Secret Garden

July 14, 2010

Gooooood morning! It is a gray, gray day here in Nantucket, but honestly, that’s fine with me! Sometimes a little break from the sun is a good thing!  Ryan and my mom got up at 6:45 this morning to attend a yoga class on the beach.  I believe my exact words when Ryan asked me if I wanted to join them were “Yogahuh? Ima sleep.  Sleepy.  Lemme sleep. Eff off.”

So, now they’re out on the beach communing with nature and getting in touch with their zen-ness, and I’m lounging in bed, drinking coffee and reading blogs.  Everyone is doing what they want to do, which is the beauty of vacation.

Last night, we had dinner at a French restaurant in Sconset called The Chanticleer.  (That’s “cock” to you, as my mom was only too happy to point out.)

To celebrate the fact that some of us actually showered after a day of smelling especially nasty (16 mile bike rides will do that to you), we took some pictures before we headed out:

So fresh and so clean.

The restaurant was beautiful—it’s in an old cottage, and is completely covered with flowering vines and ivy.  Even though the temps had dropped and it was a bit cold outside, we chose to dine in the courtyard garden, and I’m glad we did! It was like eating in a secret garden!

Our meal was superb.  Here are some (BLURRY) highlights from various dishes we sampled:

One complaint—my pictures!!! They’re so blurry!  I guess I don’t have to deal with blurry pictures that much on the blog because we rarely eat out when we’re at home, but lately it’s been bugging the heck out of me.

Photographers, I’m begging you to tell me—how do you take decent pictures in a low-lighting, public setting?  Any tips?

I see the sun peaking through—time to get some quick work done for my online courses (yes, I’ve been working while we’re here.  That’s one of the best parts about teaching online—you can do it anywhere!), and then have some fun!

1. July 14, 2010 12:02 pm

I think the food still loks lovely 🙂 What camera do you have? My last camera just didn’t do low lighting..! My new one has settings for low light though 🙂

2. July 14, 2010 12:04 pm

The food still looks absolutely delicious – yum!

3. July 14, 2010 12:33 pm

You look a lot like your mom. I am sure you get that a lot! haha!

4. July 14, 2010 1:15 pm

That is why I love vacation – everyone can do what they want!

5. July 14, 2010 1:21 pm

What a great time! I wish I had picture tips for you… I always have to adjust my camera’s settings for low-light pics.

6. July 14, 2010 1:22 pm

Get a 50mm lens! It’ll let you do lower f stops with faster shutter speed so you can take better pictures in low lighting! I got my lens for $99! (50mm/1.8 not 1.4, that’ll be way more expensive). Totally worth it!

We have a bar called the Chanticleer here in Ithaca… it’s far less classy than that!

7. July 14, 2010 1:46 pm

I’m sure we’ve all said this to you before, but you look JUST like your mom

8. July 14, 2010 1:55 pm

My photos are sometimes blurry in those situations, too, when I use a slow shutter speed in low light. Usually I rest my elbows on the table so the camera is perfectly still — this is a cheap alternative to Karla’s lens recommendation. I just found your blog and your photos are always beautiful!

• July 14, 2010 2:40 pm

Thank you! And welcome!

• July 14, 2010 7:53 pm

Ditto! That was exactly what I was going to suggest–I do the same thing when I’m out and want to take a skyline picture at night, for instance, so find something to rest my elbows on to keep it still. Also, I find that if I hold my breath while I take the photo it helps keep the camera still (ha!)
      -Lisa

9. July 14, 2010 2:16 pm

That place looks so cute! I always make sure my elbows are resting on the table or against my sides. It helps.

10. July 14, 2010 2:27 pm

I think lounging in be is perfect zen-ness! Hope you have another fantastic day in paradise.

11. July 14, 2010 2:46 pm

There’s a “low light” setting on my camera… sometimes it’s still a little shadowy and blurry, but it’s better than nothing! Also occasionally a quick flash + macro setting does the job… just try not to take a lot at the time and bother the other diners!

12. highonhealthy permalink
    July 14, 2010 3:09 pm

I love the picture of you and Ryan!

The Chanticleer looks absolutely gorgeous. I have no tips for low lighting as I struggle with the same issue. It’s highly annoying.

13. July 14, 2010 3:51 pm

Double check you’re still on automatic focus, rather than manual. (Sometimes the button slips.) I’m embarrassed to admit I let a few days pass before I figured out this was the reason my photos were turning out blurry!

Otherwise, I second an investment in a 50mm lens — it’s ideal for closeup food photography. Or, try to increase the speed and exposure and decrease the shutter speed.

14. thehungryscholar permalink
    July 14, 2010 4:43 pm

You two look cute. I have no advice on the pictures, sorry. But, I am glad you asked. I am similar issues.

15. July 14, 2010 4:50 pm

Cute pics! And the food still looks great even if blurred. 🙂

16. greensandjeans permalink
    July 14, 2010 5:52 pm

Love the cardigan!

17. July 14, 2010 6:44 pm

I have this problem too since I have low light in my apartment. It’s tricky

18. July 14, 2010 7:21 pm

oh i love nantucket–but haven’t been in years! I have the same problem… that’s why i avoid using cameras in restaurants.

19. July 14, 2010 7:40 pm

What a fantastic looking restaurant! I love it when houses are covered in ivy!
    Dinner looks great. I always have a problem with blurry pictures too though :(.

20. July 14, 2010 8:19 pm

Do you have an SLR camera? IF you get a lens that opens to f1.8, that’ll help. Or you can up the ISO to a higher setting and that will let in more light.

21. actorsdiet permalink
    July 15, 2010 5:47 am

though i’m no photography expert, i concur with everyone who said hold very still!!!

22. July 16, 2010 7:40 pm

your sweater is super cute!