Cherries, Eggs, and More Redecorating Fun

July 23, 2010

Hey guys! Hope your Thursday is wrapping up nicely…I can’t believe tomorrow is already the weekend!

My training session with Eric went well…sledgehammers, jumping rope, push-ups, mountain climbers, squats…the usual.  😉

After our trip to the gym, Ryan and I decided to stop at a local consignment shop.  After we repainted the living room, we looked at the shop to see if we could find something to fill this empty corner:

blog 002

…but we came up empty-handed.  There was a really cool old record player there, but it was a bit pricey (and apparently in need of repair!).  We decided to swing by to see if the price had dropped at all.

We went in for the record player, and came out with…

This cool antique shopping cart! Isn’t it neat? I just love stuff like this!  I think we’re going to put a big plant in it!  My question to you is: right now, the shopping cart is metal…do you think we should keep it as such, or spray-paint it white?

When we were first looking at it, I liked the idea of it being white, but now I think I might like the metal! What do you think?

And—that’s not all! In addition to the vintage shopping cart, we found a new couch! We’ve been using this bad boy in our sun room:

Yes, it’s as ugly as it looks.  Actually, it’s uglier.

Ryan and his friend Nick bought it eight years ago at a garage sale for ten dollars.  I keep an off-white slipcover on it right now, but that slipcover is a pain in the behind to take care of!  It’s always getting wrinkled, messed up, etc.  So, we’ve kind of informally been looking for a new couch for a while now.  We found a really pretty one at the shop today—it’s very shabby chic, which I love.  And, the price was definitely right.  I’m really glad we discovered this consignment shop—it has some real gems!

Our couch is supposed to be delivered in the next few days, so I’ll definitely post a picture when it gets here!

When we got home, it was nearing 7:00, and we were HAUNGRY, so we made dinner a quick one.

In a pan, I cooked up a carton of mushrooms in a bit of olive oil, plus some dried basil, dried mushroom, and onion salt.  Once the mushrooms were soft, I added 5 scrambled eggs, fresh parsley, and a big handful of spinach.

Top with more parsley and parmesan, add a few cherries on the side, and call it dinner!

This meal felt kind of French, so I decided to use my Eifel Tower plate…I love this plate!

I think we might take the dogs on a stroll, now that the temps have finally dropped.  Have a great night!

Do you get into decorating?  What style are you drawn to—classic?  Modern?  Vintage?

I’d say I’m definitely a vintage, hodge-podge kind of gal.  I LOVE antique stores, flea markets, and consignment shops.  Our house has a very eclectic mix…but when you throw it all together, it seems to work.  At least, I’d like to think so.  :-)

Oh! And the shopping cart—go white, or stay metal?

1. July 23, 2010 12:48 am

I think I might leave it as is….. I love decorating. we have a historical home (built in 1890) so I feel drawn to antiques. But, we had a townhouse that was sort of Spanish Style, so my decor tastes were more along those lines.

2. July 23, 2010 1:06 am

the plate is very unique, I like it

3. July 23, 2010 1:07 am

I am so bad at decorating. I have no idea what goes with what goes with what…. I need a designer.

4. July 23, 2010 1:14 am

That cart is cool!! I say leave it in it’s original state to maintain the vintageness (is that a word?).

• Jen permalink
      July 23, 2010 3:34 am

i agree w/ the metal!
      My place (by my place I mean my room because I have 2 other roommates which makes decorating the living area difficult) is a mix of traditional style furniture & funky things I find in cool shops. My favorite is a mirror I found from a Mexican antique place & a fun knob for my desk from Anthopologie

• July 23, 2010 12:08 pm

I LOVE Anthropologie knobs!!! Well, I love all of their stuff, really. 🙂

5. July 23, 2010 2:14 am

Metal! Definitely! We love antique shops. We are mid century modern kinda people, but have a complete respect for all types of decorating style. We have a mix here too, but I think that just adds personality! Dinner looks delicious. Love the plate…I want to go back to Paris so badly!

6. July 23, 2010 2:19 am

Keep it metal!

And that meal does look SO French. Simple and delicious!

7. thehungryscholar permalink
    July 23, 2010 2:24 am

Lars and I are modern folks, which is good because I would tell him what is up.

Also, I forgot to tell you this…

When I was thinking of names for my blog my first idea (based on your name) was Newly Single Newly Pringle. It would be a blog about a girl that got dumped and started a junk food binge. I’m not single though, and I hate pringles.

8. July 23, 2010 4:25 am

We are more modern / simple when it comes to decor, I’m not great at decorating though! I love that cart – I would definitely keep it metal!

9. July 23, 2010 4:43 am

I used to be more shabby chic and went thru a Z Gallerie/pottery barn type phase for about 10 yrs…the past few yrs, I scrapped all that and have gone modern. West Elm all the way. Clean contemporay. We are also living in downtown urban spaces. When I had big suburban houses, it was difffernet.

I LOVE consignment shops that get good stuff in…not just someone else’s crap but really good stuff.f..that’s worth it”s weight in gold!

I saw til you get your sofa, i wouldnt paint the cart. See how it looks as is til the sofa’s in!

Glad you liked the Nu Nat. I went from meh to ok to addict in 12 mos time 🙂

10. greensandjeans permalink
    July 23, 2010 5:10 am

Either leave it metal or paint it something entirely different like neon green. I feel like that sentence says a lot about my decorating style…

11. July 23, 2010 10:37 am

definitely keep it the metal color. you can always spray paint it white later… just wait a bit to see how it looks and if you like it.

12. Ginger permalink
    July 23, 2010 11:31 am

How cute! I’d keep it as is at least until you get your new sofa. You know I’m contemporary when it comes to decorating – we’ve been moving more and more that way lately. One more day in Nantucket : (

13. louisianagrown permalink
    July 23, 2010 11:36 am

I really love decorating. When I think about graduating college, the only thing that really excites me is buying my own house to shop for and fill with treasures. My style is definitely eclectic and vintagey, and I can’t wait to see this new sofa of yours! We really don’t have any good consignment or thrip shops down here.

As for the shopping cart… leave it metal!

14. July 23, 2010 12:01 pm

I’m a modern girl who loves to decorate! I’d leave the plant stand as is…I think it’s charming in its original state.

15. July 23, 2010 12:31 pm

I love redecorating! I’m always working to minimize things and bring in more color. Its a lot of work in a small apartment! I love the new shopping cart =)

16. July 23, 2010 12:38 pm

I like it metal….that will make the best plant stand! Awesome!!!

17. July 23, 2010 12:40 pm

I just bought those plates a few weeks ago!! I have a Paris set for me, and a London set for my BF. Both of our favorite cities…I’m such a cheeseball, I know. Nautical themes are my favorite decorating style…not in-your-face, but I love navy and white together, and lots of hardwood! I say keep the cart metal…more authentic that way!

18. July 23, 2010 12:46 pm

I wish I was better at redecorating. Especially since I’m about to embark on a total house redecoration.

19. July 23, 2010 1:11 pm

Keep it metal! It’s so unique I feel like painting it any color would take away from it’s vintage feel. It would totally go with a white scheme as it. Love it!

20. July 23, 2010 2:04 pm

Love the plate! Very cute. I also love the metal cart. Very different and works well with the color of the room.

21. July 23, 2010 3:02 pm

I love decorating! It would be more fun with a limitless budget 🙂 I am into the vintage/modern/comfort look. I would have to show you a picture of our house to get that image across 🙂

~Alyssa

22. July 23, 2010 4:44 pm

Anna, the woodwork in your house looks almost exactly like ours. In the living room and dining room, there is also woodwork at the ceiling–slightly concave(ish). Our living room is similar in color to yours. I’m curious as to what style house you have and the age. Ours is a 1921 bungalow. As soon as I get an SLR camera, I’m going to post photos. I’ve tried to capture it’s charm with my “point and shoot” and have not been able to do well.

The food looks amazing!

Best,
    Bonnie

23. Emo permalink
    July 23, 2010 6:35 pm

I am ashamed to admit that my husband is a better decorator than I am. I also recently realized that while I love coastal living style, it doesn’t work in my house. I also like mid-century, modern style with warmth. Right now my house is a total, bland, hodgepodge of hand-me-downs and stuff from our single lives.
    You could also paint the cart an entirely unexpected color — like teal or lime green. See what plant you get and go from there!

24. thehungryscholar permalink
    July 25, 2010 1:01 am

I like the metal, but I’m all modern and shit. I trust you though, because those orange walls rock.