want some like now. And I agree about $100 for yoga pants. Not for me.

2. August 20, 2010 4:17 pm

Oohh I am SO jealous of that raw meal! I went to a raw restaurant in Chicago, and it blew my mind – incredible!!! Yours looks so fab 🙂 I’m glad you’re having fun!

3. August 20, 2010 4:25 pm

i wish i was eating my way through seattle with you…everything looks SOOOOOOOOOOOOO good!

4. August 20, 2010 5:17 pm

You are so pretty! Those pics of you are gorgeous. Looks like you are having a WONDERFUL time!

5. August 20, 2010 5:20 pm

That restaurant looks like a little gem. It reminds me that I want to cook things from Thrive, the book

6. August 20, 2010 5:47 pm

I love all the yummy raw food you have been eating. Your photos make me jealous though! 🙂

7. August 20, 2010 6:05 pm

Sounds like a wonderful time so far. Good for you on the restraint. I know my hubby is always proud when I can restrain myself during a shopping trip. I hear you on being overwhelmed with that kind of menu. That’s how I felt in Philly at the Vegetarian Snack Bar. I seriously couldn’t think any longer. Those crostini look fantastic.

8. Ginger permalink
    August 20, 2010 9:33 pm

What fun! I’m so glad you got to see Mary Margaret – Looks like a great trip!!

9. August 20, 2010 10:26 pm

Your pictures all look awesome!! What kind of camera do you use? (Email me please! fitnfreshblog@gmail.com)

I’m glad you are having a good time in Seattle, I’ve always wanted to go. It looks like such an amazing city. Keep having fun babe!

10. August 21, 2010 1:02 am

I love how easy going Ryan is with all your challenges. What a catch.

11. actorsdiet permalink
    August 21, 2010 1:26 am

i’ve always wanted to go to seattle – looks like you have beautiful sunny weather!

12. August 21, 2010 12:09 pm

Your trip sounds like so much fun. I love Balderdash! I want to come play with you guys.

13. greensandjeans permalink
    August 21, 2010 6:06 pm

You are so cute!!!

14. Kristi permalink
    August 21, 2010 6:06 pm

You and MM have such stylish golf shoes. I’m sure it added to your impressive golf scores! LOL. Glad the weather is so nice!

15. August 21, 2010 11:45 pm

Really, I don’t even know where to start! The food looks incredible! Love the raw goodies! So glad you are having fun. Looks like such a great vacation!

16. August 22, 2010 2:56 pm

I’ve never been to Seattle but it’s on our travel list.

I like what I can see of your jacket in the first photos … I want to see the whole thing!

17. August 22, 2010 6:19 pm

this post is off the chain!
    love all the raw food…but raw vegans just eat “bird food”, right…LOL! I wish they could all see this post!

and the shot, anyone who’s ever done a jager bomb or tequilla shot has nothing to fear with raw juices and such 🙂 great picture of you!

18. August 22, 2010 6:53 pm

Oh my goodness, that Thrive meal looks fantastic! I always love raw/vegan restaurants because there are so many flavors and ingredients to choose from. Nothing is “typical” there! Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip!!

19. August 22, 2010 7:35 pm

$100 for yoga pants?! Do they do the yoga for you? LOL! I cannot restrain myself in Whole Foods, I love that store!! Your Thrive meal looked absolutely amazing and so did the meal your friend cooked for you.

Jen

20. thehungryscholar permalink
    August 23, 2010 3:11 am

Your hair looks good.

I love nights full of wine and talking. Glad you had a good time.

21. Mary Margaret permalink
    August 23, 2010 4:43 am

Wooohoo! It was such a blast. You neglected to include the employee’s comment at the beginning of our golf game… 😉 It was such a pleasure to cook with all of you and have you in town. And I definitely need to check out Thrive! And yes, my cheeks still hurt from smiling…so fun!

Love you and miss you!

MM

22. August 23, 2010 1:38 pm

Wow- the food from that restaurant looked so unique, healthy, and delicious. Mmmm. Also, I LOVE playing balderdash!! 🙂

23. August 26, 2010 10:32 pm

So I haven’t been reading blogs for the past week or so because I just moved to Seattle! Literally right down the street from Thrive and I’ve been dying to try it. I’ve walked past it a few times already on my trips to Whole Foods. So, I’m so glad to see that you liked it! I also live right near Green Lake Park, and it’s awesome 🙂 Something else random.. I went to Penn State Altoona my freshman year!

• August 27, 2010 1:04 pm

You should definitely try it!! It was awesome!

So funny that you went ot Penn State Altoona!

Trackbacks

1. Easy Black Bean Hummus « Newlywed, Newly Veg!
  2. Pomegranate Corn Salad « On Anna's Plate