Hiking in the Heat

July 7, 2010

Hey guys! This morning, the girls of the house (plus Baxter) had a little viewing date in the back bedroom:

Yes, despite being surrounded by the natural beauty of Nantucket, we still found ourselves needing to watch Jake and Vienna’s Break-up Extravaganza via hulu.

Jake Pavelka, Vienna Girardi

Sophie, can you say “fame whore”?

After becoming properly disgusted with both ourselves and the lovely ex-couple, we headed out to a nature preserve pretty close to our house.  The preserve is a nesting site for turtles and ospreys, and has a three mile trail that ends at the beach.  Six miles didn’t sound that tough at the house, but once we got started, it felt longer and longer the more we hiked (and the hotter it got).  The trail was really pretty, but it had absolutely NO shade, so we were sweating up a storm!

Poor Sophie was all covered up in order to avoid a sunburn:

I promise she’s under there.  My mom and Katherine actually headed back at the halfway point, while me, my dad, Ryan, and Kevin pressed on, finally reaching the ocean:

Beautiful!

Osprey nest:

After hiking the three miles back and arriving back at the house, we were starvin’ marvin! I quickly made a lunch plate with leftover tofu, a nectarine, chips, salsa, and avocado.  Yum!

And now it’s nap time, fo sho.  I need to rest up–  we’re supposed to be playing a game…but game night in our family has never NOT ended in tears and/or broken dishes.  Someone inevitably ends up storming out the room, usually while shooting the other players the bird at the same time, whatever the game may be.  That’s normal, right?

Is your family competitive?  My dad, my sister and I all are, but my poor mom isn’t, so she’s usually pretty horrified by our behavior. I think Kevin and Ryan are too, now that they’ve joined the family.

1. July 7, 2010 6:09 pm

we are SO COMPETITIVE it’s not even funny! even my hubby is pretty horrified sometimes…i can be pretty mean. oops 🙂

2. July 7, 2010 6:10 pm

I am SO competitive – I don’t know about the rest of the family though! I think it’s just me :p
    What a lovely day you’ve had – hiking, sun, avocado, trash tv…I love it!

3. July 7, 2010 6:10 pm

Totally normal, haha 🙂 My family’s monopoly set has obscenities written all over the box – it’s pretty funny.

Enjoy your nap. Sounds like you’re having an awesome time!

4. thehungryscholar permalink
    July 7, 2010 6:26 pm

I watched that Jake and Vienna thing. They both acted like children, but I appreciated the entertainment. And Vienna, I care about your dog.

5. July 7, 2010 7:08 pm

Aww I love the name Sophie! Super cutie! Looks like a fun day! ps. Vienna was way too emotional over that creep!

6. abbynormally permalink
    July 7, 2010 7:15 pm

Hahah I laughed out loud at “can you say ‘fame whore'”!!!

I am SO competitive with my family–I only have brothers! I’m competitive with my husband too, we can’t play games unless we’re on the same team! And if we’re losing, we fight! It’s awful, I know. So we just don’t play too many games!

• July 7, 2010 8:07 pm

Yes, I get SO mad at my husband if we’re on the same team and we’re losing…LOL. You just can’t win, really (unless, of course, you always win).

7. July 7, 2010 7:20 pm

Wow, it looks gorgeous there! Not sure I would have been able to hike for 6 miles in the heat though so well done.

8. July 7, 2010 7:35 pm

My family is definitely competitive….to a fault!!!

9. July 7, 2010 7:57 pm

I am such a game person but unfortunately, my husband and I are like Abby on this one–we have to be on the same team so we can win together.. instead of having my husband get mad at me for winning 🙂

10. July 7, 2010 8:12 pm

We really aren’t competitive…don’t know why. I guess it’s a good thing…LOL!

11. July 7, 2010 8:13 pm

We are not competitive. We sit in a circle every night and sing kumbaya while watching I Love Lucy and adopting puppies

12. July 7, 2010 8:24 pm

My family definitely is not competitive….that would require spending time together, haha. For some reason, you’ve really got me craving chips and avocado with this post! Glad you’re enjoying Nantucket!

13. July 7, 2010 8:25 pm

i wouldnt say my family in competitive. i think there’s pressure to do good things with your life, but not in a competitive light.

great pics!

14. July 7, 2010 8:27 pm

Lovely pictures (as usual). My family really isn’t terribly competitive.

15. July 7, 2010 9:43 pm

More amazing pictures, very nice! Yeah, that sounds pretty normal for game night. 😛 My family is not that competitive I think because there’s no battle of the sexes with only daughters. 🙂

16. July 7, 2010 10:32 pm

What a great time you’re having! All these posts are really making me want to go there 🙂 My sister and I are very competitive, but she’s a cheater so we always get frustrated and quit playing with her. I hate losing, but I won’t cheat! My mom is also really competitive but she’s gracious about it; I’m not! Haha 🙂

17. July 7, 2010 10:37 pm

Oh, we are so, so competitive. But do you know who’s the worst? Stefan. He has multiple degrees in trash-talking. I know what we’ll be doing when we make it down to Altoona!

18. July 7, 2010 10:47 pm

I am competitive. I don’t know if the rest of my family is. I guess that means that they aren’t!

19. highonhealthy permalink
    July 7, 2010 11:34 pm

Woman! You are so TAN! I would look like a ghost compared to you. 😛

I love Sophie pictures! She’s too cute.

20. July 8, 2010 1:28 am

Sophie’s hat is SOOO cute!!!

I watched the Bachelorette the other night and saw Jake and Vienna’s interview — uggggggggh. I am such a sucker for the drama though!!

It’s funny you talk about competition with board games and families. Mark’s family and Yahzee is SERIOUS business and we’re visiting at the end of this month. I know it’ll end in tears! Hhaah!

21. July 8, 2010 1:51 am

Oh man I can’t imagine walking 6 miles in the sun like that! Kudos to you guys!

My dad and I are pretty competitive, but my mom and bro are relaxed…until money is involved! 😉

22. greensandjeans permalink
    July 8, 2010 4:26 am

My dad and I are both really competitive and my mom and brother always think we are crazy. I only made it about 5 minutes into the Jake and Vienna saga until I had to turn it off and I am the queen of terrible television.

• July 8, 2010 11:43 am

The only thing I’ve ever had to stop watching because it was just too awful was Britney and K-fed’s show, Chaotic. I have an unusually high tolerance for bad tv.

23. July 8, 2010 7:28 am

omg it’s sooo pretty!! the scenery and the candid family shots…lovely, Anna!

competitive is my middle name! but i can also turn it off and be yoga and zen like too 🙂

24. July 8, 2010 11:55 am

I had to turn off the bachelor drama, couldn’t take it!!!
    I love the scenery pictures, it looks gorgeous where you are!!

Jen

25. July 8, 2010 1:00 pm

Oh my gosh! I was mad at myself too for watching the Bachelorette! The drama is killing my braincells. 😉

p.s. good luck with that game of yours! I’m rooting for you!