Last Day? Le Sigh.

July 18, 2010

Well friends, our time on Nantucket is coming to a close.  Today is our last full day on the island…tomorrow, we’ll catch the ferry back to Hyannis and start the long drive home to Pennsylvania.

Don’t you just hate the end of a great vacation?  I wish we could stay here forever.  😦

Anyway…no need to waste our last day moping around! I think we’re hitting the beach for our last day here…I can’t think of a better way to spend it!

Rewinding to yesterday though…it was a great day!

We started out on our walk through the nature preserve around 10:30, and hiked for a good hour and a half.  It was really pretty! Here are some highlights:

Ella and Baxter road shotgun with Honey and Scooter (yes, those are my parents’ “grandparent” names…don’t ask):

The dogs are great navigators…they got us right to the nature preserve with no trouble!

The hike was dry and HOT:

Can you spot Ella?

We were happy when the hike took us to a pond…the dogs needed to cool off!

Some dogs were more excited about the water than others.

Ella went for full-body immersion:

But Baxter opted to just cool his paws:

Ella is quite the water dog, despite being bred to herd cattle in the Australian outback.

Amazingly, her antics didn’t seem to bother this flock of geese that floated our way at all:

I think they mainly just thought she was a goof.  Which she kind of is:

What a nut.

I think they were happy when we left:

Towards the end of the hike, we found something really cool: tent caterpillars!  Tent caterpillars build big silk cocoons, or “tents,” in their host trees:

How beautiful!

Around noon, we finally got back to our car—it was a good hike!  On our way home, we stopped at a local take-out place to pick up some sandwiches for lunch:

Mmmmm…the ‘Sconset! Tomatoes, mozzarella, avocado and pesto on a buttery sandwich roll!

After lunch, my mom and I headed into town for a little shopping.  This time, I had more luck, picking up a few shirts, a ring, and some trip souvenirs!

When we got back, it was nearly five o’clock—where did the day go?  We were all pretty wiped out, so it seemed like a good night to stay in for dinner…grilling it was!  While my parents went to the store to pick up some food to throw on the grill, Ryan and I took the dogs out for one of our final beach walks (sigh):

No sign of the seal we saw earlier in the trip, but it was a good walk all the same!

When we got back, it was cocktail hour! We busted out the ol’ backgammon board and enjoyed some of the brews that we bought at the Cisco Brewery the day before:

Nice shirt, babe!

My mom beat me, but only because she had a good luck charm sitting in her lap:

For dinner, my dad grilled tofu and veggies for me, and tenderloin for the meat-eaters:

Plus homemade panzanella (stale French bread, chopped tomatoes, basil, olive oil, minced fresh garlic, balsamic, and salt + pepper):

Just because you have bread in your salad doesn’t mean you shouldn’t have it on the side, too:

Bread salad with a side of bread.  That’s how we roll.

And finally, banana pudding was enjoyed while playing a few rounds of hearts:

Whew! If you’re still with me at this point, I hope you have a great Sunday!

See you on the flip side!

1. July 18, 2010 1:35 pm

I have always wanted to go to Nantucket after reading a book that was set there… sigh … it looks idyllic! And love the grilled veggies – yum!

2. July 18, 2010 1:37 pm

Aww last days are no fun- it such a beautiful place, I would hate to leave!! Looks like you had a fantastic trip though! 🙂

3. July 18, 2010 1:43 pm

What an incredible vacation you had!! I hate it when vacations come to an end… so sad. That banana pudding looks sooooooo good! It’s been way too long since I’ve had some!

4. July 18, 2010 1:54 pm

Aww what a great time!! I would be so sad to leave!!

5. greensandjeans permalink
    July 18, 2010 2:02 pm

You have had such a great trip! I’ve loved looking at the pictures!

6. July 18, 2010 2:03 pm

Your vacation has been so fun to watch! Very relaxing, indeed

7. July 18, 2010 2:38 pm

not so sure about that tent cocoon thing. creepy. i love how your family is so close–looks like they’ve passed along some wonderful values to you.

8. July 18, 2010 3:06 pm

Awww, I hate it when vacations end too. Sounds like you guys had the perfect trip though. Hope you have a safe trip home!

9. July 18, 2010 4:47 pm

What a great place to vacation!

10. July 18, 2010 5:23 pm

Wow, just gorgeous pics and what an amazing vacation! I hear ya on being bummed to end such a fun trip, but it’ll probably be nice to get back to into a groove at home and plan your next vacation. 🙂

11. July 18, 2010 5:23 pm

what an incredible trip!!! I love how you guys are always traveling and living life to the fullest…you inspire me to unplug more, live more, blog less 🙂

12. July 18, 2010 5:38 pm

Coming back from vacation is so hard! I feel your pain Anna.

I can’t wait to visit Nantucket one of these days!

13. July 18, 2010 6:44 pm

I can’t believe it is over….sheesh time flies!!! I am so glad you had fun and I felt like I had fun with yo due to all your amazing photos!!! 🙂 Happy Sunday Anna!

14. Stacey permalink
    July 18, 2010 7:05 pm

Yeah, the last day of vacation always sucks but it looks like you had a good one – now it’s back to reality!

15. July 18, 2010 7:45 pm

I know what you mean about the end of vacation. I was literally on the verge of tears when we left Hawaii.

When you grill the tofu, do you marinate it or anything? I want to try that.

• July 18, 2010 10:02 pm

I just press it, rub it with olive oil, and season it (I usually use Cajun seasoning). When I bake it, sometimes I marinate it, but not when I grill… I’m sure it would be good though!

Sent from my iPhone

16. July 18, 2010 11:33 pm

What a great day! I would really like some of that salad and the banana pudding! Perfect ending to a vacation!

17. July 18, 2010 11:37 pm

How fun!! And those meals look delicious, especially that sandwich!

18. July 19, 2010 4:53 am

Wow, those caterpillar photos are amazing! Love the fun puppy photos as well. Looks like you had a great vacation with amazing weather!

19. pinterest.com permalink
    July 1, 2016 8:06 am

They do not market their business: Most MLM business owners hope that just because they have started a business
    and made a few phone calls, the business will come pouring
    in. Before we get into just what exactly those two emotions are, let us first examine the
    nature of people. Cosmetic products are considered anything that is used to enhance our face and body.