Kale-y Kapowski

June 28, 2010

I seriously tried to come up with a blog title for the last ten minutes, and that is ALL I could think of.  I’m sorry.  Or, you’re welcome.

This afternoon, I settled down for a nice massage:

No, unfortunately, not that kind of massage.  Not the kind that releases toxins and soothes sore muscles…the kind that leaves you elbow-deep in kale and olive oil.  Just as relaxing, right?

This is actually my second attempt at massaged kale salad.  You can read about my first attempt here.  It was really tasty, but I wanted to do a little fine-tuning this time around.

Last time, I tore the kale into pieces, and this time I cut the kale into chiffonade strips.  I like this method much better—for some reason, it just seems to work better for softening the kale.  After “stripping” all of the kale, I cut the kernels off two ears of fresh sweet corn, and tossed it all into a bowl.

As for the “massage oil” (ha), for this salad, I combined 1/4 cup olive oil, the juice of 2 limes (about 1/3 cup), 1 tbsp. lime zest, 1 tbsp. honey 3 tbsp. fresh basil (chopped), and salt and pepper.  You might want to take a whisk to it just to make sure that it’s all properly combined.

blog 005

This marinade/dressing was awesome, and would be really tasty on a regular salad as well.

I poured the marinade over the kale, and then, for the next twenty minutes, the kale and I got down and dirty.  It was like we were in one of The Bachelor’s fantasy suites.  But a lot less desperate.

“To true love! And tabloids!”

After massaging the kale for twenty minutes, it went from this:

blog 012

…to this:

blog 013

And voila! Massaged kale salad!  Right before serving, we added avocado chunks for a little more substance.  Perfect.

blog 014

blog 016

blog 017

Hope your weekend has been a fun one!

See you tomorrow, kids!

1. June 28, 2010 12:59 am

Hey girl – thanks for sharing this method. I’ve been a bit leery of massaged kale. I like kale, but I like it cooked, very well done as a matter of fact! Oh, and don’t you just hate it when the title for the post doesn’t come to you??? I’ve felt that way a lot recently.

2. June 28, 2010 1:16 am

I’m going to say it: Best post title ever.

3. greensandjeans permalink
    June 28, 2010 1:21 am

Did you see that Zach Morris and his wife broke up? Maybe the Zach Attack and I could still happen…

• June 28, 2010 1:31 am

I know! Apparently she was cheating on him with Jeff Probst from Survivor. Poor Zach…another Jeff stealing another one of his girls.

Oh well. It’s only a matter of time before Jeff Probst cheats on her at an 18 and older dance club.

4. thehungryscholar permalink
    June 28, 2010 1:32 am

I’ve never had kale before. I need to try that.

I agree on the title’s awesomeness.

5. June 28, 2010 1:40 am

You massaged kale for 20 minutes!??!?!?! That’s ridiculous!!! It looks delicious though! I’ve never tried it!

6. June 28, 2010 4:37 am

love your simple-stupid post 🙂

massaged kale. I just flood mine with dressing as it’s “massage” and allow to sit for 5-10 mins. Oh, such a rebel, i know!

7. June 28, 2010 6:44 am

This sounds fab doll!! I love, love, LOVE kale and am looking for a new recipe to jazz it up! Thank you!

You are too funny….

xxoo

8. June 28, 2010 11:02 am

You know this post had me drooling!

9. June 28, 2010 11:03 am

Never tried this method of eating Kale before – looks delicious though!

10. June 28, 2010 12:29 pm

I have never massaged my kale before. I am definitely going to try this method out soon! Thanks for sharing it! Have a great day today!

11. June 28, 2010 1:03 pm

Looks really good….although I have never had Kale before. 😉

12. June 28, 2010 1:28 pm

mm that seems like a really nice seasoning “rub” for kale. I’ve been meaning to switch mine up from plain ol’ olive oil!

13. June 28, 2010 2:30 pm

Despite of my dislike of Kelly, this massaged Kale looks wonderful! Who doesn’t enjoy a good massage every now and then?!

14. June 28, 2010 6:11 pm

This looks wonderful, I’ve actually never tried a massaged kale salad and must now! Love the post title!

15. June 28, 2010 9:35 pm

mmm LOVEEEE me some green monstas!!!!! they are perfect for summer- i swear i feel BETTER after i drnk them. prob in my head but whatever! haha

16. actorsdiet permalink
    June 29, 2010 12:01 am

i really want me a massage. and a massaged kale salad!

Trackbacks