Welcome Back, Challenge

July 31, 2010

Hey guys!

Last night, we headed for yoga at 5:30…didn’t get started until about 5:50…listened to the instructor wax and wane about The Poisonwood Bible during class…and finally got home around 7:30 (it’s only supposed to be an hour-long class).  I actually wasn’t that annoyed with all of this during class, but now that I’m writing about it…that’s pretty annoying! Not sure how often I’ll be going back to this class.

We were starving when we got home, so we whipped up a quick dinner:

Zucchini “noodles” with red bell pepper slices, curried tofu, tomatoes, and dates.

Check out my spiralized zucchini—it was all one lonnnnnng strand!

Not too bad for a spontaneous dinner!

Well, the time has come to reveal…my August challenge!!!!!!!

Or, should I say, Raw-gust challenge? 😉

Yep, that’s right…for the month of August, I’m going to take on the world of raw food!

The boundaries I’m setting up for this challenge are a little ambiguous.  First I thought I would try to eat raw until dinner…but then I thought, Well, what if I want a raw dinner too?  Or what if I want a raw dinner, but not a raw lunch?  I didn’t want to feel like a failure if I didn’t eat the first two meals of the day raw.

Basically, after reading some words of wisdom from some of my favorite raw bloggers, like Averie, Gena, and Christine, I’ve decided to just try to eat raw as much as possible.  Some days, this might mean just one meal raw, and some days, all three.

In her post about switching to a raw food diet, Gena writes,

My best advice is to approach vegan and raw foods with a playful, curious, and relaxed approach. Don’t create strict goals for yourself (“I’ll be 100% raw by the end of the month; “I’ll give up all animal products right away”). The transition to a plant based lifestyle can and should take a nice long time; it’s not like signing up for a 21-day fitness program. It’s a journey that moves incrementally, and always according to your comfort zone.

I’ve seen similar advice in raw food books, websites, etc.  Taking on too much is the easiest way to get overwhelmed and give up.  I’m all about eeeeeeasing myself into this challenge.  I hope at some point to start each day with a raw breakfast (most likely a smoothie) which I’ll be posting, plus a raw lunch or dinner.  I’m sure some of my meals will get repetitive—a big salad with a scoop of guacamole, etc.  But—I think I’ll be able to get really creative with this challenge too, if I put in the time and effort!  School doesn’t start for another three weeks, so I think this will be something really fun to put my energy into for a while! Plus, it’s HOT.  Eating raw foods always sounds a lot more appealing to me when the temps are in the mid-eighties.

I’m excited to explore the world of raw “cooking,” and see how my body reacts to these changes!

I always take it as a good sign when I want to start my challenges early—it means I’m excited about them! This morning, even though it’s only July 31, I started my day with some delicious juice, straight from my Breville juicer.

Romaine, spinach, ginger, apple, and lemon.  Yum!

Any thoughts on the raw food movement?  Crazy?  Delicious?  Crazy delicious?  If you’re an experienced raw foodist, any advice for a newbie?

1. July 31, 2010 1:36 pm

Wow, I’ll be really intrigued to follow you on this raw journey. I understand why people eat raw and think it’s a really interesting choice, but it’s honestly never something that has appealed to me. Good luck!

2. July 31, 2010 1:46 pm

I think that is a great challenge. I like that you aren’t being so strict with it. That makes it more fun…in my opinion. Can’t wait to see what you come up with…this is a fun one! Have a great Saturday!

3. July 31, 2010 1:51 pm

I don’t know how I feel about the raw foods movement. I actually went to this raw food seminar once where the woman claimed that eating raw cured all these illnesses which I was skeptical about. The food tasted good though.

4. July 31, 2010 1:54 pm

This sounds like it’s going to be a fun one! Can’t wait to see how it turns out.

5. July 31, 2010 3:01 pm

I could do it for ONE meal a day….but too hard for me otherwise.

6. July 31, 2010 3:02 pm

I think a raw food challenge is exciting! Have fun with it and I’m looking forward to seeing what kinds of creative and yummy dishes you come up with!! 🙂

7. July 31, 2010 3:40 pm

Cool! I can’t wait to hear all your experiences going through it. I love the approcah you are taking to it as well. Will make the whole process more enjoyable.

8. July 31, 2010 3:50 pm

no advice but i can’t wait to read about your experiences and hear the reports. good lucK!

9. July 31, 2010 9:05 pm

Cool idea but is there a specific reason why you’re trying this challenge?

• August 1, 2010 2:14 pm

Nope, just to try it! I’ve been interested in the raw foods movement for a while, so I’m just going to try it out and see how it goes 🙂

10. July 31, 2010 9:56 pm

I applaud you for such a challenging and ambitious August challenge. I think Gena made some really great suggestions. It’s not about making sure you stick to your goal 100%, it’s about realizing what works and what doesn’t, and easing your way into a new lifestyle (perhaps…if you stick to it??). I think it will be fun, as well as difficult. I would like to try this sometime too, just to see how hard it really is! I can’t wait to hear more about how you do!

11. Kim permalink
    July 31, 2010 11:06 pm

Cool challenge – I’ve been looking into raw food also – I just bought Ani Phyo book and some of the recipes look interesting! I think a smoothie at breakfast would be easy and a big salad for lunch – after that I’m at a loss! Looking forward to see what you will be eating!

12. Jane Olsan permalink
    July 31, 2010 11:08 pm

Are beer and wine raw???????? We are going to your parents for dinner…so exdtied!!!!! crawfish, corn and gouda mashed potatoes!!!!! I didn’t know that was you on the Words with Friends..so sorry. Good luck with your challenge.

• August 1, 2010 2:15 pm

Lol…I thought maybe you were just mad because I played such a good word 😀

13. greensandjeans permalink
    August 1, 2010 12:40 am

How cool! I agree with you on the timing, the summer is the perfect time for this challenge!

14. August 1, 2010 12:56 am

I tried to eat raw but honestly it didn’t work for me and my numerous stomach issues. I realize that eating raw solves so many IBS problems but not for me unfortunately!

I wish you loads of luck though, I hope it works out better for you!

15. August 1, 2010 1:28 am

That sounds like a great challenege! If anyone can do it, you can! And I am glad you aren’t setting up strict rules for yourself. I think that is really smart!

16. August 1, 2010 5:04 am

What a fun challenge – I can’t wait to see what kind of neat meals you come up with!

17. Ginger permalink
    August 1, 2010 1:10 pm

This will be a fun challenge – it should be a little more “challenging” than some of the others, I think. I feel like Kim – breakfast should be easy and salads will, also, but after that, it will be tougher. I’ll look forward to your recipes on this one! (Our dinner party was lots of fun!)

18. August 1, 2010 6:17 pm

“Taking on too much is the easiest way to get overwhelmed and give up. I’m all about eeeeeeasing myself into this challenge”—that is SUCH awesome wisdom and you will succeed with that! The letters of emails from readers i get that are soooo stressed about it all, well, they are biting off transforming their whole life in one week, from food to diet to exercise, etc and they freak out, have a breakdown about it all…and then give up. You are so wise to do what you can, take it slow, and just keep it EASY!!!!

🙂

19. August 2, 2010 3:19 am

Fabulous dinner, I’ve never used that blade on my spiralizer but am going to now!

Yay, I’m so excited about this challenge and thanks for the shout out! Hot weather does help, I started in July making the transition easier. Agreed on not being too strict, make the transition fun and enjoyable. I can’t wait to see your recipe creations!