Slimca-don’t

August 2, 2010

Hi friends! Happy Monday to you!

I wish I could say this Monday was off to a good start, but the truth is, I just choked down a lunch that was pretty awful.

Ryan and I returned home from the gym to make a quick lunch.  I decided to go semi-raw with an avocado wrap on a sprouted grain tortilla.

Enter the slimcado.

If you’re wondering what a slimcado is, allow me to enlighten you.

This:

…is a slimcado.  They hail from Florida, rather than California, and have 50% less fat and 35% fewer calories than a regular Hass avocado.

Never trust an avocado with a “lite” sticker on it.

Though the slimcado looked innocent enough before consumption:

…it tasted awful!  Really bitter and grassy, with a texture that was way to firm.  Because this slimcado was expensive, I tried to salvage it for my lunch by blending it with some salsa and topping it with some of my favorite crunchy sprouts:

But it was still pretty hard to swallow.  Literally.

Ugh.  Have you ever tried the slimcado?  If you have, what was your experience?  If you haven’t…DON’T!!!!! For the love of GOD, don’t do it!!!!

Here’s hoping dinner is better.  🙂

1. August 2, 2010 5:42 pm

gross! i don’t think i could do anything that said slimcado on it…blech! especially not after reading this!

• August 2, 2010 5:43 pm

Seriously. Stay away from the slimcado. 🙂

2. August 2, 2010 5:43 pm

I tried the slimcado for the first and LAST time last summer. Totally agree… it is disgusting.

3. August 2, 2010 5:49 pm

I got my fill of these avocados while living in Florida, pretty disappointing compared to CA Haas avocados. They were easy to grow and cheap, but not easy to tell when ripe and no where near as good. I don’t miss them. 🙂

4. August 2, 2010 6:03 pm

Ew, a low fat avocado? That’s like low fat buttery spread. It’s just wrong.

5. August 2, 2010 6:05 pm

I generally avoid anything with a “lite” sticker. It’s usually not worth whatever they did to it to make it that way, OR it tastes terrible. No thank you.

Sorry your lunch was disappointing. That’s no fun at all.

6. August 2, 2010 6:09 pm

It’s funny that these are being marketed as “slimcados” since basically they are just another type of Florida avocado. I have two avocado trees in my backyard which produce delicious fruit, but it is quite different from the California variety. Please don’t think all FL avocados are gross, I promise you there are some really good varieties. 🙂

7. August 2, 2010 6:15 pm

I hate choking down something just because I don’t want to throw it away. I would have done the same thing! I don’t like avocados so I don’t think I will venture to try this either. I hope your day gets better!

8. August 2, 2010 6:16 pm

Never heard of a slimcado before. Now I know not to ever eat one 😉

Thanks for the heads up!

9. Ali permalink
    August 2, 2010 6:16 pm

Hmm, I live in Florida and didn’t even know about the Slimcado… I just always buy Haas. Thanks for the heads up! I will stay away!!!

10. August 2, 2010 6:57 pm

I have never heard of a Slimcado… but just the idea of it scares me. I like avocados… the full fat version… I wonder what’s next…

11. August 2, 2010 7:02 pm

Oh no sorry it was so bad. Seriously hate it when things like that happen

12. August 2, 2010 7:17 pm

Ohh wow I had never even heard of that.. good to know it tastes weird!

13. August 2, 2010 8:51 pm

OMG girl I have wondered about these for months! I am so glad I never bought one. Not worth it!

14. August 2, 2010 10:32 pm

Oh this thing is so weird. How can they tell what is the calories fat content of a fruit? As a dietician who has worked in food industry, I m telling you this is impossible!

15. August 2, 2010 10:34 pm

I’ve seen those in the grocery store, but never tried them. Good to know that I should stay away.

16. Emily permalink
    August 2, 2010 10:55 pm

There are some fats that are just worth it, I think, and this seems like one of them! Watch a slimCado farmer send you a crate to make you change your mind!

• August 2, 2010 10:56 pm

Lol, I thought about that. I don’t want to piss off any slimcado farmers! Luckily I don’t think this blog has quite gotten that much “on the map”…yet. 🙂

17. August 2, 2010 10:58 pm

jeeez, sounds intense. i tried one of those suckers back in the day but don’t remember them tasting that bad. i remember them being quite large and never getting soft– haha, sounds like the perfect penis. hah

18. August 2, 2010 11:37 pm

I actually have and they are awful. They ruin the good name of avocados 😦

19. actorsdiet permalink
    August 3, 2010 5:52 am

have never heard of a slimcado. will not be trying it!

20. Jenny permalink
    August 3, 2010 1:02 pm

I grew up on slimcados and love them. You have to be sure they are ripe!!!! Based on how you said they tasted, the avocado may not have been ripe. Slimcados can be hard to tell if ripe or not. Definitely make sure they are squishable before cutting.

• August 3, 2010 1:03 pm

Thanks for the tips, Jenny! I have one more, so I’ll be sure to let it ripen a lot more before I cut into it!

21. August 3, 2010 1:13 pm

are you sure it was ripe enough?

22. Jenny permalink
    August 3, 2010 5:37 pm

I hope you enjoy. Slimcados are kind of quirky, try not to think of them as a replacement for haas [sic?] avocados. Even I don’t make guacamole with them, but I try to never have a salad without them when they’re in season.