New Food, New Fun

June 25, 2010

Hi friends! Thanks for all your positive feedback on the living room! You all had some really great suggestions for what to do with that corner space as well…we’ll have to see what develops.

This morning, around eleven, we hit the road and headed up to State College.  We were really excited to try a new raw, vegan restaurant that our old yoga teacher had recommended: the Enchanted Kitchen.

blog 009

I’m so glad that we gave this a try—it was so good!  The space is half restaurant, half yoga studio, and we picked up a schedule of the classes—I can’t wait to try some out!

As for the food, it was…well, enchanting.  🙂

The menu was small—they offered three daily specials, plus smoothies.  We decided to get two of the specials and share.  Here are the descriptions of the dishes, via the restaurant’s website:

Yemaya-Thai-Mania:

Crisp leaves of Chinese Cabbage, filled with Yemaya’s Delight, cucumbers, red peppers, avocado, pineapple AND mango (I couldn’t decide between the two, so I just decided to add both!) and drizzled or slathered..you choose…with Basil-Lime Thai-hini.

and…

Market Medley Quiche:

Imagine a medley of local veggies: zucchini, cauliflower, broccoli, parsley, and some not yet local..carrots, sundried tomatoes and celery…marinated in balsamic vinegar, olive oil and a few other secrets…The zucchini in thin strips as the first layer..the rest of the veggies minced and pressed, then topped with herbed ‘mashed potatoes’ (cauliflower and cashews) then warmed in the dehydrator till everything is delicious and warm and the potatoes have just enough crisp…THAT is Raw Vegan Quiche!

Yum!

blog 010

blog 011

blog 013

blog 012

Both dishes were excellent.  The Basil-Lime Thai-hini sauce that came with the lettuce wraps was AWESOME.  It was super spicy and delicious.

We talked to the owner, April, for a while, and she was so sweet.  I’m SO excited to have a place like this relatively close—I feel like I read the blogs of people who live in big cities, and I get so jealous of all the great vegan and vegetarian restaurants available.  Now we have our own little raw gem!

We wrapped up our meal with a delicious coconut-chai smoothie:

Our newest and most loved…the Choco-Chai, an energizing and uplifting frozen fantasy of Banana, Apple, Cashew, Ginger, Coconut, Cacao and a few things we just can’t tell you.

blog 014

This was SO good.  Plus we got to drink it out of two straws, which felt very Elizabeth Wakefield and Todd Wilkins.

After our delicious lunch, we headed over to the State College farmers’ market.  This was our first time to go, and I immediately fell in love.  It’s on the smaller side, but much bigger than Altoona’s.  The vendors were selling everything from fresh produce to homemade pasta to raw milk and cheeses to freshly-baked breads.  They even had a wood-fired oven for pizza! We scored some excellent fresh produce (peas, asparagus, strawberries, tomatoes, and basil), plus some pesto bread.  Yum!

After the farmers market, we had yet ANOTHER fun food adventure on our hands before heading back to Altoona.  Though we’ve lived here for a year, we’ve never been to Wegman’s, which everyone says is State College’s answer to Whole Foods.  We decided that it was time to see if it was as great as everyone says it is.

The verdict?

I loved it!  I can’t believe we’ve lived here for a year and are only just now discovering it! It had a great selection of produce and foodie products, plus a HUGE area with a variety of hot bars, just like Whole Foods.  We will definitely be heading back very soon.  We’re leaving for the beach in a week, so I tried to contain myself…but we ended up with a lot of fun new food.  What can I say…I’m a grocery store whore.  Sad, but true.

Hope you’re having a good Friday! I’m going to a yogalates class this afternoon, and then we’ll be cooking up some of our fresh new produce for dinner tonight!

See ya!

1. June 25, 2010 8:41 pm

It’s true, I am a grocery whore too! I think that is a good thing!!! Sounds like a great day you two had! We don’t have Wegmans here, but my parents do and they LOVE it! I hope you have a great evening and can’t wait to see what you do with all that produce!

2. June 25, 2010 11:36 pm

I love how you make references to things that I don’t even get and here I am thinking I know everything celebrity/gossip/Hollywood.

So you’re going to have to educate me who Elizabeth Wakefield and Todd Wilkins are

3. June 26, 2010 12:42 am

Just an FYI, and I don’t even know if this is true, but I thought I heard somewhere that Chinese Cabbage was not healthy to eat raw. It has some sort of effect on the thyriod… again, I never really looked into it to see if it was true because I never eat it, but in case you maybe want to check it out? Either way, I’m sure the one or two pieces you had today aren’t about to do anything.

I LOVE all the SVH references! I forgot all about those books till you mentioned them, makes me want to find and read a couple for old time’s sake 🙂

4. June 26, 2010 1:13 am

Boy does that look AMAZING! I really wish my small town had a few good local vegetarian-themed restaurants.

5. June 26, 2010 1:56 am

That restaurant looks great! So fresh and yummy. 😀

6. June 26, 2010 2:55 am

Um, can I just say that I am OBSESSED with you for mentioning Elizabeth Wakefield and Todd Wilkins?

7. Ginger permalink
    June 26, 2010 12:07 pm

That restaurant looks delicious – so nice that you have one so close! Ya’ll seem to be finding all kinds of new, exciting places around Altoona. Good for you!

8. June 26, 2010 12:39 pm

I love Wegman’s. Whenever I am down by the Jersey Shore I make an effort to go there – Love it!

9. June 26, 2010 12:46 pm

The Enchanted Kitchen sounds great! I love the name, too. Have a great weekend!

10. June 26, 2010 1:22 pm

So jealous – would love to have a restaurant like that around. How fun.

11. thehungryscholar permalink
    June 26, 2010 2:17 pm

That frozen fantasy looks awesome. You should try to recreate it, and then share the recipe.

12. June 26, 2010 3:36 pm

Love the SVH reference…I think I read every single book in that series!!

That quiche looks so good, I would love to try that! For some reason I can’t find good raw restaurants in L.A. You’d think they’d be a dime a dozen around here!

13. Danielle permalink
    June 26, 2010 4:27 pm

Hi! I just stumbled upon your blog as I was researching the Enchanted Kitchen to see if I should try it. My husband and I moved to State College about a year ago and we’ve been on the lookout for healthy restaurants. Your blog post about the Enchanted Kitchen made me inspired to try it! Then I started looking through your blog – you have great recipe ideas! And great food photography!

A couple of months ago, I embarked upon a project of trying to eat only macrobiotic foods for a month… It was an adventure! It was a no-dairy, whole-foods extravaganza. I’ve incorporated some recipes from that month into my daily repertoire. Here’s the blog I wrote from the macrobiotic month if you want to check it out: http://macroforamonth.weebly.com/

Have you checked out the Elk Creek Cafe in Millheim, PA? It’s not a vegetarian place, but it has nice rotating plates of well-crafted food, with lots of local menu items. (There’s always at least one vegetarian entree in the mix there, too.)