Will Run For Chocolate

August 3, 2010

Hey guys!  This morning, after a few hours of work, I headed out on a run.  But—this wasn’t just any run. It was the first run of my…

half marathon training!

Woo hoo!

Yep—I’m gonna run another one! I ran my first half-marathon last November, actually RIGHT after I started this blog! In fact, my race recap was one of my very first posts.  It’s always funny to look at old posts and see how the blog has changed, even from month to month.

Well, my parents, Katherine, and Sophie are coming up to visit us in October.  We were trying to think of a fun weekend trip that we could take, and decided that Hershey, PA fit the bill perfectly—a spa, outlet malls, and CHOCOLATE!! What’s not to love?

Then, looking online, I realized that a half marathon is scheduled for the very same weekend we’ll be there! Katherine and I have been wanting to run a half together, and we were talking about running the same half I did last year in November, but I thought this looked like too much fun to pass up—they have a chocolate aid station at the last mile!

It’s pretty close—October 3rd—which gives us nine weeks to train.  That’ll be cutting it a little close, but I think we’ll be okay.  We’ve both been running for years.  Plus, we’ve both agreed to just do it for fun—the goal is finishing, not sprinting!

Anywho, I’m excited about it! I’ll be posting updates about it, I’m sure!

So, today, Ryan and I ran on the Lower trail for 3 miles.  I’ve been working out at the gym so much, and it’s always a little strange getting back into the swing of running outside.  It was a good run, though!

When we got back, I reached wayyyyyyyy back into the back of my fridge and pulled out:

Kombucha gold! Ryan told me that instead of drinking this, I needed to try to sell it on e-bay. 🙂

Lunch was easy and raw:

Salad with romaine, spinach, pea sprouts (!), crunchy sprouts, grape tomatoes, and raw sunflower seeds.  Topped with this new dressing that I picked up at Wegman’s:

I liked the dressing! Nice and neutral.

Well, I just watched the After the Final Rose special, and I have to admit Ali and Roberto are pretty cute together.  I hope it lasts.  Or at least, I hope if they breakup, they don’t do a breakup special on live television.  Those are just awkward.

See you tonight!

1. August 3, 2010 5:37 pm

Yaay congrats on deciding to do anothe half mary! Awesome 😀
    Fab lunch too!

2. August 3, 2010 5:47 pm

sweet! it’s so fun that you’re doing it with another person too 🙂

3. August 3, 2010 5:56 pm

Hooray for half marathons! My high school used to take us to Hershey park every year for our school trip, love it there!

4. Emily permalink
    August 3, 2010 6:06 pm

you may already have a training schedule but i’ve had really good luck with hal higdon’s programs. he has a 12 wk 1/2 marathon schedule but the first few weeks are only 3-4 milers so you should be fine! good luck 🙂

5. louisianagrown permalink
    August 3, 2010 6:17 pm

I’ve been to Hershey and it was a pretty great time. A half marathon there sounds even better! Good luck with your training. 🙂

6. August 3, 2010 6:26 pm

Congrats! I’ve been meaning on signing up for another race, too. But I want just the right one.

7. Betsy permalink
    August 3, 2010 6:40 pm

omg kombucha!! so jealous! i miss it so much – but it’s definitely slightly slightly alcoholic, i get a kombucha buzz from drinking it.

8. August 3, 2010 7:29 pm

woo hoo! I ran my half-marathon by myself, but it would have been so much more fun with a friend!

9. thehungryscholar permalink
    August 3, 2010 7:58 pm

I turned the channel too many times during the finale of the Bachelorette. I got so bored, which is rare. I can sit though complete crap. Anyway, I hope they make it too.

I asked Lars if he would do a half-marathon with me, but then I realized the distance. I’m so lazy.

10. August 3, 2010 8:03 pm

That’s so exciting!! I can’t wait to read about your training!

11. August 3, 2010 8:04 pm

Congratulations on the new goal!! So nice that you aren’t at it alone, too.
    -> That salad is going to be the inspiration of today’s dinner.

Ditto the breakup special – I cringed my way through Vienna and Jake, omg. ugh. hahaha

Love the blog! ❤

12. August 3, 2010 8:34 pm

YAY that’s amazing! Good luck training! 🙂

13. August 3, 2010 10:07 pm

Oooh another half marathon! You’re a star!! Good luck!!

14. highonhealthy permalink
    August 3, 2010 10:17 pm

You’re going to do another half-marathon? That’s awesome! I still need to run my first RACE, nevermind a HALF. I know I’m more than ready for a 5 or 10k but I keep putting it off.

15. August 3, 2010 10:47 pm

Awesome on running the half marathon…it sounds fun and perfect for you guys!! Now I am going to go read the race recap from the first one!!

16. August 3, 2010 11:12 pm

Awesome, we’ll both be running a half on October 3rd. 🙂

17. August 3, 2010 11:14 pm

congrats on kicking off your training!

18. August 4, 2010 12:55 am

That’s awesome. Do they give you chocolate at the end? I bet that they do!

• August 4, 2010 1:19 pm

Yep!! They have a big chocolate aid station at the last mile, ha!

19. greensandjeans permalink
    August 4, 2010 4:44 am

Ah! I love that you’ll be running a half on the same day I’m running my first full! So exciting!

20. August 4, 2010 5:14 pm

wonderful photos!!

21. August 4, 2010 5:26 pm

If I wasn’t going to be in Germany on October 3, I would totally train and race with you. I love Hershey! P.S. Both our husbands ran this week? Hooray!

• August 4, 2010 5:46 pm

Rats! We need to find a PA race that we can do together!

I’m secretly going to try to get Ryan to train for this with me, ha!

When the date gets closer, we definitely want to ask y’all about restaurants and things to do in Hershey!

22. August 6, 2010 6:28 pm

Yay for half marathon training! I would love to end a race with a chocolate aid station. 🙂