Adventures in Raw Eating, Day One

August 1, 2010

Hey guys! Happy Sunday!

Even though August didn’t begin until today, I decided to start my challenge one day early—I guess I was excited to jump right in!

Here are some of my raw eats from yesterday:

For lunch, I spread a pumpkin seed/mushroom pate on romaine leaves:

And topped it with carrots and tomatoes! Yum!

For the pate, I simply blended 2 ounces of these pumpkin seeds:

With about a half cup of chopped mushrooms.  The pumpkin seeds are already salted with Celtic sea salt, so no seasoning was necessary.

Dinner was not quite raw:

Raw purple corn, salsa, avocado, hemp seeds, and carrots on a (not raw, but sprouted!) Ezekial wrap.

I’ve also been enjoying these Averie-inspiried coconut oat chia balls that I whipped up yesterday in the Vitamix:

Recipe for these balls will come soon! I’m still tweakin’ it (twss?).

This morning, I enjoyed fresh juice again: romaine, spinach, ginger, and lemon, as usual, but with orange instead of apple.  I enjoyed it in my Florida glass, which seemed only fitting, given the substitution of orange for apple!

The orange was a nice addition! The juice wasn’t quite as sweet this time, and had a more citrusy flavor.

Hope you have a great Sunday! I’ve already done my writing for the day, so I’m about to take the dogs on a leisurely walk down on the lower trail!

See you when I see you!

1. August 1, 2010 3:03 pm

The juice and those ball things both sound SO good! And purple corn? I’ve never even heard of that!

2. August 1, 2010 3:09 pm

everything looks so colorful and good

3. August 1, 2010 3:13 pm

I am SO impressed!! Looks like you’ve been eating raw for years!!

4. August 1, 2010 5:08 pm

Looks like you’re doing good already!

5. August 1, 2010 5:26 pm

Those coconut balls look good, can’t wait for a recipe.

6. August 1, 2010 6:22 pm

Oh thanks for the BALLS shoutout. Glad to know I am known for my balls…haha! Seriously, looks great!

Love the food you have made…when I started transitioning to more raw, it was all about beautiful food, nut and seed pates, various nut “meats” I created, and really going all out….as the years have gone by, I have to saw, just truly raw veggies and really really simple things comprise my diet. Not that nut meats and pates cant be simple, but I even pare it down to less than that sometimes and just sprinkle the seeds or nuts, not even making pates.

Oh the Go Raw brand…omg that stuff is divine but $$$ I just buy TJs stuff these days. Not perfect, not tech raw sometimes, but it works for us.

Oh I have a recipe for raw vegan taco nut “meat” on my site that if you at all want to recreate the flavor of sloppy joes or a more savory meat w/ a kick (and it doesnt taste like meat) just the vibe…check that one out. I think you will like it alot knowing your palate!

🙂

xoxo

7. August 2, 2010 12:05 am

That wrap looks so healthy and delicious! The pumpkin seed pate sounds awesome as well. Now I’m hungry! 🙂

8. greensandjeans permalink
    August 2, 2010 1:23 am

I’ll be really curious to see how this challenge plays out for you. You are definitely going to be a raw queen at the end!

9. August 2, 2010 3:25 am

Very cool eats, dinner was high-raw 😉 and I enjoy those wraps occasionally too. Love the juices, I don’t use my juicer near as much as I should.

Love the sprouted seeds, but those are a splurge at Whole Foods.

10. Ginger permalink
    August 2, 2010 12:28 pm

Those balls look really good – hurry with the recipe!

11. August 2, 2010 2:00 pm

I’m really behind since I’m away – so the challenge for Aug is raw? Interesting. Can’t wait to see all of your dishes!