Rawsome Delivery

August 6, 2010

I think one of the things I like best about Rawgust is all of the fun puns, ha.

This morning, I worked and wrote right up until around noon.  After our lazy morning, the dogs were looking like they needed a walk in the worst way:

Is that a guilt trip, or what?

We took them out for a nice walk around the neighborhood, and then came back to the house for lunch.

Lunch was eeeeeeasy:

In an Ezekiel wrap, I enjoyed the last of our sunflower hummus (I’m no longer calling it a cheeze sauce—it really does taste like hummus!), along with pineapple and cherries.

I have to admit, there is a lot of excitement going around the blog world this week, what with Blogher and the Healthy Living Summit, neither of which I am attending.  I was feeling a little bummed to not be participating in all of the fun…but then, a special delivery came to my door!

My dehydrator!!!!! Wheeeeee!!! I am SO pumped to start experimenting with this bad boy! My spirits were immediately lifted! 🙂

I wanted to get started right away, and I knew exactly which recipe I wanted to try first.  I’ve had my eye on Averie’s nooch-covered kale chips for WEEKS, but never found the time to make them. You don’t have to have a dehydrator to make them—you can just use a low-set oven—still, this seemed like the perfect way to ‘deflower’ my dehydrator.  Yes, I deflower my appliances…what?

You can see Averie’s original recipe here.  We actually didn’t have a few key ingredients (like red peppers), so I improvised and changed things up a bit.  Here’s my recipe:

Cheesy Kale Chips

“Cheeze” Sauce:

1 cup raw cashews

1 tsp. onion salt

1 tbsp. lemon juice

2-3 sundried tomatoes (dehydrated, not oil or water-packed)

3/4 cup to 1 cup water (you can add more or less, depending on how thin you want the sauce to be)

Directions:

In a blender or food processor, combine the cashews, salt, juice, and tomatoes.  Blend well for about a minute.  Slowly add the water, blending for another minute or two until the sauce is smooth.  You might have to step every thirty seconds or so to stir at the bottom of the blender to ensure that the ingredients are all mixing.

Sauce:

Now THIS, I will call a cheeze sauce.  It is so tangy, cheesy, and delicious! I’ll definitely be making it again! It would be great tossed with pasta, over quinoa and veggies…heck, I was just eating it with my spatula! It’s just that good.

Somehow, I managed to save enough for my kale chips.  For the chips, take a big bunch of kale and pull the leaves from the stems, tearing them into small, bite-sized pieces:

Wash and dry the kale pieces, and then cover with the cheeze sauce, using your hands to massage the sauce into the kale pieces.  You could just do this with a spoon I suppose, but why not get a little dirty, right?

Next time I’ll try to remember to take off my wedding band.  Whoops.

If you’re using a dehydrator, place the kale chips on your dehydrator sheets:

and dehydrate until chips are done.  You can also use an oven, but the cooking time will be much, much sooner!

Ours are still cooking away…I’ll be sure to post pics when they’re done!

I’m so excited about this dehydrator—I’m already looking up new recipes to try out!

I have a feeling this is only the beginning… 🙂

Hope you’re having a great Friday!

1. August 6, 2010 7:23 pm

oh wow, i really want to get one now! and don’t feel alone on the not going to blogher or hls…i’m not either, and it’s easy to feel left out! we gotta stick together 🙂

2. August 6, 2010 8:03 pm

Is that an Australian cattle dog I see?! And did you say plural – dogs? My favorite dog I ever had was Baby – a blue Australian dog!! Aww she was such a loyal playful dog! The dog you have is it a red one? That just made my day! They are pretty rare to see – well for me that is!

• August 7, 2010 12:39 am

Yep, that’s my blue heeler Ella!! I love, love, love her! I had no experience with the breed before I got her (she was a rescue dog), but now I’m so hooked on them! Such smart, energetic dogs!

3. August 6, 2010 8:20 pm

That cheeze sauce looks/sounds great. I could go for some right about now as a matter of fact 😉

4. August 6, 2010 8:20 pm

Awesome appliance!(did I really just say that?)
    I’ve been wanting a dehydrator for months now. Whatever you whip up just might convince me to shift.

5. August 6, 2010 8:42 pm

That IS rawsome!! 😉 I love all your puns, you’re too cute!

Also, can I just say you have beautiful skin?!!!! Must be all that healthy food you put in your body!! Gorgeous!! 🙂

• August 7, 2010 12:40 am

Oh my gosh, thank you– but I SO do not! One of my ex-boyfriends told me once that I have large pores. He was a jerk, but sadly, he was correct. 🙂

6. August 6, 2010 8:57 pm

loove the dog pictures!

7. greensandjeans permalink
    August 6, 2010 9:33 pm

Oh man, I’ve been jealous of all of Averie’s dehydrated treats and now I’ll have yours to be jealous of too!!

8. August 6, 2010 11:30 pm

Oh, I want one! YUM…kale chips! Delicious!

9. August 7, 2010 12:13 am

Ahh I would not have the patience to wait for those to dehydrate!

• August 7, 2010 12:41 am

I definitely ate a few purely raw. Just couldn’t help it 🙂

10. highonhealthy permalink
    August 7, 2010 1:02 am

A know you have another post that you just posted but I had to comment on this one because you are looking AMAZING!

11. August 7, 2010 10:33 am

I’m jealous of your food dehydrator! I’m always trying to find a reason to buy one. It doesn’t seem as fun to make the stuff in the oven. Enjoy your kale chips!

12. August 7, 2010 1:46 pm

YUM! I’m so jealous of your dehydrator. I made A’s kale chips in the oven once and they just didn’t turn out right.

13. August 7, 2010 11:03 pm

Thanks for the linky love…and yes, sundried tomatoes could totally substitute for red pepper. A very easy and perfect swap and I am soo glad you decided to make these! Now to comment on your next post about the verdict 🙂

And yes the cheezy sauce, on the recipe you linked of mine, there are actually 12 recipes all in that post for nooch sauces and if you like that sauce, make the spicy doritos one! You can even skip the hemp seeds, just use cashews and it’s so freakin good girl if i do say so LOL

14. August 8, 2010 2:05 am

yummm!
    your blog looks great, come checkk out mine as well 🙂
    jenna