Plain Truth

July 27, 2010

Any Jodi Picoult fans out there?  I always think about that book when we venture into Amish country!

This morning, we hopped in the car and headed about an hour and a half east, to Belleville Pennsylvania.  Belleville is in Mifflin County, in the middle of the Kishacoquillas Valley…yeah, try to pronounce that one.  Belleville has a large Amish population and a lot of beautiful farmland.  We had a great time exploring the countryside:

We stopped at Peigh’s, a local market that sells homemade Amish goods, plus a lot of local fare like cheeses, meats, and bulk goods.  We thought ahead and brought an ice chest, and I’m glad we did—we really stocked up!

After wrapping up our trip into Amish country, we headed back into town for lunch.  We’ve heard good things about Otto’s, a local brewpub in State College, so we decided to give it a whirl.  I’m glad we did—it was awesome!

Given their motto, it has to be good, right?!

Ryan and I shared an apricot wheat beer:

It was actually really good! I’m not usually a fan of fruit-flavored beer, but the apricot flavor in this one was super subtle.

For lunch, I got the barley and walnut burger:

We all shared some onion “stouties”:

So good!  I also snapped a picture of Ryan’s pizza:

Mmmm…this crust had hops from their brewery baked right in!

After lunch, we walked around the Penn State campus for a while.  There were a lot of orientation groups touring around—it made me so nostalgic for my own college years! I remember at orientation for College of Charleston, I was SO nervous!  I had my best friend with me, but I was still a nervous wreck!  Ahhh, memories! Walking around campus and seeing all of the students also made me realize that summer is winding down…is it really almost time for school to start?  Gulp.

Our walk lead us smack dab into the middle of the State College farmer’s market.  I bought this home-brewed kombucha—it was REALLY good! It was actually decidedly less vinegary than the Synergy ones…it had a really mellow, sweet flavor to it.

For our last stop, we took Ryan’s parents for some famous Penn State Creamery ice cream.  Ryan and I didn’t get any (we can get it any time!), but they both enjoyed a big cone of coffee and butter pecan!

Now we’re relaxing from our long day…I think we’re going to sample some of our goods from the Peight’s for dinner tonight! Should be a good meal.

Hope you’ve had a good day!

1. July 27, 2010 10:58 pm

Looks like you had fun! I LOVE Jodi Picoult and I’ve liked every one of her books except Songs of a Humpback Whale — It was one of her older books and I think before she had her writing style more defined.. ever read that one?

• July 28, 2010 12:44 am

No, I haven’t!! I love her books too 🙂

2. July 27, 2010 11:14 pm

Jodi Picoult is one of my favorites! I’m not usually a big fan of fruity beers either, but I can’t get enough Abita Purple Haze! I’ll be sad when we leave Barksdale in November and I can’t get it anymore 😦

• July 28, 2010 12:43 am

I think you’ll be able to find it– I’ve seen it in several stores in other states! I love Abita beers! Turbo dog is my fave!

3. July 27, 2010 11:37 pm

That burger looks just like beef. It’s amazing what can be done with nuts, grains and veggies!

4. July 27, 2010 11:40 pm

that burger looked divine. i have never been through any Amish country, its so foreign to me, i almost can’t imagine what it would be like to really see. i loved that book and interestingly enough, i did like the movie as well!

5. July 28, 2010 12:29 am

Ahhh the Amish country!! I love their soft pretzels, and the Lancaster outlets 🙂 Those onion fries look so amazing!

6. July 28, 2010 12:53 am

The Creamery!! Best ice cream ever. 🙂

7. July 28, 2010 1:26 am

I wish my farmer’s market sold home brewed kombucha! I miss it 😦

8. July 28, 2010 1:44 am

Do you think I might be a Jodi Picoult fan when I read the title of your post and immediately thought of that book?! 😉

9. greensandjeans permalink
    July 28, 2010 1:45 am

Haha, I love Jodi! Total guilty pleasure reading

10. actorsdiet permalink
    July 28, 2010 2:08 am

that burger looks AMAZING. i get so nostalgic when i’m on college campuses too. i can’t believe i’ve been out of school for over a decade!

11. July 28, 2010 2:32 am

Yes! You know we’re fans of Otto’s. We had a keg of apricot wheat at our wedding. As for Penn State ice cream, next time you have to try Meyer Dairy instead of the Creamery. Nothing like eating a cone of ice cream while mingling with the cows that created it!

12. July 28, 2010 3:27 am

I love Jodi P! True story: I was reading Plain Truth when I visited my ex-bf who was living in Vermont. I kept smelling farms/cows/manure and definitely felt like I was living in Amish country haha.

The barley and walnut burger sounds delightful.

13. July 28, 2010 4:33 am

i dont even like beer and apricot beer sounds awesome!

school starting..omg thank god i am neither a teacher nor student these days!!! yikes, panic attack FOR you!

14. July 28, 2010 5:12 am

It sounds like you had such an amazing dinner! I am really interested in seeing the amish country – oh well maybe on an other trip ;).

Your meal looks so good! The cat on the slogan is freaking adorable.

15. July 28, 2010 9:13 am

The counrtyside looks really pretty.

I don’t think I;ve ever read any of Jodi’s books but I always seem them in the bookshop.

16. July 28, 2010 12:05 pm

You’re always on some kind of delicious adventure! And your burger looked fantastic, too!

17. July 28, 2010 12:57 pm

Okay pink is a FABULOUS color on you!!! 🙂

18. July 28, 2010 12:59 pm

I have never read any of her books. That barley and walnut veg burgers sounds fantastic. Yum.

19. July 28, 2010 2:58 pm

I’ve never been to that part of PA, but looks and sounds so interesting!

20. July 28, 2010 3:29 pm

What a great picture of you Anna! You look so tanned and rested.

I love Jodi Picoult but I have to say that lately her stuff has been less than stellar. I do believe she is following in Danielle Steel’s footsteps!!

21. July 28, 2010 6:10 pm

Looks like a great day! I was just thinking that summer is flying by, too!

22. Ginger permalink
    July 28, 2010 6:30 pm

I love Jodi Picoult books – read Family Rules a few months ago and enjoyed it. I think Plain Truth was my very favorite of hers. Glad y’all had fun with Ryan’s parents. I know they had a ball – the two of you entertain very well!!