New Friends, Great Food, Home Brews

July 30, 2010

Morning, all! Happy Friday to you!

Last night, Ryan and I drove over to Duncansville, a town about 15 minutes away, to have dinner with Emily and Nick, aka The Culinary Couple.  Emily and I met for lunch (and shopping!) a few weeks ago, but we were meeting Nick for the first time.

We had a great time at dinner! It’s always fun to eat with other bloggers…you don’t feel weird about photographing everything ten times before you eat or drink, ha!  Emily and Nick are all about eating local and organic, so their way of eating fits right in with ours!

In addition to being awesome cooks, they also…home brew!

We had the pleasure of tasting some beer from their first batch of home brews.  Upon our arrival, Nick poured us both some homemade hefeweizen, complete with orange slice:

The verdict?  It was awesome! It seriously tasted like something you’d get at a brew pub! Nick also gave us a tour of their “brewing facilities,” which they’ve set up in their garage.  Now we really want to try some homebrewing ourselves! It looks like so much fun!

Before dinner, we snacked on some homemade red pepper hummus (a family favorite, Nick told us):

And before too long, dinner was ready! Emily prepared a beautiful (and tasty!!) Moroccan orzo dish:

This had orzo, eggplant, golden raisins purple onion, cilantro, and TONS of spices! I could really taste the cinnamon and cumin—it was really flavorful!

Along with the salad, we had stuffed portabella mushrooms:

I’m a huge mushroom lover, and these did not disappoint!  They were really tasty!

For dessert, Emily made a blueberry crumble from The Pioneer Woman:

So, so god!  The top was nice and crispy with sugar…yum!

We stayed and chatted with Emily and Nick until almost 11:00!  It’s so great to find another couple like this in the area…I have a feeling this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship!

Not sure what’s on the agenda for today…writing, online work, and then something fun outside, hopefully!

See you at lunch!

1. July 30, 2010 12:59 pm

A beautiful friendship, indeed! It was so great to visit with you guys last night. Can’t wait to do it again soon!

2. July 30, 2010 1:06 pm

everything looks really good!

3. July 30, 2010 1:28 pm

I love blogger get-togethers! It looks like you had quite a delicious feast. 🙂

4. July 30, 2010 1:52 pm

I want to brew my own beer! Sounds so neat!

5. July 30, 2010 1:58 pm

Yummmmm, everything looks so good!! Especially that blueberry crumble… wow!!!!! Andrew used to brew his own beer all the time. I love the way it makes the house smell!! 🙂

6. greensandjeans permalink
    July 30, 2010 1:58 pm

The science nerd inside me has always wanted to try homebrewing!

7. JenATX permalink
    July 30, 2010 2:23 pm

just visited the culinary couple’s blog.. they look fun! glad yall are meeting new people & having good times 🙂

8. July 30, 2010 2:42 pm

how fun! i don’t think that nate and his friends have made a pub-style beer just yet, but they’re getting there 🙂

9. July 30, 2010 3:19 pm

The dinner looks great! I’ve seen that Pioneer Woman recipe before and it looks AMAZING!

10. July 30, 2010 3:53 pm

Dinner looks so delicious! I have never had dinner with blogger before, but being around a bunch at foodbuzz was en eye opener. So many pictures!

11. July 30, 2010 4:10 pm

Wow, all of that looks amazing! I love that she even made dessert

12. July 30, 2010 4:52 pm

stuffed portabella mushrooms look amazing!! as does that bloob crumble!!! WOW

also so glad to hear your strength training /trainer is pushing you! There is nothing better than thinking you cant do something and then BAM, you do it! Major high feeling not to mention you’re not wasting your precious 45mins or whatever in the gym…you are truly working your ass off…I am all about it girl 🙂

13. July 30, 2010 5:27 pm

I wish someone I knew made homemade beer. I think that is the coolest thing ever.

14. July 30, 2010 5:27 pm

I am sort of in love with the stuffed portabellas! What a fantastic idea, how come I’ve never had one before??

15. July 30, 2010 9:29 pm

There’s a food blogger in Duncansville?! I am so sad I never got to meet them. My hair dresses is in Duncansville.

Trackbacks

1. The Culinary Couple » Vegetarian Dinner: Orzo with Roasted Eggplant and Cinnamon-Cumin Dressing