Adventures in Dehydrating

August 9, 2010

Evening, everyone! I hope your weekend is wrapping up nicely! We took the dogs on a lovely hike this afternoon:

Isn’t that a great view?  This is Chimney Rocks Park, which is only about fifteen minutes from our house!

Lunch was really simple, and really raw:

Avocado halve, filled with a red pepper spread (1/2 a red bell pepper + three tablespoons of raw sunflower seeds + nutritional yeast).  Does it get simpler?

I know this looks like a really small lunch, but one thing I’m learning about raw foods is that really small amounts of food can still be really satisfying and filling because of the high (healthy) fat content.  This kept me full until dinner, seriously.  Well, this, and one of my rocking (rawking?  Okay, I’m sorry– I’ll stop) macaroons:

Isn’t it cute? It reminds me of a snowball!

I made a double-batch of raw macaroons last night, just to test out the ol’ dehydrator a little more.  I’m still tweaking the recipe, but basically I combined two cups of unsweetened coconut with agave nectar for the base, and then split it into two batches—basic macaroon, and chocolate chip macaroon.

For the basic batch, I added a teaspoon of almond extract and a teaspoon of coconut butter, and then shaped the macaroon “dough” into balls.  So easy!

For the chocolate chip macaroons, I added a tablespoon of raw cocoa powder, purchased on our farm tour:

Thank you, triangle organics!

For the “chips,” I stirred in some cocoa nibs:

Have you ever had cocoa nibs?  They’re pieces of cacao beans that have been roasted and hulled. They’re really crunchy and pretty bitter on their own, but mixed in with something else (like a sweet cookie!), I really like them.

The macaroons went into the dehydrator for about five hours, and came out perfectly “cookie-like”!

But–I think these would be plenty tasty without any cooking at all, ha! You could also bake them off in an oven.

Tonight, I gave the dehydrator some veggie love and tried my hand at sweet brussels sprouts “chips” (brussels sprouts mixed with salt + pepper and agave), and curry cinnamon parsnip “chips” (parsnips, mixed with (you guess it) curry, cinnamon, and agave).  Here are the before pictures:

I’ll take the after shots when I take them out!

That’s it on the food front, kids.  But on a non-food related issue, can I get a HELLS YES for Bachelor Pad starting tomorrow?!?  Oh my gosh, I’m a little embarrassed by how excited I am about this show.

Actually, that’s a lie—I’m not embarrassed at all.  I will watch Tenley, Gia, and Craig M. in all their glory, and I will love every second of it.  I’m just sad that Matt Grant isn’t going to be on this one…he was my favorite Bachelor, hands down.  I guess I’ll just have to wait for this:

Ummmmm….yes.

Okay, goodnight, boys and girls! Bonne nuit!

1. August 9, 2010 2:43 am

mmmmmmmmm you are on quite the roll with the raw foods!!! i love the avocado photo…and i guess i never realized that it’s key to eat more healthy fats than normal when eating raw. makes sense though!

2. August 9, 2010 2:59 am

those cookies look really good…I have to get those carob nibs

3. August 9, 2010 3:39 am

The avocado you had for lunch looks delicious! I totally agree that raw foods fill you up really fast. And the macaroon is too cute!

4. August 9, 2010 10:41 am

I love macaroons! Yum!

5. August 9, 2010 10:43 am

I’m LOVING your raw challenges! And those banana chips, I swear, will rock. Does anything smell better in the house than dehydrating banana? Nope.

6. August 9, 2010 12:08 pm

I told myself I wasn’t going to watch Bachelor Pad…but I just know I won’t be able to fight the urge… 🙂

Also, I LOVE that avocado. I’m going to have to try my hand at that one.

7. August 9, 2010 12:11 pm

I was scared for a bit by picture #2. Before I realized it was Ryan and not some Nittany Yeti.

• August 9, 2010 12:15 pm

Are you getting excited to braid his beard while you’re here? He might let you put some little beads in it, like Brad Pitt’s.

8. August 9, 2010 12:11 pm

You are totally inspiring me to bust out my dehydrator today. I must, I must, I must!

9. August 9, 2010 12:16 pm

Those macaroons look absolutely heavenly…I don’t have a dehydrator, so if I do make them, it’ll have to be totally raw! Not complaining 🙂

10. August 9, 2010 12:30 pm

Can’t wait to hear how the chips come out. Love the red bell pepper filling idea… yum.

11. Ginger permalink
    August 9, 2010 12:47 pm

I am anxious to hear how the chips do. And those macaroons look really good. This challenge has been the most interesting yet, and I’m thinking I might try a few more of these recipes. It sounds like it has made a real difference in how you feel!

12. August 9, 2010 12:52 pm

The hike looks beautiful as does the avocado.
    I wish I could go raw, but it’s way too much work for me 😉

13. August 9, 2010 1:12 pm

love the avocado meal and macaroons! im interested to see how your parsnips turn out–i think they’d be a bit odd raw. The brussel sprouts, however, excite me!

14. August 9, 2010 1:41 pm

duuuuude, you are SUPER creative.

15. highonhealthy permalink
    August 9, 2010 1:48 pm

Those macaroons look so good! And cute. I’ve had cacao nibs before and while started off not sure about whether I liked them or not, by the end of the bag I was in love. They’re very addicting. 🙂

16. August 9, 2010 2:03 pm

yumm…i love macaroons!! they look delish!

17. greensandjeans permalink
    August 9, 2010 2:30 pm

Yes!!! Bachelor Pad!!!! Such a train wreck, but I mean that in the absolute best way

18. patti permalink
    August 9, 2010 3:04 pm

I really enjoyed your last post about the farmers tour. You live in such a beautiful, fertile area with so many fresh farm products. This hike also shows the beauty of central P.A. You have produced some interesting and tasty looking recipes for the raw challenge that really open up the possibilities for eating raw!

19. louisianagrown permalink
    August 9, 2010 3:12 pm

I’m loving your raw food challenge – even your corny cracks! 😉

20. August 9, 2010 3:28 pm

Oh goodness, those look SO good!

21. thehungryscholar permalink
    August 9, 2010 5:44 pm

I thought I read that you’d take (alcohol) shots after taking them out of the oven. I was like woah drinker, but shots during baking/cooking sounds a good idea.

22. August 9, 2010 5:51 pm

Your macaroons look perfect! I made some today that aren’t raw, but are vegan and simple.

23. August 9, 2010 5:56 pm

Normally not a raw food kind of person, but those macaroons look delicious!

24. August 9, 2010 6:25 pm

Mmmm that avacado looks so delicious. I have never done much research about raw eating but I like the eating that these healthy fats are satisfying. I have a big appetite so things that keep me full are a good game plan for me.

25. August 10, 2010 5:31 pm

Wow, everything looks delicious – doesn’t help that I’m hungry for lunch already. 🙂 But the macaroons look especially amazing and I have a yen to make my own now.