Monday, Monday

August 2, 2010

Now I’ll have you humming the Mamas and the Papas all morning.  Apologies!

Last night, after viewing the Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work documentary in State College (which, by the way, was awesome!!! We both loved it.), we returned home for a raw dinner.

We started with zucchini “noodles”:

Then added a raw pesto:

This pesto was created with basil, spinach, three cloves of garlic (yow!), olive oil, and a bit of water.  The garlic gave it LOTS of zip!

We also added tomatoes (beautiful local heirloom tomatoes, as well as a few cherry tomatoes) and pinenuts:

And called it a meal! Yum!

You know, I thought I’d be hungry going raw, but the truth is, I feel fuller!  I think all of the nuts and healthy fats are really filling.  I had a big salad for lunch with my mushroom/pumpkin seed pate:

…and it kept me full for hours, all the way through dinner!

This morning, as usual, I started my day with some fresh juice:

Back to the normal combo—spinach, romaine, ginger, lemon, and apple.  PLUS, something special—a handful of blueberries! They really gave the juice an added sweetness—yum!

This morning, I’m doing some writing and online work…we have plans to hit the gym at some point.  See you at lunch!

1. August 2, 2010 12:52 pm

I don’t know what I want more, the zucchini pasta or the salad. They both look amazing!

2. August 2, 2010 12:52 pm

beautiful photos! question: do you cook the zucchini noodles? or just eat them raw? i’ve been thinking about trying it but i’m a little scared so i want to make sure i do it right! 🙂

3. August 2, 2010 12:53 pm

This sounds like it would do a body good after a big plate of the gorgonzola penne!!

Our house is a little older than yours. It’s a 1921 arts and crafts bungalow. Once I get a new camera, I’m going to post some room photos to show the wonderful built-ins.

Best,
    Bonnie

4. August 2, 2010 12:57 pm

Those zucchini noodles and pesto look delicious! Very summery!

5. August 2, 2010 1:14 pm

love the raw dish! and the tacos from yesterday. perfect raw monday meal 🙂

6. August 2, 2010 1:30 pm

Zucchini noodles look interesting, I may have to try those out.

7. August 2, 2010 1:33 pm

You make going raw look DELICIOUS!! I especially want those zucchini noodles with pesto… mmmmmmmm!!

8. August 2, 2010 2:01 pm

Your raw food looks great! How long have you been eating raw?

I found your blog through Katie at Healthy Heddleston – I’m actually from Altoona, PA! She said you’re living there now and I just had to track you down haha 🙂

• August 2, 2010 2:09 pm

How funny!!! Where do you live now?

I just started with the raw food– I’m doing it as a month-long challenge for August!

• August 2, 2010 2:17 pm

I’m living near Youngstown in Ohio now! But I’m actually going home (back to Altoona) on Thursday! I miss it so much, all the shopping, state college, the mega sheetz – I can hardly wait!

And that’s an awesome challenge! I’ll be nabbing some of your recipe ideas for sureeee

9. August 2, 2010 2:08 pm

that meal looks so colorful and yummy!

10. JenATX permalink
    August 2, 2010 2:17 pm

my boyfriend & I decided to do an August challenge as well… he decided to give up fast food for a month. Not even the next day when I wanted a sweet tea from McD’s he tried to order a chicken sandwhich as well! this is going to be an interesting month haha

• August 2, 2010 2:20 pm

Haha…the first few days are always the hardest, right? 🙂

11. August 2, 2010 2:31 pm

Saw these and thought of you! Apparently Rhode Island is one of the rarest…I’ll have to keep an eye out for it!

12. thehungryscholar permalink
    August 2, 2010 2:43 pm

1. I like your glasses.
    2. I actually love Joan Rivers a lot. I’ve been looking forward to seeing that. Glad you liked it.

13. August 2, 2010 2:45 pm

Mmm your raw dishes are looking delicious!!! 🙂

14. August 2, 2010 3:58 pm

Did you make the zucchini noodles with the spiralizer??

• August 2, 2010 5:38 pm

Nope, just my julienne peeler! Although you could also use the spiralizer!

15. August 2, 2010 4:13 pm

If someone could make me delicious raw food like yours I might be interested in trying raw food again! It looks amazing!

16. August 2, 2010 4:49 pm

If I ever decide to go raw, I want you to come cook for me! Would that be doable? 😉

17. August 2, 2010 5:23 pm

I love seeing all the raw meals — I would love to start eating more raw foods. That zucchini “pasta” dish looks great and so colorful!

18. August 2, 2010 5:44 pm

Amazing raw dishes, especially the pesto and similar to what I had last night – butternut noodles with tomato pesto and pinenuts. 🙂

19. August 2, 2010 10:33 pm

Hey!

I just stumbled across your blog looking at raw food recipes. I love the idea of zucchini “noodles”!

Going to head into the raw territory myself, so this blog will be a great resource and I look forward to following it!

Torri