Sister, Sister

July 15, 2010

Talk about a two-way twister!

Happy birthday to my sister, the Tia to my Tamara, the Charlotte Bronte to my Emily, the Jessica to my Elizabeth, the Ashley to my Mary-Kate, the Jamie Lynn to my Britney.

Actually, I don’t think either of us is Jamie Lynn.  Or Britney.

weddinghoneymoon 223

weddinghoneymoon 222

Well, actually…maybe she has a bit of Britney in her after all.

Happy birthday, Katherine! LYLAS! :-)

So, after all of the build up to the Yappy Hour yesterday, around 4:45, the heavens opened up and it began to POUR!!! Sadly, we realized that an outdoor yappy hour in the pouring rain was probably not going to happen.

With heavy hearts, we put earmuffs on Ella:

…and made the decision to stay home.

We drowned our sorrow with some wine and card-playing, and then headed out for dinner at the nearby Millie’s.  Because everything was already going wrong, I of course forgot my camera, and therefore have no pictures of my salad, or the 105,608 chips and guacamole that I enjoyed.  Rest assured it was delicious.

This morning, the rain had stopped but it was still COLD and gray! No wonder they call Nantucket the Gray Bitch Lady.  It was pretty gross out, but we were itching for some physical activity, so we hopped on our bikes and had a great ten mile ride.  We discovered a fun new beach about five miles from our house, so I think we’ll be heading back there in the next few days!

Ryan and I are in charge of dinner tonight, so after our bike ride, we headed to the g.store to pick up some essentials.  Upon our arrival back home, I threw together a quick tofurkey sandwich:

Tofurkey, lettuce, tomato, cheddar cheese, mayo, and mustard on wheat.

I think tofurkey is one of those things that most people (even vegetarians) think is gross, but I strangely love it.  I don’t eat it very often, because it’s so processed…but mmmmmmmm, do I enjoy it when I do!

I followed it up with some Fig Newmans:

Fig Newtons/Newmans are kind of a running joke in our family.  My mom insists that we had plenty of junk food in the house growing up, but my sister and I always bitch about how the closest we ever got to “junk food” was Fig Newtons.  All of the other kids in school would pull out Oreos and Chips Ahoys from their lunch sacks, but for us, it was a great day if we found a sad little Fig Newton at the bottom of our bag (underneath the health-nut sandwich and fruit).

However, I must say, I thoroughly enjoy Fig Newtons (and Newmans) nowadays, so I’m not sure what we were really complaining about!

This afternoon, we are headed to…THE SPA!! I’m so excited!  Obviously more relaxation is what I need in my life right now.  🙂 But in all honesty, it will feel great to get a massage and a facial (I haven’t had a facial in about 10 years (seriously), so I’m a little nervous about this part).

See you tonight for a fun dinner (and special dessert!).

Speaking of Tofurkey, what food do you love that other people think is gross?

1. July 15, 2010 6:38 pm

i love love LOVE ramen noodles. LOVE them!

• July 15, 2010 6:42 pm

Ha! Me too!!! Especially the spice pack clumps!

2. July 15, 2010 6:41 pm

Oooh a trip to the spa, how fun! I’m not really an adventurous eater, but I eat a lot of turkey products sausage/bacon/burgers etc that some people in my fam won’t touch.

3. July 15, 2010 6:57 pm

Happy birthday to your sister!
    Hmm…I lvoe dry cereal – everyone in my family thinks it’s weird! And raw vegetables (inclu onion) – again, people think that’s weird where I am! And I think my smoothies weird my family out too, but they’re quite narrow minded with food 😛

• July 15, 2010 9:04 pm

I love raw onion too!! And garlic too, lol!

Sent from my iPhone

4. July 15, 2010 7:05 pm

Happy birthday to your sister! I love all of your pop culture sister references (Sweet Valley!)
    So, my husband’s father is Iraqi, and I really like a lot of the foods. I love pickled mangoes, which pretty much every else (except my FIL) things is beyond disgusting!

5. July 15, 2010 7:12 pm

You and your sister look so much alike! Happy B-day to her. 🙂 I love Tofuky too, it is so good on sandwiches.

6. July 15, 2010 7:48 pm

Happy Birthday to your sister!! You are both so pretty!! 🙂 So jealous of your spa day… have fun!!!!!! 🙂

7. July 15, 2010 7:54 pm

Aww Happy Birthday! You can definitely tell yall are sisters!! I’m trying to think of a crazy food I like and no one does.. I mean I LOVE mushrooms and basically all my in-laws hate them?? That’s all I got so far!

8. July 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Happy Bday to sis! Pretty pics, how fun.

For food – sauerkraut, yum!

9. actorsdiet permalink
    July 15, 2010 8:52 pm

you and your sister are gorgeous! i’ve always wanted one.

10. July 15, 2010 9:39 pm

Happy birthday to your sister!
    I think tofu is the grossest thing i eat, by normal standards. I would say plain greek yogurt but I can’t even down that half the time without sweetener.

11. July 15, 2010 9:44 pm

I love tofu. That is probably the thing that most people find revolting about me 🙂 Or my black bean brownies…those are pretty detested as well (until they try them) 🙂

~Alyssa

12. July 15, 2010 9:47 pm

Happy Birthday Sister!!! 🙂 Haha my husband thinks almost everything I eat is grosss. 😉

13. July 15, 2010 10:36 pm

Oh no yappy hour??? How sad. Sounds like you still had fun though – never fear right??!! Oh there are all sorts of things I eat the most people turn their noses up at – until they try it.

14. July 15, 2010 10:41 pm

Happy birthday to your sister! You both are so beautiful!

I love putting salt on my cantaloupe, which has gotten me some odd stares from some people…

15. highonhealthy permalink
    July 15, 2010 10:47 pm

I definitely love a lot of things that people think are gross but then again, I think that the majority of health/food bloggers eat things that non bloggers find disgusting. One of my friends is NOT impressed with some of the things I eat.. haha 😀 I’ve never tried Tofurky but.. not gunna lie.. I want to.

Happy Birthday to your sister!!

16. July 15, 2010 11:17 pm

pickled ginger straight __ the pinkish colored ginger you get with sush 😉 LOVE it. always ask for a side of it… hey? its good for digestion right!?

17. July 15, 2010 11:50 pm

Happy birthday to your sis!

I LOVE Tofurky! Everyone else seems to think it’s weird. I could it it all day long, though, lol. It’s so tasty!

Jenn

18. July 16, 2010 12:11 am

You and your sister are gorgeous!!!

Unfortunately I’m not a fan of tofurky… I just can’t get into it..

19. thehungryscholar permalink
    July 16, 2010 12:32 am

I like asparagus, which isn’t weird. My family thinks it is weird.

20. July 16, 2010 12:36 am

Happy birthday to your sister!

I don’t eat it anymore, but I like imitation crab chunks.

21. July 16, 2010 12:49 am

I loved fig newtons as a child. LOVED. I think I ate too many and that’s why it literally makes me sick to see the packaging now lol.

Happy bday to your sis! Aren’t sisters the best?

“A sister is a friend who listens with her heart”

22. July 16, 2010 12:52 am

Happy Birthday to your sister! Sorry about the rain. Hopefully things will get sunnier soon! I like hemp protein powder…that grosses people out.

23. July 16, 2010 12:55 am

Does bacon count? Alot of people hate it!

24. greensandjeans permalink
    July 16, 2010 2:38 am

Fig Newmans are the besttttt. That was the only “junky” thing I ever got in my lunch box too! I eat lemons whole, which gets weird looks for people

25. July 16, 2010 5:47 am

gorgeous pics of you girls!

i love raw brock, raw cauli, and can even do raw brussles, most people think that’s nuts 🙂

26. July 16, 2010 11:48 am

Happy Birthday Sista!

I might be abnormally obsessed with protein powder….just ask my trainer who insists I only eat 1 scoop per day (ya, right!)

27. July 16, 2010 12:51 pm

I haven’t ever had Tofukery but I do love me some Fig Newtons….

28. Katherine permalink
    July 16, 2010 1:41 pm

Hey, I’m proud to have a little Britney in me 😉 Thanks for the bday post! Love you!

29. Carina permalink
    July 16, 2010 5:29 pm

I have been a vegetarian since May 2001 and I still remember being so excited to try tofurkey at Thanksgiving that year. I was sad to discover that I hated it. I think I’ve tried it once since then, about 3 years ago, and I still don’t like it. But I love tofu and all kinds of meat substitutes, just not tofurkey. But since they keep selling it, some people must like it!

30. Emma permalink
    July 16, 2010 8:34 pm

MMMmm I like tofurky too, but I also try not to eat it too much. Hmm I also love tofu, plain greek yogurt with nothing added, lots of stuff that my non health bloggers think it bizarre.