Water Dog

August 5, 2010

Goooood evening!

This afternoon, we worked for a few more hours and then headed out to Canoe Creek State Park, which is about a fifteen minute drive from our house.

Now that Ella’s become such a water dog, we’ve discovered that it’s a great way to wear her out without being too hard on her joints.  We bought her a water dummy—I swear, I think she could go duck hunting with my dad, the next time we’re down in Shreveport!

I got a little more camera practice during her workout:

And then we took both dogs on a short hike.  Baxter’s more of a land dog, himself!

Leashed dogs are welcome…whoops:

These dogs refuse to be leashed.

Beautiful trail, beautiful afternoon!

I’d thrown together dinner before we left, so it was ready and waiting for us when we got home!  One thing I’m learning about eating raw is that a lot of dishes, like soups, salads, and spreads, can be made ahead of time, which is nice!

For dinner tonight, we enjoyed:

Tropical Asian Slaw

Ingredients:

One head of Savoy cabbage, thinly sliced

1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced

1 mango, cubed

1/2 small red onion, chopped

Dressing:

1 lime, juiced

1 tbsp. toasted sesame oil

1 tbsp. agave nectar

salt and pepper to taste

Almonds to garnish

Directions:

Mix all ingredients for slaw.  In a separate bowl, mix dressing ingredients with a whisk, and pour over slaw.  With your hands, toss the slaw in the marinade for about five minutes, making sure that it’s sufficiently covered.  Cover and refrigerate for at least two hours. Before serving, top with slivered almonds.

Yum!  Not completely raw, what with the dressing and the almonds (ours were toasted).  Still, completely delicious!

tropical asian slaw

Tropical Asian Slaw

Tropical Asian Slaw

We just got the second DVD of True Blood, and have one more episode to watch.  I love it that they’re hanging out at a vampire club in SHEVEPORT! Ha!  Of course Shreveport is where all of the trashy vampires go to do their bad deeds.  Sigh.  There’s no place like home, right? 🙂

G’night!

1. August 5, 2010 12:43 am

I was about to say…Hey, Shreveport! That’s the town in Sookie Stackhouse. So funny that it really is. Well, that there is a town the book town is based off of.

Love your photos. They look really great.

2. August 5, 2010 1:18 am

Your dogs are so energetic! I believe mine sleeps more than he’s awake. That’s what happens when they get old.
    All this raw cooking makes me want a spiralizer and to whip up crazy nut sauces. I think I just might have to…

3. August 5, 2010 1:31 am

Ella looks like she really appreciated the water on a hot, humid day like today!

4. August 5, 2010 1:55 am

I love the dog pictures! I needed those smiiles!

5. greensandjeans permalink
    August 5, 2010 2:07 am

What a fantastic afternoon! True Blood is so addictive. I feel like I should read the books

6. August 5, 2010 2:15 am

Aww True Blood! I always think of you when they mention Shreveport!
    I’m definitely making that slaw ASAP!

7. August 5, 2010 2:30 am

Looks a lot like the mango slaw I threw together tonight for lunch tomorrow. See you guys at the Knick!

8. patti permalink
    August 5, 2010 3:11 am

Seeing you all enjoying Canoe Creek Park brings back memories or our visit last week – great fun. Looks like a good slaw recipe.

9. August 5, 2010 6:11 am

loved your comment to me today so much!!! that we will look back at gay marriage and feel like the generation before us was bout interracial marriage, segregation, etc.

SO TRUE!

You go girl, repeat your sauces and eats from dinner to lunch. You are turning into a raw foodie already..repeating meals 🙂 I am the biggest repeater EVER!!!

xo

10. August 5, 2010 6:26 am

What happens in the bayou, stays in the bayou!

11. August 5, 2010 11:49 am

That salad looks so light and refreshing! I’m sold!

12. August 5, 2010 11:52 am

Are you enjoying the first season? Who do you think did it? I was totally wrong in my guess!

13. Ginger permalink
    August 5, 2010 12:06 pm

I need to give True Blood another try! I had a hard time getting into it. That slaw looks delicious!

14. August 5, 2010 12:36 pm

My pup loooves the water, especially on these warm, summer days! She actually went on a canoe ride with me and my husband a couple weeks ago (I thought maybe that was where your post was headed) — it was pretty hilarious. You should give it a try!

15. August 5, 2010 12:44 pm

That salad looks fantastic. After being away from my kitchen, anything fresh like that is just calling my name – not that everything I ate was bad mind you.

16. August 5, 2010 1:34 pm

Beautiful dinner!!! I love make ahead meals too 🙂

17. August 5, 2010 2:04 pm

Love the pup pics!!! And that slaw looks delicious!

18. August 5, 2010 2:12 pm

What a beautiful dog! Ahh share some of that salad.

19. August 5, 2010 2:21 pm

I just found your blog. The food looks amazing, and I like the fact that you’re incorporating some raw recipes. I’ll definitely be back. Thank you!

20. August 5, 2010 3:43 pm

First of all, your dog is gorgeous! So cute! And I loveee Canoe Creek. I miss it!

But! I am coming home today! I was wondering if you’d be interested in going for a run with me later this evening, at Mansion Park maybe? Shoot me an e-mail: fitnfreshblog@gmail.com

21. actorsdiet permalink
    August 5, 2010 10:22 pm

i wish julius liked the water. he is petrified!

22. August 5, 2010 11:16 pm

That looks like a great park for your dog to run and burn off some energy! I am new to your blog and that salad looks really yummy I will have to make it for my family.

23. August 6, 2010 3:18 pm

Wow! Your dogs look like they had a lovely time! That salad looks fantastic. I had something similar at Whole Foods. I need to make this to have it again!