Rawsome

July 20, 2010

Hey guys! Well, we’re back in good ol’ Altoona.  Sigh.  We had a long discussion this morning on the way to the gym about the possibility of moving to Nantucket.  I think we were only 50% kidding.  It’s just so hard to come back to normal life after two weeks of beach walks, hikes, and relaxation!

But, like it or not, we’re back—so there’s no use complaining about it! We got home around 10:30 last night, unloaded the car, and CRASHED.  We were exhausted!

This morning, I got to work on getting back to normal—laundry, online class work, etc.  Around 11:00, we headed to the gym—it was kind of rough! We were pretty active in Nantucket—biking, running, hiking, etc.  But I guess all of the great meals we enjoyed balanced it out, because my pants are definitely a little tight, and I was huffing and puffing during my workout! I made a training appointment with Eric for Thursday, so I’m sure he’s going to really put me through the wringer!

After the gym, we went to the grocery store and stocked up on necessities.  When we finally got home for lunch, it was going on 1:45, and we were starving!

I was really excited to try out a new tool that I picked up at TJ Maxx before our trip—a julienne slicer! April from The Enchanted Kitchen showed me hers, and I knew I wanted one!

It turned a big zucchini and a carrot into this:

…in about 2 minutes flat! It’s the perfect accompaniment to my spiralizer!

I used the big pile of zucchini and carrot to build an awesome (rawsome!) salad:

Zucchini, carrot, tomatoes, hummus, avocado, pumpkin seeds, dehydrated sweet peas, and green goddess organic dressing.  Yum!

For dessert, I was excited to try…the new chocolate chip cookie dough Lara bar!!!!!

Woo hoo! I whooped out loud in the grocery store when I saw that they had these.

The taste was awesome—if you like Lara bars, you’ll like these.  However, if you have the time, I would always recommend trying out one of Averie’s awesome bar and ball recipes over a store-bought Lara bar.  Her recipes just can’t be beat—they definitely put any commercial bar to shame.

Well, as if it weren’t depressing enough just having to come home, it’s been RAINING off and on all day. Boo!

Guess I’ll go read my book and pretend that I’m still on the beach…hope you’re having a good day!

Any tips for beating the post-vacation blues?

1. July 20, 2010 7:01 pm

go on another vacation! 🙂

2. July 20, 2010 7:02 pm

That salad looks crunchy and delicious! 🙂

3. July 20, 2010 7:03 pm

HAHA, I second what Heather said!

4. July 20, 2010 7:09 pm

I want one! That would make life easier for some of the things I cook!

5. July 20, 2010 7:13 pm

Vacation hangovers are the worst. Once you get back into a routine real life doesn’t seem so rough.

6. July 20, 2010 7:30 pm

I’m still fighting the vacation blues, and I’ve been home for over a week. Now that you’re back, we should plan to get together!

• July 20, 2010 8:45 pm

Yes, definitely! I want to hear all about your trip!

7. July 20, 2010 7:34 pm

I made a similar raw zucchini/carrot salad this weekend!

8. July 20, 2010 7:39 pm

Those new larabars sound awesome. I wish I could find them! The carrot cake would be my favorite.

9. July 20, 2010 7:41 pm

I love the cookie dough bar! Just tried it yesterday!

10. July 20, 2010 7:45 pm

I think that I’m in some sort of PRE-vacation blues ;). I can’t wait to go on holiday in less than two weeks.
    That salad looks sooo good! I really need a julienne slicer too.

11. July 20, 2010 7:49 pm

Plan the next one!

12. July 20, 2010 7:56 pm

Oh I hate the post-vacation blues!!!! Totally sucks. Jason and I always have major discussions about relocating after a beach trip too.

13. July 20, 2010 8:04 pm

I liked the cookie dough one but thought the peanut butter chocolate chip was too dry. I have the brownie one in my house but haven’t tried it yet.

14. July 20, 2010 8:29 pm

Oh my gosh I want to try the new Larabar flavors so badly!!!! I can’t take it!!!

15. Emo permalink
    July 20, 2010 8:33 pm

Jon and I had a similar conversation on the way home from Charleston this spring… if it weren’t for that pesky bar exam and finding 2 jobs, I think we’d do it!
    Getting back into the routine helps me get over the vacation hang-over. And slow, depressing time. But, it sounds like we have another Purdue wedding adventure to look forward to planning!

• July 20, 2010 8:46 pm

I know, so exciting!!!

Plus Key West. And Vegas. 🙂

16. July 20, 2010 9:39 pm

That is such a neat kitchen gadget!

I hate getting back into the swing of things too. I just give myself a few days and eventually things work back to normal.

17. July 20, 2010 9:50 pm

I’m sad to say I felt post vacation blues coming from my Altoona trip back to Florida. Pretty pathetic huh? When Altoona becomes a vacation spot, you know something is wrong in your life haha

18. July 20, 2010 9:51 pm

Hey pretty one…glad you made it home safe! I think you and Ryan need to take an adventure to Texas! haha! Austin is a great city and dog friendly! 🙂

19. July 20, 2010 10:52 pm

That’s one of the best salads I’ve seen in blogland in a looooong time! Yum. And it’s just so beautifully presented. Me likes. Post-vacation blues? Hmmmm, I would say try to have a routine, but also relax if something falls outside the routine. And don’t feel like just because you’re not on vacay you can’t do fun stuff — you can! Go to a cool park in the evenings or get a pedicure Friday or buy a new book!

20. July 20, 2010 11:55 pm

What an awesome find! TJMaxx is the bomb!

21. July 21, 2010 12:17 am

I always have mixed feelings about the end of a vacation. I love being home and getting back into my routine, but I miss being carefree! SO JEALOUS that you found the cookie dough Lara, by the way. I still haven’t seen them anywhere!

22. actorsdiet permalink
    July 21, 2010 3:40 am

i wanna try that flavor! haven’t had any of the new larabars yet….

i did a post a little while back about transitioning after a lot of excitement (mine was being done with a film shoot)

it’s hard to shake the post-vacation blues but time will definitely help!