Fins to the left, Fins to the right…

June 30, 2010

And you’re the only bait in town!

Gulp.

Hi friends! Thanks for chiming in on that last post—I’m glad to know I’m not the only one who’s found it harder to make friends in young adulthood.  For a while, I thought I might just have really bad body odor or something.  :-)

Sorry for the lack of posting last night—we went over to our friends’ Lee and Steve’s house for pizza, and we were having so much fun that I completely forgot to pull out the camera and snap some shots of dinner.  The pizza was really tasty—I had a few slices of a vegetarian “white” pizza with cheese, broccoli, and fresh tomato.  Yum! Lee and Steve are both our friends AND our neighbors…but not for long.  In August, they’re moving to a new house about fifteen minutes away. :-(  I know it’s not far, but we really like having them just down the street from us! Seeing the “For Sale” sign in front of their house was kind of sad last night! Oh well…maybe another fun couple will move in!

This morning, we spent a few hours packing—we’re leaving for our beach vacation tomorrow! Tomorrow morning, we’re leaving early, early, early to drive to Boston.  We’ll be in Boston until Saturday, and then Saturday evening we’re taking a ferry from Hyannis to Nantucket, where we’ll be staying for a few weeks in a beach house with my family.  I’m so excited—Katherine and Kevin are flying up with Sophie, so we’ll get lots of beach baby time!  Europe was awesome, but it was pretty intense— I felt like we were constantly running around, seeing sites and doing stuff.  I’m all for activity-heavy trips, but I like a nice, relaxing, “do nothing” vacation just as much.  I have a feeling we’ll be doing a whole lotta nothing on this trip, which is fine with me!

The dogs are coming with us, which we’re also really excited about—neither of them has been to the beach before!

But, I don’t think they’ve figured out yet that they’re not being left behind:

blog 003

Poor Ella! Have you ever seen a more worried cattle dog?

And yes, that is Ryan’s boom box in the background from circa 1995.  I’m pretty sure he uses it to play his Jock Jam and Now That’s What I Call Music, Volume 1 cds when I’m not home.  (PS—did you know they’re up to number 34 on the NWICM albums?!?  That makes me feel really old.)

After a long morning of packing, we headed downstairs for lunch:

blog 004

Mmmm…the perfect lunch for clearing out the fridge.  Sunshine Burger salad with spinach, romaine, carrots tomatoes, sprouts, pickles, and avocado.

blog 007

Whoever says ketchup can’t be used as salad dressing is a fool.

Oh, and in case you’re wondering about the title of this post…my sister just e-mailed me an article about a great white shark that was just spotted off the coast of Massachusetts.  Awesome.

Remind me not to do any midnight skinny-dipping on this trip.

See you tonight!

1. June 30, 2010 5:58 pm

Haha at the Jaws video – Jaws ruined the sharks’ reputation, it’s so sad! I love them, I think they’re so beautiful 🙂
    Your little dog looks just like my dog! Is he/she a Jack Russel?
    Have a good trip 🙂

• June 30, 2010 9:31 pm

I know– he does look a lot like yours! He’s a rat terrier mix, but he could definitely have some Jack Russell in him. We got him when he was just a teeeeeeny puppy, and a friend of ours found him on the street, so we don’t really know his background!

2. June 30, 2010 6:11 pm

You’ve been so busy! And is it just me, or does everyone seem to be moving now?!

That salad DOES look perfect. Kitchen sink salads are always a hit or a miss… yours was definitely a hit!

3. Emily permalink
    June 30, 2010 6:38 pm

Just found out about your blog and, while I’m not a vegetarian, I look forward to your food insights! Also, as a Bostonian, I am excited to hear about your upcoming trip. I hope you love the city. Please let me know if you need any pointers!

• June 30, 2010 9:32 pm

Thanks for commenting, Emily! We’re really excited for our time in Boston!

4. Ginger permalink
    June 30, 2010 6:39 pm

I think we might have to just sacrifice Baxter – send him out about 30 minutes before the rest of the group to swim. Do you think he would be willing?

• June 30, 2010 9:32 pm

Ha! We’ll sacrifice Sophie before Baxter. Newest family member = shark bait.

5. June 30, 2010 6:51 pm

What a GORGEOUS salad!! Have a wonderful trip!! 🙂

6. June 30, 2010 6:51 pm

“Whoever says ketchup can’t be used as salad dressing is a fool.”

I couldn’t agree more!

7. June 30, 2010 7:28 pm

I have a circa 1995 boombox too!

8. June 30, 2010 7:31 pm

You cracked me up with your boom box “jock jams” reference!!

Totally reminds me of high school 😉

9. June 30, 2010 7:32 pm

Oh, poor pups. Thank goodness they get to join in the fun this time around!! Oh and I seriously remember when they had gotten all the way to NTWICM 10!!! I think I may still have a couple kicking around LOL. Hope you guys have a safe drive tomorrow.

10. June 30, 2010 7:36 pm

LOVE the salad. Im a huge sunshine burger fan too!
    i use my computer as a boom box…
    have a great beach vaca!

11. Emo permalink
    June 30, 2010 7:50 pm

I love Jimmy Buffet! Nice reference. Poor sweet puppies! Maybe if you bought them swimsuits or life jackets they would understand.
    Have fun at the beach!

• June 30, 2010 9:33 pm

I just bought Ella a polka dotted summer dress…expect a blog appearance soon 🙂

I’m guessing Diego rocks a speedo in the summer?

12. patti permalink
    June 30, 2010 7:54 pm

I love the pictures of the dogs – they do look forlorn; afraid that they are going to be left behind again. Have a great time and we look forward to seeing you at the end of July.

• June 30, 2010 9:34 pm

Thanks, Patti! We’re really excited for your visit too! Y’all have fun at the coast!

13. June 30, 2010 7:58 pm

Loving the boom box! 😉

14. June 30, 2010 8:28 pm

My poor little pup kept laying down in my suitcase last week. So pathetic!

Have a great time in Nantucket! Awesome place to be for the 4th. One of my fave parts about living up here!

15. June 30, 2010 8:39 pm

Ketchup and mustard really do make a great salad dressing! I remember one 30 Minute Meals when Rachael Ray actually did make a proper dressing out of both plus relish and some kind of vinegar.

16. June 30, 2010 9:39 pm

Oh my gosh…too cute!!! Ella does seriously look worried! haha! Have a great trip pretty one!

17. June 30, 2010 10:41 pm

I almost died about the shark. Sure didn’t help my sea creature fear.

18. June 30, 2010 11:14 pm

hi anna, i’m a new reader! i can’t believe i never found your blog before! I cannot wait to try some of your new recipes!! we have a lot, of similar tastes i’m so excited 🙂 nice to meet you!

• July 1, 2010 12:46 am

Hi Alexa! Thanks for commenting,and welcome!

19. Kristi permalink
    June 30, 2010 11:34 pm

Poor Bella and Baxter. The last time I took Mom to the coast was in an RV. Poor Beau camped out all day in the RV while I packed it up, afraid he’d be left behind. Maybe if you zipped them up in the bag?

Have a great time!

20. June 30, 2010 11:37 pm

Oh heck yeah! Burger salads are the best! Dang woman…you are going on another vacation. Can I move in with you? Good luck packing! Be careful on the drive!

21. July 1, 2010 12:10 pm

Another vacation! You’re a lucky lady!!
    I think ketchup should pretty much go on anything…

22. July 1, 2010 1:57 pm

Hi! just found your blog via sunshine burger on facebook. Very nice! I also live in PA and am a new vegan. Can wait to see what you cook up next!